1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR Roy Williams to get a tryout with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...roy-williams-has-a-tryout-with-the-texan.html

Terrell Owens is not getting interest but former Cowboys WR Roy Williams has a tryout with Texans

While Terrell Owens is still trying to draw up interest from NFL teams another former Cowboys receiver, Roy Williams, is in Houston for a tryout with the Texans on Thursday, his agent Ben Dogra confirmed.

A nine-year veteran, Williams caught 37 passes and two touchdowns for the Bears last season and could give the Texans a much needed veteran presence at third receiver.

Behind starters Andre Johnson and Kevin Walter, the Texans do not have a single receiver on the roster who has caught an NFL pass.

Third-round draft pick DeVier Posey and fourth-round pick Keshawn Martin have potential but are unproven and Posey struggled in minicamp.

Williams, a former Longhorn star and Odessa, is excited about a second opportunity to return to his home state and play pro football. He says he is healthy and in great shape after working out summer in Dallas and plans to make the most of his tryout with the Texas.

Williams was a disappointment in two plus seasons with the Cowboys, catching just 94 passes and 13 touchdowns after coming over from the Detroit in 2008 for a first, third and sixth round pick.

He was cut after the 2010 season.

1 person likes this.
  2. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Worth a shot IMO

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

did even realize he was a free agent.

i'd take a chance on him. why the hell not?

4. Rockets34Legend

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
    Real Talk on Roy Williams. He's a big-bodied veteran who has a great chance of getting into camp with the Texans

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd rather give Owens a chance. Both are headcases, but at least TO has talent. Williams straight up sucks

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Worth a look to see what type of shape he is in. No difference between Williams and Walter in my opinion.

7. 713

713 Member

I emember back in 2010 when the cowgirls came here and roy torched our defense...meh

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Part of the Cowboys 'group' that failed Chicago last year--Hurd, Barber, Roy. I'd pass.

9. Rockets34Legend

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein
    If Roy Williams ends up making the Texans, it would be a safety net so I would expect one of Texans young WRs to get "injured" and hit IR

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Im good with this. Maybe Kareem will toughen up after getting flipped over by roy williams repeatedly in practice.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Roy Williams stopped trying 4-5 years ago.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26
    Per source: The Texans will also take a look at former Texans receiver Bryant Johnson tomorrow as well.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Roy isn't a headcase, he's just coasted by on natural talent since college. He loafs around in practice, doesn't concentrate, and drops way too many easy balls.

And I've followed him since he was at Odessa Permian. He's just lazy.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

lol...looks like playing for the Texans wasnt already a long enough look...maybe he's a totally different player these days.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I was looking forward to LeStar Jean and Keshawn Martin. Will Williams or Bryant Johnson be taking snaps from them? They seemed to be getting lots of praise.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we add a receiver, one of the receivers will get the shaft.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

would love to see Roy throw the horns up in the endzone for the Texans..

but sadly, i think he's been done in the NFL for a long time now

18. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

I could see him playing 3rd reciever with the younger guys on IR and practice squad. Roy Williams could be good for 30-45 catches, 2-4 TDs, and 300-500 yards this season. He is a large target and wouldn't be bad since hes has NFL experience.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Please say NO to Roy Williams, saw too many cowboys game to say he sucks.
    I definitely would prefer Mike Sims-Walker (who is going to try out for the Titans) over Roy Williams

I would even prefer giving T.O chance over Roy Williams.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

As a WR to fill out the depth chart? Why not, he's a veteran to help the rookies (even if he sucks), might as well take a chance on him