1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Local Orlando News] Dwight Howard trade could be imminent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fullcourt, Jul 6, 2012.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

They will get rid of someone when the tax will be a bigger issue...right now...its still affordable for rich teams...2 years..before you will really see teams get under the cap...and the ones that are paying the tax...are guaranteed to be in the finals...or semis...

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Sacramento comes to mind right now. Scola for Garcia's expiring and Jimmer. Sacramento might go for that.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

No...actually Sacramento would be a nice team to trade with...

If the Rockets can try prying away Jason Thompson(promising young center...hidden behind Cousins)

I just would feel bad for Scola for trading him to such a crappy team

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Isn't his last year almost fully unguaranteed?

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bynum would be a damn good start to our rebuild, and he's only 25. If he's a lock to resign you do what you have to in order to get him. Sure he's immature, and the knees will always be a question, but when I watch this kid play, no exaggeration, he looks like a man among boys. And he's just starting to hit his best years.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd be fine with either Howard or Bynum.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ah, it was a hypothetical. I thought maybe you had heard that a Minny deal for one of those players was in the works.

Again, I hope Dwight trade happens but it is certainly not the end of the Rockets' world if it doesn't. One window closes and another 2 open. I just love how Morey is tenaciously clinging to that particular window though. :grin:

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah. I'd be happy to settle for one of the two best centers in the NBA.

:grin:

9. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If the Lakers are in win now mode, I wonder if they would trade Bynum for Scola, Martin and the Mavs pick back. That would give them a starting lineup featuring Nash, Kobe, Scola and Gasol with Martin being the 6th man and a guy who could cut Kobe's regular season minutes and save him for the playoffs.

For us we get a legit star center who is still young while keeping all our recent draft picks to build around. If needed we could take back some salary to make the deal. Even if we were to take in some additional salary, I think it's a good move for us and even the Lakers (short term).

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Looking at HOU's salary numbers, if either CHI or NYK matches the Asik or Lin contract offer (or they both match), it seems one way to approach the Dwight trade is to amnesty Scola, waive the non-guaranteed guys (including Livingston) and take Dwight's salary while only giving future picks and unsigned draft picks in return, then arrange a separate trade using some of the cheaper salaries (Patterson, Morris, etc.) or Kevin Martin to eat more salary from Orlando than HOU gives out.

Basically, what HOU can do is to absorb enough salaries that Orlando will have max cap room right after the trade. So, if they like Brook Lopez or any other free agent left on the market, they can just sign them to an offer sheet. Of course, the Nets will probably match anything that's offered, even the max, for Lopez-- overpaying him but they don't have a choice. However, there are other available either in this free agent class or in the upcoming free agent classes.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If we get rid of Scola and Martin we will likely have a top 5 pick IMO as well.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can see the Rockets trading NYK's 2nd round picks with Scola to a team under the cap just to get him off the books. It would be very beneficial

13. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Lol, Bynum is the owners favorite. He wants it to be his team. You're delusional if you think they wont offer Bynum a Max extension. You're right about Pau though.

14. Carl Herrera

Why would you pay someone to take Scola when (1) you can just amnesty him if need be and keep the picks, and (2) he is pretty much the only amnesty candidate left on the squad-- Martin's expiring contract has trade value, even if he doesn't play one more game, Scola being the only pre-lockout big contract left on the team.

15. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Trade for Dwight; send him to LAL for Bynum who actually wants to be here....

16. Vivid

Vivid Member

Why not just use the amnesty clause on him? We keep our picks and Scola can sign with a team of his choice. That's a win-win.

17. Carl Herrera

I agree with just amnestying him if you have to actually give up value in a trade. However, he cannot sign with a team of his choice, he'll have to go to the highest bidder in the amnesty auction.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I know Les just picked up some money from NY, but Scola still has something like 20 million on his contract. If Les is willing to take hit, I am as a fan. I would prefer Scola to be amnestied if the Rockets use the cap savings to get Howard.

I think that if they do amnesty Scola, the Rockets try to keep Martin. I don't think the Magic would want him. It would depend on whether the other players make enough to absorb Orlando's trash.

19. Carl Herrera

A few things:

1. The actual $ will be $20M minus whatever the highest bidder in the amnesty auction bids on Scola.

2. Magic would want Martin if the Rockets take back, say, Hedo+J.Rich for him.

3. Even if Magic doesn't want him, you can find another taker for his expiring contract fairly easily, or just keep him and enjoy the cap room next season. Either way, there is much less reason to amnesty Martin than to amnesty Scola (in fact, after July 17, you are not even allowed to amnesty Martin).

4. Les has never really been afraid to pay $ if it is $ well spent. For example, he spent $ to buy 2nd round picks but wouldn't pay tax to keep spare role players. Now, a couple of 2nd round picks may not look like a great return for paying Scola extra $, but if they are the difference between a successful Dwight Howard trade and losing him to NJ, then not giving up those picks (or whatever pick you need to get a team to eat salary) just to dump Scola is well worth it.

5. For now, there is no reason to even want to get rid of Scola's salary unless there is a big trade or FA signing in the works that requires it. The Rockets have plenty of cap flexibility especially if NY or CHI (or both) match the Lin/Asik offers. Why expend any resource (picks, use of amnesty) to get rid of a still productive player unless there is some purpose to it?

20. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I like the way you think...I really hope we get Dwight cause it will be a huge letdown if we don't..Daryl is All in for this deal and so am I emotionally...every move he has made has been primarily to hey DH here..can't wait to see us build around him...