1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR Roy Williams to get a tryout with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He doesn't earn his contract by replacing a top 3 WR. He earns his contract by being Kevin "2 catches" Walter.

Let me give you a smattering of NFL recievers which are making less than or somewhat equal to Kevin Walter's average salary of 3.65 million:

Brad Smith $3,750,000
    Julio Jones $4,000,000 **
    Harry Douglas $3,125,000
    Jacoby Jones $3,250,000
    Earl Bennett $3,700,000
    AJ Green $4,900,000 **
    Dez Bryant $2,360,000 **
    Demaryius Thomas $2,431,000 **
    Jordy Nelson $4,450,000
    Donald Driver $2,300,000
    Mike Thomas $3,809,000
    Lee Evans $1,496,875
    Davone Bess $2,337,500
    Steve Breaston $4,510,000
    Percy Harvin $2,410,000 **
    Michael Jenkins $3,000,000
    Jerome Simpson $2,000,000
    Brandon Lloyd $4,000,000
    Devery Henderson $3,000,000
    Lance Moore $4,000,000
    Hakeem Nicks $2,508,000 **
    Jeremy Maclin $3,100,000 **
    Jason Avant $2,950,000
    Jerricho Cotchery $1,500,000
    Eddie Royal $4,500,000
    Malcom Floyd $2,500,000
    Mario Manningham $3,687,500
    Steve Smith (STL) $2,500,000
    Nate Washington $4,500,000
    Kenny Britt $1,891,800 **
    Lavelle Hawkins $2,400,000 **

Now, everybody marked with a double asterisks is on a rookie contract, so we can automatically eliminate them from comparative purposes, since their pay is scale based. Everybody not included in this list is either a total journeyman/washout or a guy on a rookie contract making almost nothing, or a guy who is making 6+ million. (and some of them suck, too)

Having eliminated those as competitive salaries, how many people in this list can you definitively say are as good or better than Kevin Walter? I count about 6. Jordy Nelson (although for all we know Walter would tear it up in Green Bay's system), Brandon Lloyd, Eddie Royal (still a little unproven but I like him), Nate Washington, Mario Manningham, and Malcolm Floyd (although tons of Charger fans would disagree). And out of those 6, only 1 of them is actually making less than Kevin Walter. Now, how many of them do you think could've replaced AJ last year? Exactly. Zero.

So, although Kevin is slightly overpaid, he's not this giant dead weight around the franchise's neck that most people seem to think. I do not expect him to live to see the end of his contract as a Texan (I expect him to take a pay cut next year as well, and then be cut outright the year after), but to act as if we have a lot of affordable options in FA beyond him is just silly. He's not being paid to be WR1B, nor was he ever brought here for that reason.

Know the market, grasp the cap situation, and adjust your expectations accordingly.

#61 DonnyMost, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is a stretch.

3. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If Kevin Walter can put up consistent 600-800 yard seasons being the 4th, at best, offensive weapon in Houston, he could probably produce Nelson-like numbers in Green Bay.

That offense, along with New Orleans, has a way of turning total nothings into somethings. Don't forget, Nelson only caught 68 balls. Everything he caught was deep. KW has similar catch numbers, but he's not playing the slot in the deadliest passing offense in the NFL, either.

I'd expect him to put in vintage Driver like numbers. 80 catches and about 1000 yards.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Andre casts a large shadow ......He allows single coverage and plenty of pasture for our #2 to work in. While Walter has shown himself to be a more than competent NFL receiver, he should be moved to #3 . A playmaker w/ size opposite Andre, to really take advantage is needed. Plus we need a guy that can step up and provide SOME kind of insurance should AJ go down for awhile. If Williams would ever play to 80% of his potential, then he would be ideal. But, as it is, Roy is a support player without much upside. There REMAINS a hole here at WR, at a time when we can least afford it..our window. This isn't a time for stopgap measures.

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

C'mon Donny admit it, You play golf with Kevin Walter don't you?

Is he a nice guy?

What's his favorite drink? ;)

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I don't really like or hate the guy, he is what he is, a slightly overpaid WR2 in an offense that does not feature WR2 much.

I'd expect pretty much the same production/play out of almost anybody else who qualifies from that list I posted.

I just think the amount of time people spend cursing his name is dumb. If the Texans have 99 problems, he's like number 87 on my list of things to fix.

In due time, a combination of rookie production and cap space requirements will force him out of his job and we can all sing songs and hold hands.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Why can't this offense feature the WR2 more? Look at the team stats from 08 under Shanny Jr. 1500 for AJ, 860 for Daniels, 900 for Walter. And the team wasn't heavily imbalanced 432 rushes to 555 passes.

WR2 is option #4? Big deal, that whole hierarchy goes down if AJ sits, and we know this team has the talent to spread the load and not have Arian Foster carry them. I'm not even saying to replace KW, just give him more looks. It's like he's only put on the field to block. But he'll come up with the catch, usually for the first down, on the one target he'll get. Isn't route running and good hands valuable in a WCO?

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

When AJ went down. KW turned into David Copperfield. He is overpaid. Malcolm Floyd > KW.

KW wouldn't do anything more in Green Bay than he has done here. Jordy Nelson is a super sized version of kw.

1 person likes this.
  9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Walter took a paycut this year because he knows he couldn't start for any other team in the NFL. He used to be a solid number 2 receiver like 3 years ago. I hope Lestar Jean comes to camp and plays himself to the number 2 spot. Keshawn Martin has the potentail to be a very good slot receiver.

1 person likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rookie OLB Whitney Mercilus has been blowing by O linemen in pass rush drills. He's got a superquick first step and a great closing burst.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/229623221908041729" data-datetime="2012-07-29T17:03:36+00:00">July 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I don't know if that is good or bad news

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I know it's just camp, so you temper your praise. But I remember hearing Pancakes on 610 saying Watt looked "unblockable" and that panned out completely. I can't wait to see Mercilus on the field.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sorry, man - they're making me spread the rep around before dropping more on you, so I'll use the forum to say, "Brav-f'ing-O". This should be required reading before posting in this thread.

It's amazing, when a story is written, how furiously people will dig-in to reenforce it: Drayton is cheap; Bagwell isn't clutch; Kevin Walter needs to be replaced - and the moment that status quo is challenged - even when its smartly and respectfully challenged - oh boy....

Guys, we need to keep a few things in mind: namely, Andre Johnson missed 9 games and Matt Schaub missed 6. The script was thrown out the window last year.

When everyone is healthy, Walter is routinely second or third in pass attempts on the team.

Again, because it obviously needs to be repeated: KW is not, nor has he ever been, Andre Johnson's "replacement." They play completely and totally different roles on this team. When AJ gets hurt, it's up to WR3 to replace AJ - last year, that was Jacoby Jones. KW's assignments do not change based on AJ's availability.

This is not a typical hierarchy; this is not a typical offensive system. It is, mostly, designed around WR1 and TE1; last year, Kubiak incorporated a devestatingly effective counter-toss to the RB1/TE2. He uses the FB effectively, too - more so when he finally buys into James Casey full-time.

They do not need John Taylor playing WR2. People need to understand that this offensive isn't designed the way you think it's designed. Kevin Walter will not, in any way, slow it down. He's a perfectly average-to-above-average WR.

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Seriously???

Williams is not the same receiver he was early in his career. Not even 2 years ago. He should be in his prime, but he doesn't appear to be motivated.

We'll see. Last I saw him was on Storage Wars hanging out with 2 rednecks.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You are mixing up your Roy Williamsssssss.

It's not this guy.
    [​IMG]
    It's not this guy either.
    [​IMG]

16. body slam

body slam Member

I just don't see Bryant Johnson, Roy, or any free agent WR being better than what we currently have. I will give then the bennefit of veteran experience, but honestly I'm not that impressed with whats currently on the free agent market.

17. ubigred

Paxico had 8 TDs last year . Mark Sanchez was his QB.

He is waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy better than Kevin "DonnyMost" Walters.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Nice to see you in this thread again. :)

Always been a big Plaxico fan. Too bad he's not Uncle Bob material.

19. ubigred

What you and Donny fail to comprehend is that I never said I expected KW to replace AJ. I never said that. I never said that. I NEVER SAID THAT.

I said KW should have stepped up in AJ's absence. He is WR2. He only had 39 catches all last year. Shameful.

You made the silly point that he has defined routes and despite what happens to AJ he routes stay the same . If true , that is complete bull**** and a total failure of himself along with Kubiak. If your #2 WR can not step up in the absence of the #1 , he should not be starting .

Plax or TO would of certainly helped in Baltimore. Yates wasn't even looking in KW's direction because he covered the moment he got off the plane.

Bring in TO or Plax . KW should be WR4 . Time to win is now. Forget loyalty.

You have to strike while you can. Look at the Chargers (missed opp)

#79 ubigred, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  20. ubigred

@DonnyMost

Uncle Bob is a dope if he passes on Plax because of what happened 4 years ago.

#80 ubigred, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012