1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog bites news anchor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Feb 9, 2012.

?

Should the dog be put down?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. AB423

AB423 Member

If you put your face near an ugly dogs face like that you deserve to be bitten.

2. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

A dog named Gladiator Maximus?

[​IMG]

3. Burko

Burko Member

Firstly the dog was in a situation where it could not back away or even move its body to the sides.

She was stroking it all over it's face and you can see it try and pull away, then she makes the ultimate error of getting in its face and getting a defensive bite for her troubles.

The dog didn't want her near him and did what it could to get out of a situation it didnt like.

If you guys really think this dog should be put down, go ask a police dog handler if you can do the same to their dog and see what they say.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm a dog lover. I have three dogs and I love them dearly.

That said, if any of my dogs bites anyone in the face other than a defensive situation at our home, I would have to put them down. You absolutely can't allow that.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Um, that was a police handler and they did allow someone to do that to their dog.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

exactly. i have lab and he's sweet and adorable but i do not allow him to play with toddlers.

7. Burko

Burko Member

I'm talking about a trained police dog, not some stray found in a pond.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love how some people assume all dogs are supposed to nice and cuddly and they should allow you to hold them without any kind of nervous response . It's a ****ing dog, not a toy! That's what they do!

You can trust a dog but in the end it's still a dog. It's not their fault that people are stupid and irresponsible.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Um, that's why we like them and treat them different than other animals. Biting me is what a mosquito or ant do too so I kill it. If I can't rely on dogs to be cute and cuddly then they're going in the stew like any other animal.
    *puts on flame suit* :p

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's not the truth. That's just something you're making up with absolutely zero ability to know for real.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

well yeah there's that.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How does a dog know you don't allow it?

13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

by killing him duhhhhh

14. Xerobull

What I meant is, there should be zero tolerance for dog to bite unless its a protection of master/home issue. If they have a reflex to bite humans when threatened, they need to be put down.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But the law in every town that I know is *not* zero tolerance. Anyone who says this dog should be put down is actually saying all the cities should change their laws to zero tolerance.

In this case, most laws are two strikes, no? for single bites with a restrained dog....unless their are extreme circumstances. My understanding is the dog gets booked in county and placed on lifetime probation.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I guess my point is a dog would be put down without first having a proper understanding of the "rules". I just don't see that as being fair. A dog learns from experience, so how can it learn if they're going to get killed off after the first such experience? I can understand a dog who's shown aggression, was reprimanded in those situations, and eventually bit someone...but a dog who has never really shown that? How can you really determine that's an instinctual reflex, rather than an option they deemed necessary at the time?

I just don't understand how you give a dog a green light to bite in order to protect everything, but his or herself.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree there should be zero tolerance but that doesn't mean putting the dog down. Especially when the dog is not at fault.

Mandatory classes and a socialization regime for the dog might be understandable, but to take a dog's life when the anchor was in the wrong is just bad policy.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

If a kid bites another kid....it should be put down.

You absolutely can't allow that.

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

This is interesting because I was considering getting a dog of this breed. It is a very rare and expensive breed. They are very loyal and smart but also protective of their territory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogo_Argentino

The dog must have felt threatened and when the reporter was coming in and violating its space. Anyway, I decided to go with an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog instead.

20. Xerobull

I'm not saying that I would be happy to put the dog down.

Dogs are not people. Yes, their love is pure, and they can be even better companions than people. And certainly there are dogs that get killed that have more value to society than some people who live.

Dogs have been selectively bred for thousands of years to be good companions for people. If there is a dog that doesn't fit the bill, it should be eliminated from the gene pool. There is just no place for a dog that would bite a human due to fear, pain, etc. This should not exist in their instincts. I know this all sounds coldly clinical but it's a fact and we all benefit from all of those years of selective breeding today.

And you can't compare kids to dogs in this capacity. However, if that kid keeps 'biting' people, society will 'put it down' by incarceration.

The anchor was in the wrong in that she was ignorant of dogs. I teach my son to not approach a strange dog. There are crazy dogs out there even worse than this one. But she shouldn't have been bitten by that dog.

A 'green light' is exactly the point. Dogs should obey implicitly.