1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Still hate Pippen?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #3 Francis, Dec 8, 2002.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no doubt that he was a talented player who can still show some flashes of his all round skills but he really was the biggest disappointment for me as a Rocket player. I thought he got a very big and long contract which was unwarranted but a lot more was expected from him even though he was coming into a new system.I never thought he would make clutch shots but he showed a lack of professionalism and quit on the team.
    I don't hate him but in hindsight I wish we would have never signed him.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

A Rocket fan whose favorite player is Scottie Pippen? I can now die knowing I've heard everything.

3. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

I think jm's making a point you may not get... and if you do, I'll respectfully say you're wrong. :eek:

I'll buy that Hakeem is *one* of the best all-around players of the 1990's, but to say that Pippen was better than Jordan?

You definitely have to consider both ends of the floor... from an individual and team perspective... and whether the guys could take over on either end of the floor at any given time.

Oh come on. No matter what Jordan says, he knows that he was the best guy on the team on both ends of the floor.

Yes, I don't like Pippen after the Houston fiasco.. but I liked the guy beforehand while he was a member of the Bulls... up until he decided to sit out that Kukoc play against the Knicks.

I consider that an indication that he was *unwilling* to help make others better on the offensive end... which is yet another strike against him in the silly argument that he's the best all-around player of the 1990's.

4. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

An old article about Pippen a few years back at:
    http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxviii/1999.10.08/sports/p23pippen.html

All whine, no cheese for Pippen
    Every child, at one point in his life, hears the same thing after beleaguering his parents to grant some insignificant desire: "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it." Someone should have told that to Scottie Pippen. Pippen is not a newcomer to the NBA by any means, but he, like many superstars, has finally finished regressing into emotional childhood.

"Trade me," he said to the Rockets' management. "I wanna go to the Lakers," he insisted. Well, he got traded, all right, after only a single year in Houston that failed produce even a playoff series win, let alone a championship. But he didn't go to the Lakers. He got a one-way ticket to the Portland Trailblazers, the only team in the league that could afford his immense salary. The Blazers got a whiner who has never shown the ability to lead a team, and the Rockets got six players who together earn as much as Pippen would have. Almost. These six players, two of whom have already been cut from the Rockets' already huge roster, might actually try complementing Charles Barkley instead of insulting him.

Just like a child who has realized that people are disappointed in him, Pippen got abusive and mouthed off to ESPN about Barkley and the team. Obviously, Scottie, if you're accused of not respecting the fans and the team, of course the best thing to do is insult them to the national media. And while you're at it, you might as well insult a superstar player who has been in the city for much longer than you have. Barkley, one of the greatest players of all time, played for only $1 million last season so the Rockets could slip under the salary cap with Pippen's $67.2 million contract in tow. Pippen performed miserably last year, recording the lowest shooting percentage of his career, and yet had the gall to blast the Rockets for not getting him the ball more often. Maybe he should have made the most of the opportunities he had before demanding extra shots.

Pippen's childish behavior has been going on for years. However, when he was with the Bulls under the watchful eye of Michael Jordan, his antics seemed less obtrusive and less overtly immature. Compared to Dennis Rodman, Pippen was a model of virtue and responsibility. Still, not many people in Chicago have forgotten that during the 1994 playoffs, while his Airness was off playing baseball for the White Sox, Pippen refused to re-enter the game when Phil Jackson chose Toni Kukoc over Pippen to take a last-second shot against the Knicks. Pippen seemed nicer while he was with Jordan and the Bulls—more likeable and mature. On his own, though, he has shown himself to act more like an adolescent ill-prepared for reality.

Unfortunately, in today's professional sports world, Pippen's reaction is more the norm than the exception. Had he succeeded in getting traded to the Los Angeles Lakers, he would have joined fellow complainers Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal. For a rapper whose latest record is titled Respect, Shaq has always shown little respect for his teams, his fans, or his management. He and Bryant have reluctantly shared the court in L.A. out of necessity; were it possible, neither of them would ever speak a word to the other. Not even the stabilizing effect of Jackson at the helm has proven enough to stifle the childish instincts of the Lakers players. It's a wonder that Laker practices aren't broken up for naptime and snacks.

On any team that has more than one superstar, egos will inevitably clash and someone will be hurt until a star succession is established. In Houston, no one knew whether the main star would be Barkley, Pippen, or Hakeem Olajuwon. Pippen has shown no leadership qualities; all he had to do in Chicago was recline in the Laz-E-Boy and follow Mike to the finals. Had Pippen gone to the Lakers, he then would have had to contend with both Shaq and Bryant. Even Pippen's past history with Jackson would not have convinced the coach to elevate Pippen to team leadership over players with more proven ability in that department. It has yet to be seen whether Pippen's ego will mesh with the Blazers, where management has recently added Detlef Schrempf to their sardine can of high-priced stars. Pippen questioned whether Houston had the desire to win a championship; Blazers owner Paul Allen seems more than willing to buy one.

NBA athletes are, for the most part, adults. Whether they act like mature human beings is another matter. When salaries swell to multi-million-dollar levels, egos expand proportionately. Whether it's also a necessary consequence for maturity levels to decrease is open to debate. But the next time you hear a voice complaining about someone's "fat butt," try not to mistake the NBA for a playground game on Saturday morning. Scottie Pippen may have wanted a trade, but it's unclear whether he knew what he was asking for. His fervent desire to leave Houston may come back to haunt him. He should watch what he wishes for in the future.

5. AcBrave

AcBrave Member

Pippen who?

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I think Pippen was a great player, and was very excited to see him come to the Rockets. He didn't fit well with the Rockets, I admit, but of course, I haven't really seen him fit in Portland either.

If Pippen would have stayed, I don't believe we would have gone to the bottom and received Griffin and Ming. So, in a backhanded way, he did us a favor.

But, what really ticked me off, and causes my disrespect to this day, was that he went public with his trade demand and had the audacity to insult Barkley, who as a superstar, had only taken 1 million, so that Pippen could get his 67 million, and join the team. That showed no class. If he felt he didn't fit, and pushed for a trade, I can understand trading him. But for him to force our hand, and then devalue himself in the way he did, he made himself less tradeable, and not worth what the Rocket paid him. In that sense he swindled the Rockets and Barkley, and of course, blamed everyone else.

We probably would have been able to get Oneal in the deal, if Scottie hadn't mouthed off, but instead we got Cato, and ironically, maybe he could even have ended up in LA, with Rice going to Portland. No class AND stupid. He never seemed to take responsibility for his actions, but blameshifted. I highly disrespect anyone who does that, and I've seen no remorse as time has gone by, so I respect him even less now.

#47 Sherlock, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  8. ken

ken Rookie

f!ck pipen!

9. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Scottie Pippen looks like Joe Camel . :D

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Pippen better than Jordan?
    No. Please. I never said that.

There's a difference between being the best-all-around players during
    the 90's (Pippen) and being THE BEST THAT EVER WAS (Jordan).

By the way, Hakeem WAS BETTER than Pippen. But, Hakeem is
    on a different scale. He was THE MAN on a team.
    Pip was NOT.

I don't think you understand the term "best-all-around." That term is used
    when you ARE NOT talking about the BEST, but a well-rounded player.
    And, it's NOT a shoe in for the best.

I remember some were calling Grant Hill as the next best-all-around player
    before he got hurt. Now it seems as though it's a toss-up between Kobe
    and McGrady.

Remember, to be the best, you have to lead. But being the best-all-around,
    you can be 2nd bannana (Kobe). :D

11. nineteen

nineteen Member

David,

Finally! A voice of reason. I had the chance to see SP at the NBA Draft Camp in Chgo. Amazing! He even made Mugsy Bogues a First Rounder. Saw him play at least 100 games for the Bulls. MJ wouldn't go to war without him. He took the Bulls to Eastern Finals when MJ left. He came here with a lot of fanfare. I preferred a younger Mc Dyess. I posted earlier that he has 6 rings and wanted a 7th. He played for Phil and Rudy and felt that Rudy was lost. That's dead on. He was raked over the coals for wanting to win, how silly. Remember Dream joined him for the Breakfast Club. Early workouts. Charles was not committed. MJ says that's the reason Charles doesn't have a ring!

12. DavidS

Yeah, that made me mad that no other players would join him except
    Hakeem.

Hakeem understood what it took to win a ring. He pushed himself to
    the limit.

Charles wasn't that type of player. At least not in preparation for the season.

Plus, I really couldn't see Kenny Smith pumping iron!

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

DavidS- No. Your exact quote was "He was the best-all around player during the 90's. "

that's not saying one of the best, that's saying he was the very best all around ball player of the 90's. And yes, I did acknowledge Magic wasn't playing his best ball in the 90's, but I still stand by that statement and will go so far as to say I think Magic was better than Pippen every time he ever took the court.

14. DavidS

Yes, Magic was better. In the 80's.

By the way, read my reply to Rocket104.

15. Miggidy Markell

Actually, I would rather have Cato's fat contract then have Pippen's fat contract PLUS his b!tch a$$! :mad:

16. Miggidy Markell

After saying that, why did Barkley out-play both Snottie "I-got-no-balls" Pippen and the Dream? Scottie seriously needed a reality check back then, the guy was just not the player he used to be, PERIOD! But he blamed Charles for everything.... very easy for him to do so because he has the rings and Charles didn't. Respect should be paid for the quality of the player, not the quantity of rings. And after Snottie's Rocket stint, it proved that he wasn't a leader and that he couldn't take losing on the chest for his team like a leader should. I mean.... the guy was how old for christ's sake?

BTW, to add to David's posts, I would give Snottie the award for being the best side kick of the 90's. Tell me one reason why Jordan doesn't get the all-around player award or the 90's?

17. DavidS

Because Jordan gets the BEST NBA PLAYER of the CENTURY AWARD! :eek:

That's better.

IMO, he ranks third of any sport in terms of popularity and talent in
    the last 100 years.

1. Ali
    2. Ruth
    3. Jordan

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I used to really loathe Scottie.....just as I loathed the Cowboys.

And just like the cowboys, they both still have some talent left in them. Not enough to be winners in their respective leagues, mind you, but enough to pull out the occasional inspired performance.

But also like the cowboys, when I look at the overall package of talent, personality, and integrity, I just think they're both too pathetic to waste time hating.

Unlike the cowboys though, I don't see Pippen ever improving.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I always hated Pippen since the Bulls first run of championships (which is when I first heard his name) -- hated the whole Bulls team and everyone on it. When Pippen came to Houston, I worked hard to try to like him. It was an uncomfortable set-up. I was so relieved when he made an ass of himself and got traded. Then, I could go back to hating him again without confusing my allegiances.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I used to be a huge Pippen fan not anymore. And how can you say the "Best All-Around" moniker only goes to a guy who isn't "The Man" on his team and then you lump McGrady as possibly a great All-Around player one of the best. McGrady is clearly the man on the team right now, he showed that while Grant Hill was out.