1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Top Player Acquisition Targets/Changing my signature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I just don't think Morey is interested in Evans. He may pick him up as a FA where there is no downside risk. But to acquire him by giving up a pick or talent, just don't see it.

And I agree about JSmoove, Iggy, and AL Jeff. Don't see us acquiring them unless we have already got another alpha or one of our youngsters turns into an alpha. That's why I threw out Motie as a possibility. If he turns into the real deal, then one of these players becomes a lot more interesting playing alongside Motie.

#61 jopatmc, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Do we really think Morey has a "target" list for the 2013 draft? Don't get me wrong, clearly they have a huge scouting team and Morey knows potential players names and goes on scouting trips - we've seen him at college events, overseas, etc. I'm not discounting that he has a feel for potential prospects.

But a target list? That includes Shabazz or Zeller? I mean, aren't they targets for every team in the league anyway? And who knows what changes. Last year Jared Sullinger was a top 5 pick potential and this year he went what, #20. Nobody knew how good Anthony Davis would be, or Kidd Gilchrist.

... just saying.

I think you're lists are generally on point, but somewhat of a mix of obvious, unreasonable, and reasonable. You were right about Asik, like CH. And you were of course right about Howard - but kind of everyone knew we wanted him, it was a matter of could we get him.

I think your current crop of NBA players is probably pretty good. It makes sense to target both OKC guys, because of the potential cap issues for the Thunder. target both, get one type of thing. The other NBA guys don't really excite me at all, but I could see Morey going after them.

3. jopatmc

Morey has a list of players, rated from #1 through 100 or whatever, players he'd like to have. Of course at the top of that list is Lebron, KD, and Dwight. But those guys are unacquirable right now. They're not on the market nor are they likely to be on the market in the next year.

I am going through players and simply picking out guys that I think are on the top of Morey's list that may be acquirable over the next year. Yes, Muhammed and Zeller are on the tops of everybody's list probably. But they are on Morey's list and they are acquirable most likely in the next year through the draft. That's why I put them on the list...because they are up there with the other guys on top of what Morey wants to do, I believe.

Bottom line is what I see is Morey maintaining flexibility going throughout this next season and just letting it play out. If one of Ibaka, Cousins, Harden, or Paul become available, then Morey will be involved in trying to bring them here.

Since the summer of Dwight and DWill is past, we are entering a new phase with this team. There doesn't appear to be any blockbuster type trade possibilities on the horizon that would transform us into a contender overnight like we could have been with the acquisition of one or more of Melo, Paul, Dwight, or even the combo of Pau/Nene.

The guys I listed are the guys I believe Morey likes a lot, that have big time potential to be franchise players, that are the most likely of all the franchise type players to become available over the next year, that we could possibly acquire. I don't think Morey is interested in Bynum. I may be wrong there. Bynum may put up a monster season and Morey might show that he wants him. Or Bynum may stink it up in Philly, hate it there, tell them he's walking after the season, and force a trade out, at which time Morey will most likely be able to hand Philly the best deal. I simply don't think Morey wants Bynum at a max contract for the next 4-5 years. I don't think he's on Morey's list. Same thing with a guy like Tyreke Evans. I don't think Morey likes him.

Guys like Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio, I know Morey likes them. But the odds of them being on the trade market over the next year.....basically nil.

I'm watching guys like Batum and Aldridge. Portland is going to be interesting. Aldridge may get fed up and want out. If so, I'd have to shoot him up to close to the top of this list. But that's not happening right now. He's signed for a long time, like Love, and really can't force his way out. Both of those guys are under the control of their franchises. So, it's just not likely anything will happen in either case with them.

Batum, on the other hand, has animosity towards Portland. Wouldn't surprise me if he came out of the gates stinking up the place up there to try and get them to move him by the trade deadline. In that case, he's good, young player. I think Morey likes him a lot. Just not for sure what Morey would be willing to give up since he's on the books for $10+ mil per season. So, I didn't list him. And he also falls into that lower class on my list, a guy that really needs to be teamed with a franchise player.

Kapeche?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Nice post Jopatmc. I'm a huge Ibaka fan and i think he could be had as long as we were willing to max him out or close to. He's only 23 (24 by start of the season). I also am a huge Al Jeff fan. He's one of the most underrated players in the game. This is another player that will be near-max. He's only 27, and i think Houston can get him. I really like the idea of an Al Jeff, Asik, and DMo rotation in the front court.

If we go the Al Jeff route, we'd need to aquire another star pretty quickly, and hope to contend inside of 3 years, but if we go with Ibaka we probably have a little more time to build around him.

I just don't think Chris Paul is realistic, and Cousins won't even be a restricted free agent till 2014/15.

5. JayZ750

Did he say this somewhere? Just curious.

Rumors, albeit just rumors but substantiated rumors nonetheless, had DM looking to acquire Bynum if possible in a 3 team Dwight trade. If he was just after him a week ago, not sure why his position on Bynum as a player would have changed since? I agree that he likely isn't a target, but as a function of availability.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The top 4 guys on this list aren't going anywhere. The other NBA players on the list aren't difference makers. Bynum is better than anyone on this list. If this is what Morey is targeting, we better hope someone on this roster is a diamond in the rough, otherwise it's the same ol', same ol' situation.

However, I'm glad your sig is updated, man. We've all been on pins and needles waiting for that update.

1 person likes this.
  7. jopatmc

Well, so much for Ibaka. OKC is sooooo smart, so smart. They'll be contending for the next 5 years plus. I expect they'll break through at some point and get a ring, even in the face of Miami and LAL pulling their acquisitions.

So, Ibaka is gonzo. No chance OKC moves him now that they've signed him to an extension, at least not in the next couple years. And I really suspect Ibaka is there for the long haul now.

I'm going to move Al Jefferson up. He's approaching free agency. Unless Utah gets him to extend now, he'll most likely walk. He's a very good player and a front line rotation of him, Asik, Donuts, and Royce is probably about as good as you can get for now unless somehow we can acquire CZeller through the draft.

Al Jefferson only really needs one thing to his game right now....he needs to add the ability to draw fouls and get to the FT line. IF he could do that better, he could be one of the top 2 or 3 offensive big men in the league. And he's a decent defender besides.

I have overlooked Al for a long time. But the connections to McHale are obvious. Of course, I would expect Boston, if they are looking like championship contenders around the trade deadline, to go after Jefferson hard on the trade market. So, in his case, it may turn into a matter of what Morey is willing to give up for him. I don't think acquiring Jefferson is a deal where Morey would be willing to give up just anything. But if he came cheap, say Kevin Martin and Patrick Patterson for Jefferson, that would be the kind of deal McHale would probably bite on, but only if it came with a commitment from Jefferson to extend at a good price. Otherwise, Morey may just wait for free agency and try to sign him at that time to an undervalued contract.

In any case, Ibake out-Al Jeff moves up.

8. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

No one cares about your signature.

9. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

More people care about his sig than this meaningless comment that you just posted.

1 person likes this.
  10. JayZ750

Al Jefferson is a bellow average defender, blocks aside. Maybe Asik helps cover that but both are centers.

In the realm of above average players that would be nice as the third best on a championship team I'd rather have Josh Smith.

But I'd prefer neither. I could be wrong but I don't see Al on Moreys list except if gotten for a steal. Morey and les finally realize mediocre is just as bad as horrible. Al keeps us mediocre.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Agree on this one, AJ is probably only a free agent target next summer. I'm guessing Les only gave Morey a one year window to tank, and this is the year. Assuming Morey's hoping for 2 top 10 picks next summer, and AJ keeps us out of the top ten for our pick. That is, unless we trade for him at the deadline and we are already 20 games under .500 then.

12. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

That would be terrible.

13. jopatmc

See, I really think 2014 is the year to tank. I'm all for figuring out how to get that Toronto pick as high as possible and possible trading it away to someone this season for an unprotected pick for 2014 and then tanking in 2014. If you are going to tank, might as well go after Wiggins with 2 unprotected picks in 2014.

I kinda hope you're right about Les giving him one season to tank. But I just really, really doubt it. This team, as currently constructed is somewhere between #8 and #11 in the West. For us to tank, Morey has to tell McHale to tank, and McHale is gonna have to dump Lin on the bench for long stretches. I just don't see it happening.

14. teebone21

teebone21 Member

no to tanking cmon son dont adapt that china badmitton attitude

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think this team barring any huge improvements is picking #4-#8

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I think Les is giving Morey one season to "tank". Les pretty much said at Carlos' conference that he is comfortable with the roster we have.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is a Delfino press conference with Les?

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

4-8th in the West? No way. LAL LAC OKC Spurs Mem Denver Minny Utah Dallas all better than us.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. Sorry my bad. No there wasn't a press conference. There was a short Delfino chatting with one press guy in the gym. I thought Omer's was empty lol.

20. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

I'm surprised you listed Zeller but not Noel, any specific reason?