1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All in 1 computer, should I switch to a Mac?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, May 30, 2012.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Right tool for the job.

Look at what programs you can get on Windows and OSX. Then make your decision.

2. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Hey Rox_fan_here, I'll keep this short and sweet.

You should consider coming by the Memorial City Apple Store today or tomorrow. Shoot me a message through the board.

Whoa. That wasn't creepy at all.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

When I get a computer, I just need it to do the things I want to do. If you want a fancy machine, you can buy a Mac or Pc and buy both operating systems and dual boot them. I do not need a high priced Pc for the things I do, so no Mac for me.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I run a 27inch Imac at work - TV producer and I do all my own rough edits on Final Cut Pro. I absolutely love it. The screen is stunning. Had a Dell running Quantel for the previous 4yrs and it was constantly problematic. Funny thing..Quantel is like a 100K software..final cut was a 2K system..and it runs so much better.

The switch to Mac should be relatively easy for you if your somewhat computer savvy. Microsoft office works fine on the mac.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because it just ****ing works.

6. davo

davo Contributing Member

I have always owned PCs and have been relatively happy with them. My wife just bought a 15" Macbook Pro, and after taxes it cost ~$2000. She likes it because she says it is much easier to use - she doesn't "lose" files when they are downloaded or transferred from a camera etc..

I just bought a PC lapop that is fine for me - and it cost ~$400. Since I am reasonably compentent with computers, I don't need to pay a $1600 penalty for ease of use.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Exactly, I don't see how Mac is much easier to use unless you are not competent with a PC.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

It depends on what you're going to do.

If you want the multimedia type stuff that the mac is known for and will use it a lot, it's certainly worth it

If not, then the mac is more comfortable to be on, but you can do the same (basic) things with either one (read: web browsing, word processing, e-mail, etc.)

If comfort and improved visuals are worth a lot of money to you, then go for it. For me, I think my money is better spent elsewhere. I'd rather get a good PC that I like (get what you want upgraded--the monitor, keyboard, etc. for good look and feel) for 1/2 the price or less.

For what it's worth, I've had my current laptop running Windows (Vista and then 7) for the last 6 years...it's been on 24/7 for about 90% of that time. I've had exactly zero viruses. I've only run an antivirus program for the last 2 years. I think it's more a function of people being careful and not going to questionable sites/etc. than being unknowingly attacked... though I do conceded that when making questionable actions, Windows machines are more vulnerable than Macs due to volume targeting

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I always love the "if you just know what you're doing" and the "if you don't need to be hip" slants... you know the lines that always come that include words like "Fancy" or claim it's all about whether or not you're competent. Hubris.

For those that wouldn't know the difference in every day use even if it came up and bit them, there always seems to be the need to "Why would you bleh bleh bleh." Not terribly helpful to someone asking questions the OP is asking.

I've yet to meet someone or hear from someone who switched that was disappointed. I'm not saying they aren't out there, I'm just saying you don't hear about it much. As for the viruses, it's not just about volume and market share. OS X being based on unix underpinnings and permissions is another reason viruses aren't as prevalent.

If you want an all in one, and that's what's important, then an iMac is going to be great.
    I have yet to see anyone posting pricing or even choices for an all in one PC.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

oh, and "This."

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

A few things to consider:

1. There is a premium, but don't necessarily listen to the 'overpriced' complaints people like to parrot on the internet. Keep in mind that since you are looking at an AIO, the gap is not nearly as large as some would like you to believe. Thrown in with the other benefits, and the price difference may be worth it to you.

2. For most of the 'main' tasks people use their home computer for - internet, email, photos, video, etc. - either system will be more than capable. Apple - particularly in the area of photos and video - has some very solid software that comes out of the box in iPhoto and iMovie and they are streamlined well to work with each other for ease of use. There are good alternatives on the PC side, though they may not be included. And if you have other Apple devices in the house, such as an iPad or iPhone, they also will work together very nicely.

3. If you are near an Apple Store, there is also a greater benefit. Apple's service is typically very good, and you do have the advantage of getting support directly from Apple rather than having to call to Dell or HP, for example. Apple's in store services are also very useful if you want to learn about the mac on your own time.

4. It is not impossible, but generally harder to get virus or malware issues with casual browsing on the mac. Something to keep in mind as for many people minimizing those issues is worth any price differences alone.

5. If you are interested in a gaming PC, while they are better than they used to be, you are better served not getting a Mac. If you are not a 'latest and greatest' gamer you would be fine.

I first used a mac in 2007 when I bought a macbook and used it pretty regularly until a year or two ago. I got back into PC gaming last year and decided to build a PC for my current regular use machine. However, I had no real issues with the mac and it was a very good computer. In all honesty, even now, 5 years later, it still runs extremely well and would be a fine everyday machine. Don't listen to all the fanboy warz bull**** (like 'if you aren't good with computers use a mac hurr hurr) and realize there are plenty of positives and negatives to both OSes.

As always, it comes down to what you want to do with your system.

1 person likes this.
  14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

its all about the marketing and the need to brainwash yourself and others into believing that you are not an idiot for spending double on a laptop just because its white and shiny. also everytime someone overpays for an apple product a puppy gets saved, a new tree is planted, and starbucks hires a new barista.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My paranoid side rant applies here too. Download something like Avira or the other free rootkit scanner.

As cautious as I am, I get a detection rate of a serious rootkit in my PC every year or so and a boatload of random trojans (harmless but nonetheless) picked up from surfing.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

There will be a transition, but I don't think it will be all that hard for most people who are reasonably proficient with their PC's.

You can get mac versions of these programs.

Alot of this depends on what you are going to use the computer/mac for. Do you need the power and capabilities of a mac or higher end computer or could you get by with a relatively cheap PC and buy as big a monitor as you want/can afford? I suspect if you got the mac you would be happy with it, but the question is could you be equally happy with something much cheaper? That goes back to what you are going to be using the computer for, and how much looks and design matter to you.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone here have a mac mini? I'm considering one as my first mac. looking at the low end one and will upgrade the ram to 8 gigs.

19. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I've used one before to run Lion server. Performance is not all that great to be honest. 8 gigs of RAM should definitely make a difference though.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Your $400 laptop has a 2.2 Ghz Intel core i7, 4 GB of 1333 Mhz memory and AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5? Please point me to the link so I can buy one of those. Thanks.