1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All in 1 computer, should I switch to a Mac?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, May 30, 2012.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

2. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

This..I've done price calculations spec for spec on Macs vs. Dells vs. Sonys several times and I've often found the difference is actually about $200-$300. Not the $1600 or $1000 difference often cited. The Mac is always higher in price..but when laid out with the exact same components..its not that much different.

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

If you get a Mac....dont be one of those fake Mac users who still need to dual boot into a PC or boot into a virtual Windows PC.

If you do, just stay with a PC. My brother bought a Mac and he was so used to a PC, he installed windows 7 as his primary OS. What a waste of money, especially promoting a company who believes in slave labor.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I much prefer OS X over Windows, I also have both on my macbook pro though just in case I wanna use excel for windows.

But for a desktop machine I would go with windows, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of power. The MacBook Pro is the best laptop out there because of the trackpad and the size/look as well as the battery. Also I think OSX has those gestures down pat so you can work on the laptop really easily.

For desktop though a mouse + keyboard combo with a big screen is enough. The iMac comes with a nice screen but you can get a desktop + a sick monitor for less and have it be more powerful.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

My girlfriend has an Ipad that has broken 3 times in 2 months (it has a case), an IPhone that has broken 3 times in 2 years (it has a case), and a macbook that has had the case fall off twice and the screen crack since she got it in 09.

My Droid has been thrown from a 3rd story balcony into gravel, I bought my HP laptop in 2009, and my Dell desktop had a virus a month or so ago. None of these have had to be fixed at a store. Also my items probably total 1/3 what hers cost. She loves apple products. I think they're junk.

Personal preference.

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Apple users, what can I say about them? They get charged a much higher premium and they are happy about it and even proud of it.

But I can't care less. If people like to blow 2k on a computer, it is a personal preference, they have rights to do whatever they want.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I've been eyeing the Mac Mini for music recording/production. Would like to run Pro Tools and Fruity Loops.

Anyone have any input here?

8. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I have a Mac Air and love it. Bought Parallels software and installed Windows 7 (just in case) for work stuff. Bought Kapersky AntiVirus.

Im a Mac from here on out. I have 2 PC's at home (Laptop and Desktop) that Im trying to sell now.

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I can't say that these experiences are typical at all.

Here's the deal. Apple makes high-end computers. You are paying extra for that experience, and many people prefer to pay more rather than deal with the problems associated with other brands. Apple still makes most of its living off of repeat customers who keep coming back for more. Their products have a high resale value in part because they cost so much new. You're buying a computer, but you're also buying a status symbol, and it costs Apple a ton in constant reinvestment to maintain this position as a luxury brand and leader in the industry. This is something that you either want or you don't.

Some people are happy driving entry-level cars their whole lives. Some people will put up with the headache of keeping a poorly designed and worn-out car going rather than spending the money on something better. Many people have to put up with low quality transportation because that's all they can afford, but many more people can afford better quality but aren't willing to pay the price. It's the same for clothes, shoes, food, etc.

If you care about your computer, and you can afford to and are willing to spend the extra money on a Mac, I doubt you'll be disappointed. At the end of the day, it's just a computer and they all do the same thing, some just do it in a way that people are willing to spend more money for.

10. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I got a macbook pro last year after using a PC all of my life. You can do everything you can on a PC and more. I know the ins and outs of a PC so I rarely had any problems with the PC, but when you do, it is a pain in the ASS! I haven't had a single problem with my Mac and could not be happier with it.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

The thing is, these experiences are typical. I saw a picture online not to long ago, that I dont know how to post, of the difference between an Iphone and a Droid. The Iphone had a cracked screen the Droid didnt. Its fairly common.

But youre right, she doesnt mind paying for it. Its like driving a mercedes and having to pay a stupid amount of money to have the tires rotated because you need a special key and cant do it yourself.

I prefer to drive a Dodge and yes, on occasion it may mess up, but its cheaper and I can fix it myself. And it costs much much less, and does the same thing.

Like I said, personal preference. I think the Apple desktop (whatever the name is) is really cool. Id like for microsoft to make something similar. If they did Id buy it, if it was cheaper.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Question:

Anyone move from PC to Mac and regret the decision?

Im guessing those numbers are quite low...which should tell you something.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The ones b****ing are trying to say that it's stupid to pay extra for convenience and reputation.

I pay a kid $20 to mow my lawn on the weekends with MY lawnmower. Does that make me stupid? I Think it just makes me lazy :grin:

14. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This is off-topic. Please tell me you own a Verizon Wireless "droid" device, and not just a regular Android phone lol.

Droid is a trademark used by Verizon Wireless and LucasFilm to name some of their devices (Droid 1, droid 2, droid r2d2, droid2 global, droid 3, droid 4, droid x, droidx2, droid charge, droid bionic, droid razr, )

ANdroid is an operating system. If you do own a "droid" device, then please accept my apologies. If not, please for the love of god stop calling Android's "droids".:)

15. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Switched from PC to iMac 27.5 inch. Love my Mac.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You say it as if PCs are inferior quality when in reality, the components are identical.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Internal components may be identical, but things like the trackpad and casing are definitely not.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Wow it's been a long time since I've used Fruity Loops. It looks like they have advanced a ton since then.

I did a quick check and it looks like they still haven't come out with a Mac version yet. So I'd say that's a no go. But apparently they've got some stuff for the iPad? Fruity would be awesome on a touch interface.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I guess it just depends on how much more "convenient" it really is. Having used both, I think Apple makes great products, but many people simply don't need a computer at that price point. Not a PC or Mac. In fact for many home PC users an Ipad would do everything they need as far as browsing the internet and email.

Plus comparing Mac to PC is a bit simplified since there are so many different brands and configurations of PC's and they are not all equal. One PC model could easily be superior to a particular Mac and another may be complete garbage.

I suspect that most people who buy macs don't regret the decision, unless it is because of the money spent. At the same time, many home users could also buy a $500 or less PC and never miss any of the extra capabilities the Mac has.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you get a DVD drive with it or did you do that 'sharing a drive' thing that Apple says you can do?

I see the old one with the drive on apple's site on refurb once in awhile. Is the core 2 duo version worth it ($469 -last time i saw) or should I go with the i5 version?