1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin's scrutiny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaitanuva, Nov 2, 2012.

1. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

yes I still follow the Knicks even though they have been the laughing stock, old age retirement home of the NBA for the last 10 years

2. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Now I see what you mean. But the guy was a journalist, he's not Lin fan, not Rockets fan, he was told to ask the Lin question. I bet he would ask why Machado did not start the game if he was told too.

3. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I think the player only fan thing is an interesting question. I follow a fair few sports to varying degrees, yet I've never been really able to commit to a single team for an extended period of time.

My brother and cousins make fun of me for this and say I am a glory hog etc. They all have their particular teams which they follow ardently, no matter what. Sometimes I think that I'm missing out on some of the emotions that goes along with being such a hardcore fan. Does this mean I love sports, or the sport in question less than someone who is only dedicated to a single team?

For me though, it has never really made sense. If I like a player, or a coach, or a team's general ethos, I'll watch them and look forward to watching them, but often I will root for the underdog. I quite enjoy being the neutral and often I get just as worked up about games as a hardcore fan might if I think the refs made bad calls or the result was unfair. That being said, I have developed a certain affinity for teams I've followed more closely in the past and I like to see them doing well but not to the point of saying I'm a fan of that team only.

The only team I support irrespective of quality of play/player composition/coach is my national team, Ireland.

I actually was liking the knicks and would probably have kept supporting them, but Melo's girlish, cancery attitude, throwing games in order to get his coach fired as well as throwing Lin under the bus because he couldn't deal with another playing getting love from the knicks fans, as well as Dolan being a little crybaby b****, really put me off them. I still like Tyson though, the man is a machine.

4. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

its easy to spot the trolls they have a baiting nick

LINMVP

make a outlandish statement.... usually less than 2 lines

then dont back up those statements or reply to your post

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Look I couldn't care less which team or how long you supported them for, or which player caused you to start watching the NBA, as a matter of fact I don't even care that you only support Lin or some other player on the team

There has been plenty of posters on this forum that registered because of one player. I've seen Dragic fans when he got here, Martin fans when he got here, Hayesfan who came just for Hayes etc. But almost all of them (excluding some of the TOF's and YOF's) has been very respectful to the forum and fanbase. They presented their unique knowledge of the players, didn't go complete apeshiet when their favorite player is criticized and didn't group together and circle jerk and cry about how unwelcoming CF was. They listened and respected Rockets fans, didn't making stupid condescending threads like "I wanna Know how much you watched Lin last season". We liked all of them and all of us got along well.

Suddenly Lin Fans show up, becomes extremely vocal and jumps on anyone's throat for criticizing Lin or even missing former Rockets players. And when they are told to STFU, they proceed to label anyone that find them annoying, "Lin haters" or even racists, and then proceed to b**** and moan about how Rockets fans don't want new supporters.

2 people like this.
  6. pnr

pnr Member

Clutchfans turning into ESPN community boards.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They are here to look for stuff to be mad about. They are beyond sensitive. They make Ralph Tresvant look cold...

They probably don't even know who Ralph Tresvant is. Or New Edition or Bobby Brown.

Even the Yao and Tmac fans never labeled Rocket fans as Tmac haters or Yao haters. They just know that Rocket fans are team first fans.

You don't have to say anything bad about Lin for them to be mad. If you don't mention him, they'll get mad. At least with the Tmac fans you have to say the words "KOBE KOBE KOBE" a few times before they get all spazmatic .

8. MKL

MKL Member

I've read this board for over 10 years and I can tell you that it was never that far from ESPN board. It's pot kettle black.

People need to get off their high horse. How many Yao has butter fingers and Steve Francis can't play team ball or throw simple entry pass posts were there?

It's always been dysfunctional here, why blame the new people? You seriously think stopping new posters will help the quality of posts here? You'll only alienate your fans.

9. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Ok ok. I like you as a poster, Apollo, but we haven't seen this kind of volume in Fans of a particular player before. It should be fine but I guess it rubs us wrong when Mr. Lin gets treated as bigger as the team. Factor in the catch-22 that we want so desperately for the rockets to succeed and we have a quandary. When the Rockets play well but Jeremy's line isn't all that fingers are pointed. But we won!

Lin is loved because he's a team first guy. Shouldn't we as fans follow suit? Can you imagine if Lin put up his Knicks numbers in Houston:eek:

Join up with this team. Or kiss my @ss.

Lin, Harden, Parsons, Patterson, Asik

Wins are all that matter.

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

orly_owl.jpg

You're here long enough to know that's not the case. Remember the Yao fans? I'm one of them actually... :grin: I just choose to stay because I grow to love the team.

11. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Ok. My statement wasn't meant as a blanket. I'm glad you're still here.

Keep coming back it works if you work it!

12. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Still going on strong for these shi ts and people still claiming a fan of the team..keep it up...WTF.

13. King Boo

King Boo Member

You act like like Clutchfans was some shining forum on a hill before Lin fans showed up. Don't act like your **** don't stink 2009er.

In this post, you "b**** and moan" about Lin fans b****ing and moaning. :rolleyes: You say Clutchfaners used to be "respectful" before this year, but that's hard to believe looking at certain vet posters like yourself or trollman. How 'bout you clean up your **** first before I listen to anything you have to say about "respect."

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Honestly at this point I think this thread should be closed and moderation should be heavier for a little while. I'm pretty sure 90%+ of users on this forum like Lin, I don't know why it's such an issue.

15. kinein

kinein Member

Its not an issue, there are just a few outspoken people that like to use stereotypes and vague references for/against.

The good thing is they haven't begun to create an artificial divide with those fans that came from OKC or the Bulls.

Then you have a few guys randomly create accounts recently that don't make any sense.

People, use the ignore function if you find someone that really rubs you the wrong way.

16. kinein

kinein Member

Instead of saying it as if all Lin Fans are doing this - it would be more helpful to say whom - by username then I suggest you ignore them or at least - switch to using their usernames ~ and quote/reply specifically toward them.

To avoid using racial overtones - if 10 martians are bugging you, it doesnt mean the other 100 million martians are the target of your hate. just those 10 martians. So its best to use names - so you can at least control the extent to which the divide grows.

17. kinein

kinein Member

You could close the thread, but then the argument would be started in another thread. Old and new have to coexist or use the ignore function - or get moderated.

18. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

agreed 100%. this thread should be closed.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

clean up what act, I don't think I have ever hated on Lin in any of my posts, but people insist that I'm a hater or whatever.

The funny thing is this forum hasn't had problems with new fans in the past 3-4 years until you guys showed up. I have read on various Knicks and GS boards how annoying the Lin fanboys are. I guess it's a thing with Lin fans eh, annoy the hell out of basketball forums and then blame it on the forums for being unfriendly and a shethole.

20. MKL

MKL Member

Let me say this, no respectable forum should allow personal attacks. If you have something to say about a player or a team, stay on topic.

Personal attacks are the worst type of discussion, it's a complete waste of time.

This thread as 3 or 4 others were to discuss Jeremy Lin. Yet again, it's turned trollfest and baiting.