1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Top Player Acquisition Targets/Changing my signature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Maybe because Noel has more bust potential. He is a potential Thabeet, but hopefully becomes a Mutombo.

2. AFS

AFS Member

He said picking 4-8, as in draft picks. I think he meant we'd be bad.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Oh. My mistake then. Thanks for the clarification.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well I guess you could scratch Ibaka off that list...

5. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Let me start a thread about it.

6. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Jopatmc, this is a criticism post. Your other posts are usually good but this is lacking quality but you keep bumping it.

The thing is, all you've done is list very good to excellent players who could be available and given them your own ranking with a lot of words. As I see it, most people would follow this ranking. How is this an innovative or new idea? Any team would love to have Chris Paul or Cousins or next year's highest draft picks...

Ibaka was never a serious option - OKC was always going to extend him; the Rockets are not the only brainy organization.

In short: yeah, duh.

Please don't be too offended - it's to give you perspective

1 person likes this.
  7. jc9495

jc9495 Member

Morey's #1 target: Does it really ****ing matter because it's not going to happen.

8. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Should we go after Yi Jianlian?

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

He and darko are signing with real madrid.

10. wadero

wadero Member

Wish we get Favors instead of Big AL

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What's your list?

It's not as simple as just a top players list. You'll notice Bynum isn't on there. Neither is Love or a host of others. And it's fine to say in hindsight that Ibaka was never acquirable. And I did state that I thought OKC would keep both him and Harden. But Harden is still on the list because he is pending a restricted few agent season and contract offer. So, he is in play....until his contract situation is settled going forward. So he has to be right close to the top of Morey's list until he either extends or signs an offer sheet.

Criticism doesn't bother me. I don't think you understand the purpose of the list and this thread. I'm looking to read what some of the rest of the posters see in possible player targets to see if it makes sense to me so I can watch things and read the tea leaves so to speak regarding published rumors.

#91 jopatmc, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think that Morey is watching Kevin Love, DeMarcus Cousins and Andrew Bynum in that order.

It will be interesting to see how Love is feeling if Minny struggles out of the gate and up to the trade deadline. Same thing in regards to how Sactown will feel about Cousins if they continue to lose and he acts up.

Bynum will play for whomever will pay him so PHI has the inside track big time, but maybe something happens there to mess up that relationship.

13. jopatmc

Problem with Love is this is the first year of his extension. He really can't get away for a couple seasons. So, it is highly doubtful that Minnesota would trade him even if he was disgruntled right now. I'm sure Morey is watching him and would love to have him (no pun). But the likelihood of him coming available through trade is very low the next couple seasons. About like the likelihood that DWade gets on the trade block in the next couple seasons.

I am convinced Morey does not like Bynum because of his lackadasical attitude and lack of leadership skills. I am also convinced that Philly is going to re-sign him and they are going to get to enjoy all his childishness for the next 5 seasons along with all his injuries, etc. At this time, I am convinced Morey isn't interested in Bynum. Because he could have had him had he wanted him.

The reason why I put Cousins at the top of the list is we know Morey liked him before. And he does have the potential to usurp the big man throne away from Dwight down the road. And the fact is....if he gets fed up this season in Sactown, then they start to lose trade leverage if they don't move him because after next season he is entering restricted free agent status. Combined with that is the fact that we are sitting here with the Toronto pick in a draft with Noels and CZeller in it. Sacramento may be willing to move him for the opportunity to get one of those guys if they feel like he is checking out on them. DeMarcus is one of those players. He wants to compete, play in the playoffs, compete for rings, and play winning ball. He's not going to be happy with Tyreke iso and the rest of the guards dominating the ball. He's just not. They have to make him the centerpiece of the team or he's not going to be happy. And rightfully so. He's the best player they got and it's not even close. So, they either commit to him or they keep jacking around with his psyche and lose him.

14. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

No way in hell is Morey not interested in the 2nd best center in the league.

15. jopatmc

Keep lying to yourself. He could have had him and wouldn't do a 3-way trade for him. You should be able to read between the lines.

Edit: Don't be surprised if after this next season both Ibaka and Demarcus have surpassed Bynum in center rankings. And don't be surprised if Philly underperforms, especially come playoff time when the intensity level cranks up....and Bynum folds like a $3 dollar suit.

#95 jopatmc, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Haven't seen much of Favors. What's he like? Utah has all those frontcourt players. You'd have to think they would want to trade out for some balance.

And what about Kanter? I know nothing about him either.

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

My post wasn't really about the content but the manner; I probably shouldn't have responded in the first place. But since it's started:

My list is very similar. Currently the impact players we are looking to get all have contract obligations. The Rockets are in the most unfortunate position that we have to wait for player-organization relationships and contract statuses to change to have a chance at anyone. So the ranking is just your measure of which player-team relation is 'weakest' from the Rockets' perspective. In that sense, the list is fine but that doesn't mean that it is realistic. All it tries to show is who the Rockets will give an iPad to (those that pass Morey's scouting criteria also, ergo not Bynum), whether the player/team will even seriously consider the Rockets or not.

I share your point about Harden, which is exactly my point; the knowledgeable clutchfan already knows this ranking, maybe with some tweaks here and there. The Rockets' preferred type of player has become transparent to the fan and the league in the last few years. Beggars can't be choosers and that makes it easy to come up with your ranking.

Again: my problem is not with the ranking or the player but with the implication that most Clutchfans don't already know this. I shouldn't have brought up this silly issue, and will let it go now.

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

This isn't Morey's list, this is yours. You're not even providing evidence, just saying "Morey likes him," with no regard or insight into his strategy or planning.

Calling these "morey's top acquisition targets" is a pathetic attempt to lend credibility or grandeur to your mediocre posts.

19. jopatmc

It's my list of players that I think Morey is very interested in that have the potential to become available, either through trade, free agency, or draft in the next year to two years.

20. jopatmc

Rearranging my Morey's targets list after the Harden trade.