1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Top Player Acquisition Targets/Changing my signature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Don't see Zeller happening, but McAdoo could end up around the #5 slot in this upcoming draft. Would absolutely love to grab this kid somehow (trade up, I would assume, is the only way).

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Morey's gotta figure out how to leverage trade into this lottery to get a good shot at CZeller.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

More likely, I see a late lottery pick (around #10-12 or so?) being combined with 1-2 young players and offered up for a star in trades this summer.

4. jopatmc

Could be. Like who? Throw out some possibilities.

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Depending on how the Lakers' season goes and on how cheap Jim Buss wants to get, I could totally see Morey once again going hard after Pau Gasol. He'd only have one more year at super-max money and is probably a better player than anyone else the Rockets could realistically acquire. Then, in 2014, he either re-signs for less money or the Rockets go "all-in" for Lebron or Bosh if/when they opt out of their deals with Miami.

Just a theory, though.

6. jopatmc

I will say this. I would have Love at the top of this list if I thought he was acquirable.

Now, if Love gets sideways up there in Minnesota this season, after all the moves that they made to become a competitive playoff team, and if he stinks it up on the court so bad and starts throwing a fit about being traded, etc., then I am going to be very suspicious of tampering. I'm sorry, but Love is locked in up there for 3 more seasons. He's too good a player to start stinking it up. And Minnesota has too much talent to not be playoff competitive, especially when he returns.

So, if all that happens, I'm gonna be crossing my fingers and toes and hoping that Minny doesn't file tampering charges against us and McHale.

So, if that's the kind of deal you are thinking might take place, Bima...I'd love to get Love. But Minny has absolutely no reason to do trade him and if they did have a reason to trade him, youza, I'd be scared of the tampering charge.

Lamarcus?? -They just met up there and agreed to stay together for at least 2 more seasons. They're not trading him. I suppose that could change. Just don't see it.

Cousins?? He's on my list. I could see something possibly happening with him.

CP3 may happen but only a very, very small chance. And if it is going to happen it will be at the trade deadline. CP3 is not giving up a super max contract, so the Clippers will know that by the trade deadline. They'll have him verbally committed or they'll ride it out or there is a small possibility that they trade him. Frankly, I don't see it. But I've got him on my list simply because of his contract situation and the fact that he is a superstar.

Who else?

7. jopatmc

Well, in my opinion, the only way we get Gasol is if Morey can acquire him super cheap. Perhaps Atlanta sends Smith to the Lakers, Lakers send us Gasol, and we send Atl, Aldrich and other expirings along with one young player (Jones or Royce), and send the Lakers some expirings plus one of Morris/Patterson. Can't see Morey being willing to give up more than one of Morris/Patterson and one of White/Jones to make that deal happen.

Another possibility that probably has about the same chance of happening as CP3. I'll add him to the list. Just don't think it is likely unless Lakers continue to stink it up. I suspect Mike Brown gets fired long before they decide to move Gasol.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

How about solid young backups for the point and center? Besides his couple of slams, cole was terrible. Douglas is even worse, just out of control on the court. We really need to get 2 solid backups at these positions, i know we got rookies (and smith) that could maybe fill in those spots but there just not reliable enough if were gonna try to make a run for the playoffs.

A few player i would love for us: Eric Bledsoe, with chauncey coming back soon and with the acquisition of jamal and willie green the 2 (of course paul playing point) there wont be much room for bledsoe who deserves mins. He could really provide more than solid play backing up lin.

Timofey Mozgov: Solid 7'1 250 26 year old big man, he's no super star but he can get you around 5 points and boards of the bench along with a block. Right now he's behind kosta kufus and McGee, and with kosta's emergance of good play and with McGee i don't see him getting the mins he deserves as well.

Kosta Kufus: If we could get him, he would be one of the better bigs coming of the bench in the league. At only 23 years old, on a great contract with 3 mill for the next 3 years putting up 6.5 points and 7.5 boards along with a block and steal over the last 2 games he's a really nice player. He'd be difficult to get though with McGee coming of the bench with no sign of starting anytime soon kosta seems to be the nuggets starting C for this season, but if we offer the right package and the nuggs are ready to start McGee with Mozgov backing him up we could have a very good center rotation going with him and asik.

9. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Agreed on Bledsoe, but I doubt the Clippers give him up. Chauncey's on his last legs, and there's no guarantee that CP3 doesn't bolt in free agency next summer.

I'm pretty sure that the Rockets have inquired about Bledsoe's availability, though. He's got elite defensive ABILITY (although he hasn't fully realized that ability yet). Agreed that he'd be an ideal complement to Lin at the PG position.

10. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I feel that Bledsoe has the potential to be a good starting PG. I don't think he will want to play as backup to Lin. The Clippers will probably have to move him eventually if CP3 resigns to a team that needs a young PG with upside.

11. jopatmc

Yeah, I'm mainly talking about superstar/star players. I'm sure backups are a concern and I'm sure if Morey can flip a guy or two for something of better value and need, he'll do it. We do need a third veteran type backup PG/combo guard that can handle and run the offense. But that's not at the top of Morey's list of players he wants to acquire that could possibly be available over the next 12 months.

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with the majority of your targets, Jopatmc, but not J Smoove. If he was a player that could be had at a reasonable contract, I'm sure Morey would be interested despite the fact he's the type of boneheaded player that doesn't really fit Morey's mold. But he won't get a reasonable contract. I imagine he'll command a minimum of 10 million a year and it won't shock me if he gets a full max deal. There are a lot of dumb teams out there.

13. jopatmc

That's why he's on the list. He's a pending free agent, so there's a high probability that he will be traded by the deadline if he doesn't agree to a contract with the Hawks. And I agree with you. I don't think Morey trades for him unless he gets him for a little bit of nothing and he can re-sign him for a reasonable salary, something like $25 million for 3 years. Another note. The free agent market is getting tighter and tighter. We may be able to sign Smith...if Morey wants him...after the season for that kind of money...in light of the fact that teams are trying to avoid the luxury tax or rebuild. That's why he's on the list. He'd be a fit at the right price.