1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by houston#1, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Do you like McHale?

1. Yes

31.6%
  2. No

68.4%
  1. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Mchale about to coach youngest team in the league to playoff. I do think he deserve another year with a short leash. If Rockets don't improve in standing next season, I hope DM changes coaches.

And yes I do like Mchale as person.

2. conquistador#11

it's like we don't know what we're doing out there.

thankfully our glorious gm assembled a unit of highly intelligent bball players that compete in a team environment. mchale can't even get the ball to unstick, unless it's harden's twin's brother that mchale is referring to.

3. munco

munco Member

The youngest team thing is so overblown. We're 7 months younger than the Nuggets and OKC or something along those lines.

4. MFBTY

MFBTY Member

Mchale coached the youngest team to the playoffs, or the youngest team's talents got themselves into the playoffs?

Mchale's in-game adjustments? lol How many close games have we won?. He coaches defense in practice? over 100 pts allowed...He practices with the big men, Dmo is spotting up for 3s and how many times have we run a post play this season?...He gives awesome halftime speeches...

5. otisthorpe3

otisthorpe3 Member

Yep, and Harden and Asik have playoff experience, it's not like they are new to the playoff run

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I never liked McHale the basketball player much. I always thought he was a dirty player. But listening to him speak over the years I had kindof grown to like him. Now as a coach I am not crazy about him ... Not personal or at least not completely. I certainly have empathy for him as a person. But as a coach I would rather have someone else. I think the Rockets have a great coaching staff. I like Dean Cooper, Bickerstaff and Finch and I really like Sampson. Out of all the options he is who I want for our next coach. No need to look somewhere else. I loved his style during his toour as interim and even though we only went 7-6 I thought he got the team playing in a winning way and we kind of changed the dichotomy of the team under his reign.

7. WSWhippets

WSWhippets Member

Logical fans like all the Minnesotans? You are on crack. For me personally it has **** all to do with Lin's playing time and everything with having zero set plays, a different mad alchemist rotation every night where players (NOT just JL) don't know if or when or how long they will play or get yanked, and very poor ability to make in game strategic adjustments that work. His version of strategic adjustments involves shuffling a lineup. This is not to say he hasn't done it successfully before--it is just exceedingly rare. Harden, and on occasion Asik, Chandler or Jeremy, have made him look really good, but is he a quality coach? No. He is a hall of fame player, but so was Isaiah Thomas.

8. WSWhippets

WSWhippets Member

We get too sticky. The ball gets sticky. Anything else? They got sticky with the ball. Thanks.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Scanning through their rosters the math doesn't seem to make sense. Rockets current 8/9 man rotation compared to Denver/OKC, by order of minutes played

Rockets Denver OKC

23 29 24
    24 25 24
    24 24 23
    26 23 28
    30 36 29
    22 26 28
    22 23 32
    24 25 22
    21 25 25

The Rockets are noticeably younger, especially if you weigh them by minutes played. Also, the Rockets have a huge disadvantage in experience. I mean, there's a difference between Durant's 24 and Parsons 24.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL at the the results. Most of those guys are 2012ers.

11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I never said I hated McHale as a person. I loved McHale off the court, but not on the court.

12. muas2010

muas2010 Member

I have a feeling Clutch is going to edit the results to flip it.:grin:

13. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Hahaha he's doing a better job with this roster than most NBA coaches would have done.

Go to sleep LOFs

14. munco

munco Member

Looking at the numbers you posted, it still doesn't seem like a big difference. The average age of the rosters is only a difference of months.

Again it sounds nice to say "OMG we're the youngest team and in the playoff hunt." But if you have a superstar and talent surrounding him, unless you're the Lakers you should be winning. Can you imagine Lebron or Durant not making the playoffs even if they had a young supporting cast? Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, etc. have led young teams to the playoffs in the past. A true superstar in his fourth year in the league should be taking his team to the playoffs.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Chris Paul in his 4th year with David West and Tyson Chandler, 39-43? Chris Paul not a superstar?

I can't say anything about Durant because in Durant's 4th year, he already had a 2nd-team All-NBA player and one of the best 6th man in Westbrook and Harden. Nor for Lebron/Howard since they did well in the East. Not exactly the hardest competition. They won 55, 50, and 52 games respectively.

Harden whose 2nd best player on the team is Asik is on pace for roughly 45 wins.

16. munco

munco Member

Good point, but it's a general rule of thumb that most people subscribe too. If you're a true superstar you're expected to take your team to the playoffs even if the team is young. Superstars get to the playoffs. Harden is a superstar. His team should make the playoffs.

17. TheresTheDagger

This team was pre-season picked for the lottery. They are the youngest in the league. There is two returning players from last years team.

Right now, we look to be either the #7 or #6 seed in the west with the best record in 4 years.

I'd say he's doin just fine.

1 person likes this.
  18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I thought we are here voting for whether you like McHale as a "basketball" coach, not as a person since most of us don't know him personally.

How did he get so many "No" votes? Didn't he coach this Rockets team to more wins than basically everyone expected so far? I don't get this???

19. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

He also coached last season's team to an epic late season collapse. Why didn't he get credit for that?

The difference in expectations is how James Harden has performed.

20. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

Agreed - most NBA coaches would not be able to go over .500 with a top 3 SG on the roster.