1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog bites news anchor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Feb 9, 2012.

?

Should the dog be put down?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I agree.....but the law doesn't yet allow us to put the handlers down. Hopefully, the threat of having something heartbreaking happen to an animal they supposedly love will help guide them in the future.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Nobody was at fault here. This was an ACCIDENT. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The dog's name is Gladiator Maximus ??

Get out of my face, b****!

[​IMG]

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Looking at the real video, not slowed down, it really doesn't look like he gave much indication. Prior to that he was licking her hands (or maybe just his mouth in anticipation) and I didn't hear a growl at all. You do see him bare his teeth half a second before he bites.
    Other than the generic rule of don't deal with strange dogs, I can't really fault her too much on this. Everyone is acting like she's an idiot and I don't think so.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dur-WcVFcVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

still awesome, are local news anchors the most laughable people on earth? does anyone take them seriously?

#65 tmoney1101, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^^^
    yeah, there wasn't much warning. She had little reaction time. Looks like she was leaning in for a kiss, so the dog, likewise, had little time to react. "Is she leaning in to bite me. Do I need to defend myself?" :) As you say, that's a general mistake in understanding dogs, not something where she ignored a warning.

Also, people were saying the owner didn't have the dog on a leash. The owner had a full, strong grasp of the collar.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol I agree they shouldn't be put down :p....but the police dept should be completely responsible for all medical bills.

8. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uoNcGoCe6Ns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

All I can think about is how good Dog Bites Man was.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She may just be ignorant of dog/pack communication, and not a total idiot. But you also can't blame the dog. Coming in looking at the dog in the eyes from above and bringing her face at the dogs face is standard dog language for a challenge of dominance. The dog being held couldn't run away, or anything else, and had little time to react.

It would be cruel and in nobody's best interest to put down a dog that wasn't being aggressive. I don't want to judge the news anchor. She shouldn't have done what she did, but it could easily be ignorance rather than idiocy.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

shiet.. hope she's okay..

robbie380 is right.. the handlers should have been more careful and attentive to how the dog was reacting, especially given the breed of the dog

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah it was extremely quick after seeing that vid. It would be hard for anyone to expect that after the kind of calm state the dog was in. I really didn't see any other cues and she was pretty close prior to the bite. That said it's never a good idea to stick your face right up to any strange dog and it's an especially bad idea when that dog is 85 pounds.

I love dogs and I have had to work hard to get my little terriers under control. It's just disappointing to see after watching that video and I think there might be a case for putting that dog down after watching it at real speed. On top of that, the attack would have been much worse if the handlers weren't holding the dog. It was a defensive bite, but even defensive dogs will bite more than once if things aren't controlled immediately. Pretty disappointing to see and my opinion has kind of changed on the situation.

edit...it's pretty disappointing to see because small dogs often get away with that sort of behavior, but due to the size of larger dogs they aren't allowed second chances.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

WTF, seriously? The poor thing was just rescued from an icy lake 24 hours before that. I'm willing to bet it was already on edge when they had it in front of all these bright lights and strange people. Then this lady comes RIGHT UP in its grill, and you expect it to act normally?? It showed it's teeth as a warning. Dogs bite when they are afraid, anxious, or angry. I'm willing to bet this poor dog was all three, but it still deserves to die?? Ugh.

14. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

I know this isn't funny for the Anchor (although she was asking for it) but...

Anchor: "happy valentines day..... dog: bi@tch get out of my face *bite*"

LMAO

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

repped. my most favorite show ever.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Anyone else read it as "...Gladiator Maximus attacked Kelly Dwyer..." ???

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

What happens when you get in a dogs face?

A. He licks you
    B. He bites you

Take your chances....but don't blame the dog when the coin lands on tails.

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Her fault - but I like the way the dog played possum to snooker her into biting range.

Yeah, you'd better know a dog before getting in its face - unless it's a french bulldog or pug.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Nice looking Dogo

Let the dog live.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Truth is that that dog is probably as much pit as it is Dogo Argentino. Not many real Dogos in the U.S. but plenty of white American Bulldog, Pit Bull and Mastiff mixes being passed off as Dogos.