1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Luis Scola make's Hollinger's 2011-12 All-Disappointment Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forty4487, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

His decline in rebound rate doesn't really show anything other than we got better rebounders on the team now.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There also seems to be a dramatic drop in the 2nd half. We always did go to him early in previous years, but he seems to disappear more now in the 2nd. Do you know a stat site that shows 1st half vs 2nd half splits?

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

He isn't having a great year but "he look ok"

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

This.. I'm not worried about Scola at all... he's been playing all year (with the Argentine national team) so some rest may be good for him.

5. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

He seems fine, I don't care what this guy says.

6. Nero

Nero Member

It's a different offense as well, people need to remember that. This offense is more suited to getting Scola his sweet little 17-footer jumpers that he is so good at. That draws him away from the basket more than last year, particularly when it comes to offensive rebounds, and plus it doesn't seem to get him as MANY shots.

I think he is still just as clutch and nails as always, Hollinger just needs to look at the whole picture. If RA was still here, there might be more to this 'story'.

7. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

having a 7 footer grabbing 10 boards a game doesnt help ... but i'm a bit disappointed too so far, and i'm concerned about his shot selection (and i'm concerned too about some shots he doesnt take)

8. cod

cod Member

Holling is another national NBA writer who is "too busy covering the NBA" and with media commitments to watch NBA games.

Posters here with LP see more games, watch more teams than he does.

9. Pete the Cheat

the guy looks pretty good for having had knee surgery in the offseason.

at the time of the Gasol trade I was heavily in favor of the swap, simply due to my pessimism surrounding how well Scola would recover from the surgery (being on the wrong side of 30).

I regret ever doubting you Luis...

10. dartherus

dartherus Member

And remember how durable Scola is, the knee injury was not him being injury prone, it was a NBA_sized player falling directly into his knee.

Before such unlucky accident, Scola had zero absenses in his NBA career.
    With Scola 100% recovered and more adjusted to the new scheme, he'll be a big time contributor again.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

NBA StatsCube provides splits by quarter:

http://www.nba.com/statscube/player...201112;season=r;splitType=period;splitValue=1

Your observation is correct.

60% in 1st period.
    55% in 2nd period.
    41% in 3rd period.
    24% in 4th period.

Interestingly enough, last season his percentages went up each quarter.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Chase Budinger isn't on the list?

13. valorita

valorita Member

When it was Scola's job to be a secondary threat in the post (aka during Yao's era), he was a decent rebounder.
    He cannot shoulder offense and rebounding load at the same time. It's just not in him.
    If we get a true post threat, his rebounding I bet would jump back up to his above average numbers of past years.

14. ashishduh

15. ashishduh

But wow, his numbers for the first half are through the roof.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Love Scola but time for a trade to the Nets for Deron.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I get he actually has good rebounders around him but 5.7 rpg is pretty pathetic for a PF, almost 2.5 less than his career mark. His defense is incredibly worse than last year and he is wearing down at the end of games.

I think the schedule is eating him alive and playing year round may finally be getting to him. Hope he turns it around but it most definitively a concern.

18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I think he will be fine. With PP getting back into shape little by little I think this will help Scola, it looks to me like he is tired from so many games in such a short period of time.

20. dingus

dingus Member

I *HOPE* fatigue is the cause of his poor play. Anyone that thinks that Scola is playing at the same level he has been the past two years is kidding himself. His defense has been atrocious... and his rebounding numbers are down.

He was around 22% DRR (defensive rebounding rate) last year when he was shouldering more of the offensive load, vs 16% this year (I don't care what offense McHale is running, it shouldn't effect the defensive boards).

Many of you have commented that Dalembert is "stealing" all of Scola's rebounds. When in fact Dalembert is rebounding at the same rate Hayes was last year, and the team (as a whole) is rebounding at the same rate as last year.

My eyes tell me Scola is not as active on the boards as last year, and the stats back that up. And even though Scola was awful at defense last year (which is a little surprising as he played passable defense years prior) his defense this year is even worse.

As many of you have commented, hopefully as Patterson gets healthier Scola will have more time to rest throughout the season.