1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR Roy Williams to get a tryout with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I disagree. Kevin Walter has been a solid contributer. If RW can come here and top his production you'd be a fool to discount that.

2. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

No disrespect but other than blocking Kevin Walter has not been a solid contributer. He's a wide receiver who was given a ridiculous contract not because of his blocking skills but because the texans thought he could help Andre Johnson spread the field. And sorry to say but hasn't done that, he has actually underperformed and is being overpaid......:rolleyes:

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If Kevin Walter isn't blocking, he is completely useless

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I love how there's like a 95% chance any thread about Texans WRs will turn into a Kevin Walter debate.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yep....

[​IMG]

You have to anticipate a KW bash-fest when you get into the "intangible" of the position. Not saying there wrong but you had to know this was coming.

6. 713

713 Member

Kevin Walter sucks ass.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're comparing the 7th overall pick of a draft to a 7th round pick. If, in the present, we're far enough removed that draft slots no longer matter, fair enough - but for his career to have never amounted to much beyond that of Walter's is a pretty stinging indictment of Roy Williams.

Neither is/would be. Our "#2" WR is Daniels/Foster. Our "#2 WR" is, by design, routinely the team's 3rd, usually 4th, sometimes even 5th option on most plays.

One other thing about Walter: The guy got hurt last year. In fact, it was initially reported as a season-ending injury. It's impressive he wound up not missing any games (IIRC), but I have a hard time believing an injury that had season-ending potential didn't at the very least linger and bother him all year. He looked like he regressed significantly last year. He may have been playing hurt.

He's not an appreciably great WR, of course - but he's been solid every year and I think a lot of Texan fans underrate him because he's not what *they* think is a typical #2 WR (ie John Taylor - everyone's default template). If he is indeed 100% healthy (and wasn't last year), the Texans will be perfectly OK with him starting again.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Lance Z. tweeted that his guess is that Posey would end up being put on "IR" to stash him away for next season since he is a project and not ready to contribute, assuming Williams or Johnson is good enough to make the team. I think that's very likely unless we get an actual injury to one of the other guys or Lestar Jean blows in camp.

I've heard that Posey looked very raw during OTAs, so it wouldn't surprise me at all. It would probably take at least half a season before Kubiak would trust putting him out there.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

No way I can see them stashing Posey on IR given his was a 3rd round pick and the depth at WR isn't much. I think it's more likely assuming they sign Roy Williams or Bryant Johnson that one of those guys would be competing with Kevin Walter for a spot on this team. I think Andre Johnson, Lestar Jean, DeVier Posey, and Keshawn Martin are locks to make the team. They really seem to be high on Jean. In the end, I think the 5 Wrs on the team will be those 4 and Walter.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

*Team*? Or starting line-up? Because unless he has just fallen off a cliff and/or the youngsters play out of their minds this summer, a) there's no way Kevin Walter isn't making this team; b) there's only a slightly smaller chance he won't start.

Fans underrate him and Kubiak loves him.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Kevin Walter isn't going anywhere. He gets trashed on this board but he's a solid #2 in this offense (#4 option in the passing game, remember, so being WR2 is misleading). Last year fans expected him to do more with Andre out, but he's not going to be a guy you can go to for 8 or 10 catches a game. Could we upgrade over KW? Sure. But he's not getting cut for Bryant freakin' Johnson (who I hear from a couple of people I know in the org. will be signed over Roy Williams).

The reason they're signing a vet is bc Kubiak isn't comfortable going into the season with 3 rookies on the depth chart (at a difficult position to learn). Now, maybe Jean and Martin go nuts in preseason and change his mind. But if not, it's not unprecedented for this team to not even give a high draft pick a look during the season - see Brandon Harris, 2nd round pick. Stashing players on IR in order to keep them under contract happens all the time.

12. Asian Sensation

Is there anything worse than Roy Williams 1st down signal/celebration? Perhaps his stupid Longhorn TD celebration. Thank god I only have to see that about twice a year now.

13. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Sooo we're just gonna pretend Braylon Edwards isn't a free agent?

14. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Texans signed Bryant Johnson according to John McClain.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bryant Johnson and LB Keyaron Fox

16. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

I'm happy with it. I taught in Odessa when he played HS ball. He was outstanding. The QB would throw these little two yard and turn patterns to him out of the wing T. A stiff arm and 90 yards latter TD. The QB would end up with 300 yards passing and the ball never traveled in the air more than 30. I really hope he can stick and do well.

Go Mojo!

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

They didn't sign him.

18. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

Thanks, I guess I should pay more attention to what I read.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

WTF I thought Posey was ready to go.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Deservedly so. When AJ went down, he had to earn his contract. He didn't. He didn't elevate his play. He was still Kevin 2 Catches Walter.