1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Local Orlando News] Dwight Howard trade could be imminent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

sorry he referred to the 2008 team

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Sorry for the double post. Not sure which Dwightmare thread we're using.

Aldridge:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/0...or-13-million/

I called a 3 team trade between Orl, Hou & LAL. Even though I called it "unlikely." Bynum, with an extension, is certainly a move I could get behind.

3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I think Bynum is comming to HOU,
    probably is a 4th team in the move, Pau to MIN?

4. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I'm saying I... ME... could be persuaded to LIKE him being here. Obviously, I'd LOVE him being here as far as when he's on the court. But, all the BS that comes along with him this year, being on an expiring and a free agent next year - I want none of that BS.

Also, read my second post, after the one you responded to...

I don't believe he'll walk. He likes that money too much.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Would heart. My biggest fear is trading he farm for Howard and he leaves us next summer with no draft picks except what we might get in a s&t.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, i'd be good with that too. bynum would be interesting to say the least.

7. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Me too.

Problem is, I don't see LA moving him - and maybe not even Gasol - with the addition of Nash.

Guarantee you though, if you asked Kobe, he'd say "give 'em Ron and Bynum, get Parsons, Scola and KMart, to back me up... we'll start Scola and move Pau to center"....LOL. (salaries match, by the way)

8. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Why haven't we offered Lopez a contract?.. That would cause the Nets to have to match, and possibly lose out on Dwight.. right?

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't know what you mean by determined. Isn't it obvious to you that Morey has been targeting Dwight for some time now? It should be. Clutch wrote about it. Not like it's a secret or anything. And it still might not happen. But it should for the benefit of both teams. Dwight is going to walk if they don't trade him. If they don't trade him now, they risk his value severely decaying as they approach the trade deadline. The time is now. The next 2 days could very well go down in the history of the Rockets as one of the greatest moments ever.

Any way you look at it, we are at a crossroads. We are either acquiring Dwight and going for broke or if the Dwight trade does not materialize, then I suspect we are trading away the vets for future picks, expirings, etc. and going to the lottery for one year while letting guys like Royce, Motie, Parsons, etc. get major minutes and develop. Then we come back next season with a high lottery pick, possibly the Toronto lottery pick and gobs of cap space to sign a couple premier free agents and go bakc to war.

On the other hand, if we acquire Dwight, it is game on baby. How Morey builds out around Dwight, I can't quite tell right now. Because we don't know who is staying and who is going. However, I have my suspicions that Morey is going to hang on to Royce in hopes that he becomes our primary playmaker with Dwight. Dwight is a PnR big man. He needs a PnR perimeter guy or guys to be surrounded with along with guys that can hit the 3-ball. If Royce is running PnR with Dwight, that leaves us needing mostly shooters and slasher/finishers at the other three spots. So, I could see us going after Mayo if we still have cap space and Lin and Asik are a no go. I could also see a trade being made for a guy like Monta Ellis, one of Dwight's buddies. Monta can opt out after next season. If he sees Dwight in Houston, he may tell Milwaukee he's not going to re-sign and ask for a trade.

Guys will be crawling out of the woodwork to play with Dwight. You never know. CP3 may decide to tell the Clips he ain't re-signing there and either force a trade midseason or simply walk away after the season to team up with Dwight/Royce/Motie, etc.

Worst case scenario, if we don't get Lee signed back and if we lose Martin and can't bring in value, I'd be fine with going with Parsons at the 2 (Doug Christie clone only better) and Morris at the 3 to launch jumpers off the Dwight overplay.

Irregardless, we're either getting a couple good players in Asik or Lin or we're gonna have tons of cap room this season and going into next season if we don't make another trade after acquiring Dwight.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Love your posts, jopatmc.

Also, I think that IF we get Dwight, he will sign an extension when the trade is done. Too much money to walk away from.

11. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Here is the complicated breakdown by Yahoo! Sports: "Howard, Jason Richardson and Earl Clark would be sent to Brooklyn, and the Magic would receive the Nets' Brook Lopez, Damion James, Shelden Williams, Cleveland's Luke Walton and three future first-round picks ... Cleveland would receive Orlando's Quentin Richardson, Brooklyn's Sundiata Gaines, Kris Humphries (on a one-year guaranteed deal), a first-round pick and $3 million from the Nets. Brooklyn also would send Brooks to a fourth team (possibly the Clippers) to get them an additional first-round pick to send to the Magic." The deal is evolving hourly, so follow the link for more details and check back soon -- there is serious momentum building and a deal could be completed as soon as Monday.

After all the drama tf the Magic take that they are stupid. What a load of garbage. Lopez is always hurt, the other players are crap, and the 3 future 1sts will be horrible picks once the Nets have Howard/Williams/Johnson.

Seriously we can offer a better package than that.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Personally so far the way the offseason has started...I really think the Rockets should go with option B..develop the Rookies...bite the bullet for a year...and then really target the FA market...starting with Bynum...develop the pieces...and clearly make sure players know that it may be a hard year...but the long term might be much better...

if 2013 has a Bynum in his prime, plus a more experienced cast of Lamb, White, Parsons...I would be so much happier...

If the Rockets go at Dwight this year...that is ok as well...but as long as well have cap flexibility...(so just one bad contract...we will be forced to take one for Howard)

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Bynum has said if he stays in LA that he'll re-sign.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

he wont get a max deal...currently Pau is on the books, and the addition of Nash and Kobe...will prevent him from getting the most financially...I can see bynum leaving...

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

What do you mean? They can re-sign him to whatever they want. LA laughs at the lux tax.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Probably not Minny for Martin now. They may go after Scola. He'd be a nice 6th man for them. My point is Martin and Scola have value. An expiring and a future first round pick may not even be enough for them come the trade deadline and teams are fighting for playoff positioning.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Think again...even teams like the Knicks....are worried about its implications...teams/owners aren't gonna start paying 4:1 tax i can promise you that...The exact numbers i havent sat thru and dug up...but im almost certain the Lakers arent going to be able to pay Bynum a full extension without moving Pau this year...

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

a team has to be willing to take Scola's contract...and its not a small one by any means...

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

The Knicks just signed an old backup C to a 3 year deal at over 4 mil. per and are going to match Lin. They don't care a bout luxury tax.

20. Pocket Rockets

sports agent