1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola make's Hollinger's 2011-12 All-Disappointment Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forty4487, Jan 24, 2012.

1. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

It's Hollinger, so take it or leave it.

2. forty4487

god damnit, I have no idea why I added the apostrophe there. Forgive me. I need caffeine.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He doesn't LOOK much worse out there.

In fact he looks great running the floor.

But he's just not grabbing boards or drawing fouls.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

5. Know Your Role

Luis will get it going again, I do agree with the sentiment that he has dropped off. The stats do not lie but I do not agree that it will be the case the whole season. I don't think he's done making an impact. He'll come around, he always does.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm glad PatPat is playing more.

Maybe Luis just needs some rest.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You have to account for Dalembert and Parsons snagging some of the rebounds that Scola was grabbing last year. The team's rebounding average is actually up slightly from last year.

8. forty4487

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like Hollinger's articles. Some of them need a "for entertainment purpose only" on them. He crunches numbers well but he's like that IT guy at your company. He's okay, but you wonder how much time he spends in a cave.

When Boston traded Perkins, the team went south. People were saying the trade broke the team chemistry. Hollinger was adamant that Perkins had already missed so many games, so, What chemistry issues? To which I would say, Boston had overachieved to that point in the season, in part knowing Perkins would be back, in part because they had been together awhile. Remove that innocuous-looking little pin, however, and the grenade blows up.

I do agree with him on Luis. The guy has given his all on this team but this year he looks exhausted, and his defense, never good to begin with, is probably on par with my 85 year-old Gramma's.

Hope he turns it around, especially if we can't trade him for an upgrade or to make room next year when DMo shows up.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Dalembert, Parsons and Lowry all stealing his rebounds, particularly on the defensive end.

As for foul drawing-- I am noticing less space for him to make moves (not many "ice cream man" calls this year from Bill/Clyde/Bull).

11. forty4487

I also think it's too early to tell. He's had some miserable shooting games recently and I'm not sure you have enough data to determine true year over year decline, simply a short term trend.

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Hollinger also said Budinger would be a breakout star this season.

13. forty4487

The entire team has done a pretty terrible job at getting to the line compared to last year, so I think it might be unfair to single out Scola alone.

14. conquistador#11

why no sammy and lowry share rebounds, yes?
    he still look ok!

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It looks to me also that he's getting pushed out farther on his post ups. Perhaps he's not battling for good post position like he did last year (could be a fatigue thing). Maybe there were some other things the Rockets were doing last year to help him post up closer to the basket that they should revisit.

16. HorneR

HorneR Member

Geez, he's regressed a bit but nothing like what people are making it out to seem.

This season's rough on older legs.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe having Chuck Hayes as a post-entry passer and taking the opposing center away from the paint?

I mean, you don't really want Dalembert throwing post-entry passes...

His personal stats (traditional or "advanced") have regressed quite a bit, but I don't think his skills or performance has regressed nearly to the same degree. After all, the starting 5, of which Scola is a part, is still functioning quite well. Overall, I don't think Scola is on the top of the list of stuff we need to worry about.

18. forty4487

I've noticed he's been taking more hooks that have dinged off the front of the rim instead of banking against glass. It might just be perception, but I've noticed a lot less scoops this year and more weak side shifts to double team him when he's posted up.

19. marky :)

marky :) Member

Scola was on fire the start of the season and maybe him playing during the offseason and the condensed schedule is catching up to him. I say in about 1-2 weeks he'll be back to normal.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've noticed watching him that he seems off. He seems to be having trouble converting as much in his post game and is frequently turning the ball over when he tries to post up. Fortunately he's been hot from mid range to make up for it, but how long can that keep up? His rebounding is down, and yeah, a lot of it comes from Dalembert taking rebounds from him.

His defense may have improved marginally though, so that helps. But still, Luis needs to be scoring, and scoring efficiently, to be a starting-caliber power forward. I hope he gets it going.