1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola make's Hollinger's 2011-12 All-Disappointment Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forty4487, Jan 24, 2012.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

I kindve agree. I think overall we're a good rebounding TEAM (7th in league), and now especially w/ Dalembert in there (instead of Hill or well...as much as I love him even Hayes) he's just getting less boards to a larger guy who is closer to the rim. And Lowry gets more of the outer ones by being a bowling ball bulldog. Hayes was great for his size, but once again his size was still an issue.

He's drawing less fouls because thats all it is. He's not being less aggressive, its just they're not going to call the flops anymore (or as much) and he doesn't try them as much.

If anything, I think Scola is playing cleanly and efficiently. His J looks good, he's added that nice lefty hook every now and then, the post moves are still there, he's always there on the fastbreak for a made layup, and he grabs an adequate # of rebs.

I wish he had more FTs too, but as a Rockets fan I always think we should have more FTs in general.

I wish he was a better defender. Other than that, nothing. He's not declining, he's just on a better team and surrounded by good players that take a few of his stats down a bit.

Oh well.

7 game win streak.

Winning matters, not stats.

stfu Hollinger.

2. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

Are you referring to the apostrophe in "It's"? Because that is correct. "It's" in this case is the conjunction "it is" not as a possessive which is "Its".

Confusing I know.

Signed,
    The Grammar Police

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I am fine with his numbers coming down as a result of the improvement in play of our other guys. But defense is not really quantified by numbers, and when I watch them play his defense generally looks much worse this year than last to me. Yes, I too was surprised: I didn't think it could get any worse but it has.

Once Patterson returns to full strength, I hope he becomes a starter. Just a more complete player at this point, post moves be damned.

4. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yeah, like Budinger and Hill. Scola's rebound average has increased slightly since Parsons and Dalembert are starting.

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

There was also a stretch at the start of the season where McHale experimented with Scola at center vs Bynum and Gasol when we played the Lakers and Griz respectively, where he unsurprisingly did not rebound or match up well at all. His up and under moves may also fall under what the Refs consider to be the same as Kevin Martin's moves that don't draw free throws this season the way they have in the past.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If the team is doing the same, and Dalembert is doing the same as Chuck while Scola is rebouding less, it means the extra rebounds were "stolen" by Rockets players at the other positions. Prime suspects: Lowry and Parsons.

7. dingus

dingus Member

I think you would have a hard time convincing me that Lowry is "stealing" rebounds (I don't know of any place that has the range of rebounds; i.e. how far from the rim the rebounds are gathered).

My only point was that Dalembert is NOT the reason that Scola is getting less rebounds this year (don't laugh, but if anyone is stealing rebounds this year, it would be HILL), and that Scola is the only player on the Rockets rebounding at an appreciably lower rate than in years prior.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The other possibility is that the increased rebounding rate at the PG and SF positions are net new rebounds that the Rockets would not have otherwise gotten and that Scola's decreased rebounding rate is indeed hurting the team.

Watching the games I think this is plausible, because it seems we are giving up a lot of offensive rebound under the basket (where Scola used to be a good rebounder) and we are getting more long rebounds and offensive rebound (TIP DUNKS!). So, I don't think Parsons and Lowry are stealing Scola's boards, but are rather making up for the ones he is giving up to the other team.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Or Lowry and Parsons are picking up the slack from rebounds scola isn't getting.

If Scola was doing his share, the Rockets would have a better rate, not the same.