1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog bites news anchor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Feb 9, 2012.

?

Should the dog be put down?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To say a dog shouldn't bite because of pain, or fear is a little extreme. If a dog is in pain and someone is ignorant of it and tries to pick it up handling the pained area, I think any dog will snap at the person, and a bite may ensue. It should be marked up to ignorance of the person about the dog's condition, but it isn't a reasonable solution to put the dog down.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If the anchor was wrong, the handler was much more so as he was there and saw her approach the dog. He should have stopped her. So he is fully responsible. She was petting and playing with the dog as he held him. If this was unsafe, it was his responsibility to warn her or call her off. If the dog is put down, it's his fault, not hers.

In this case, I'd probably give the dog a pass. Looked like more of a nip then a lunge. Had the dog attacked and not backed away then I'd put him down without hesitation. Might not be 'fair' to the dog...but so what?

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't believe so many people are taking this thread so seriously. On a Friday, no less.

Look at this video again:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dur-WcVFcVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is so much to laugh at.

- "Happy Valentines Day...." CRUNCH!!!! "Oohhhh....um......Barry?..."
    - The dog owners reaction to the bite. He says "whooooaaa...." and pretty much just sits there with that dumb look on his face.
    - The cops reaction. "Whoa!" I'll spring into action by putting my hand on the dogs nose. That will help...
    - Barry's reaction. "Uh....okay.....alright..[awkward silence]....okay......"

Come on, people. That's comedy gold!

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the dog had a history or went offensive instead of defensive I wouldn't be complaining. But if something is unfair to the dog, then it shouldn't be done. That's what.

Admitting something is unfair but then claiming "so what" isn't really going to make anything better.

I have no problem holding the handler responsible, having the handler pay medical expenses, and possibly a fine as well.

5. Souprocket

Souprocket Contributing Member

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pretty much every where? I'm gonna need stitches. Barry?

Then I don't need a rabies shot!

[​IMG]

Thanks, Arthur..

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:eek:

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I just can't think of any animal or human that wouldn't resort to some type of violence, if pushed enough. How do u remove that instinct permanently? You'd have take away all reasoning as well, but that's not really possible. You'd be left with an animal that doesn't care if it dies and that may be more dangerous than anything. Those are the animals that won't respond, even to their owners, when they finally snap.

i do understand certain breeds are specialized, but that doesn't matter much when so many owners don't use that to find their right fit. They want aggressive breeds to be teddy bears for their families or try to make guard dogs out of the wrong breeds. They're setting up dogs to snap under pressure they can't handle. And then they kill them to cover human error.

For the safety of both sides, They should make it more difficult to own a dog. There needs to be preparation in place ahead of time.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Chill, Nancy.

I pal around with breeders of WORKING bully dogs and working dogs in general. Some have owned/bred Dogos (and fake Dogos) to see how they stack up to their ABs for hunting hogs. I've also conversed at length on several occasions with one of the first people to import Dogos into the U.S.

Most dogs labeled as Dogos (Argentinian Mastiff is a new name, most likely to make the dog more marketable to ignorant folks who want the new "it" dog) are mixes of domestic bully breeds with some or no Dogo blood.

If you're panties are in a wad because you're a hypersensitive pit bull fan, relax. I love bully breeds (I own two AB mixes right now) but reality is reality.

11. SPF35

SPF35 Member

normally I see pets being abused, but I don't see where the dog warned the lady like people are saying, he seemed to be enjoying it

12. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

That dumb ass news anchor needs to be put down for getting that close to a dogo argentino. I wouldn't dare get that close to one unless he was mine and I raised him. The dog didn't do anything wrong, stranger got too close to him, his instincts kicked in.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

my panties aren't in a wad, Sally. I'm simply pointing out what you stated as truth, simply isn't.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Why is everyone blaming her? If you're not going to blame the dog then at the very least blame the handler. I don't know much about dogs. Looks friendly enough to me. And he allowed her to rub him, etc. It wasn't until a split second before he bit that he showed any annoyance.

15. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

The woman should have known not to get in a recently-rescued dog's face in a strange environment, the handler should have been watching the dog more closely and warning the woman not to get in the dog's face, and the dog gave little to no warning that it would attack.

These three things added together equal an accident.

Anyone suggesting that someone be put down over this accident (especially those suggesting it be the anchorwoman) is a moron.

The dog seemed relaxed and happy to be petted. Everyone saying the woman is an outright r****d is wrong, as the dog gave no sign it was uncomfortable until the woman bent down to say goodbye. Saying goodbye is a human thing, scared dog doesn't understand, woman gets bit.

The woman reports news, she doesn't work with dogs for a living. It's easy to sit back as a dog owner/breeder/trainer and say, "Well clearly she should have done this, not that, so she deserves what she got."

Albert Einstein wasn't good at basketball. Having a nice jump shot doesn't make you smarter than him.

My point is that just because you know something doesn't mean that everybody knows it, and to really look down on a person and laugh at the fact that they needed facial reconstructive surgery after a momentary lapse in judgment is a sign of poor character or narrow-mindedness (take your pick).

1 person likes this.
  16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

you NEVER put your face near the face of a strange dog, they will feel invaded and going to react, even I dont put my face around MY dog.

the dog bite and released, if they dog wanted to attack the anchor, the dog would have keep her face in his mouth, or go after her.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

The bite didn't even look that bad. Calm down.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

So you don't really know what you're talking about?

Just as I thought.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The dog was showing avoidance before a split second but it was subtle. The handler and the reporter are both at fault. The handler gets the bulk of the blame for owning a potentially dangerous dog and not being in control.

Sadly, I see this all the time. Not all dogs are meant for dog parks or tv interviews and it is up to the owners to not set those dogs up to fail by putting them in those situations.

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

The dog felt threatened, so it defended itself...A lot of people dont know about dogs here