1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets won't win a championship with Steve as a PG.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by spaldingtattos, Dec 2, 2002.

1. spaldingtattos

Steve could be a great SG but he certainly isn't a PG that can bring a championship to the Rockets. This team is going to be another one of the many mediocre teams in the league, good enough to make the playoff may be but wouldn't have a prayer of advancing to the 2nd round.

Rockets simply don't play as a team. There is no clearly defined offensive half court sets. Players are using their individual athletic abilities and not playing as a team. It pains me to see a team with only a few healthy talents simply destroyed our team. And the reason is soooo simple and clear to everyone that the kings played as a team.

Until we go out and get a legitimate PG, a player that's unselfish, sets up his teammates first with a good court vision I don't see us winning a championship.

2. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

is the record player skipping? i swear i have heard this awful song played out by a thousand skeptics before :rolleyes:

3. hama lama

hama lama Member

I heard the same comment from Sportsradio after the disgusting loss.

4. spaldingtattos

is the record player skipping? i swear i have heard this awful song played out by a thousand skeptics before

Well, hmmm... I wonder what's the reason that you're hearing this more and more?

5. YaoFan

YaoFan Contributing Member

Well, we cannot listen to the replay enough.

:mad:

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

See superpro's "We need to see the players move!!!" thread. (http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46702)

It's difficult for any PG to make passes for easy scores when his teammates almost never have good position, because they're just standing there.

You think the Kings play as a team and we don't? I agree. I'm assuming you think Bibby is a good enough PG for a team to win a title with? I agree. Just so you know... Bibby averaged 5.0 assists last year!

Movement without the ball, passing, and ultimately a cohesive offensive unit rests with the ENITIRE team, or at least the starters. Steve can certainly improve, but the rest of the team could improve even more. They need to move without the ball, which is what all of Sacramento's players do. Small wonder none of the bashers in this thread even have 50 posts yet.

7. lycqf

lycqf Member

How to identify a smart PG. Here is a clue. Face figure: A smart person is not usually look ugly. You may find many good looking PG in NBA, such as MJ, Kobe, Andre Miller, Parker, even AI . If a PG has a small front head , it is not a smart sign. Rudy may got blur eyes when he picked his PG.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Sorry, but just because you don't think Steve is sexy doesn't mean he's a bad player. :rolleyes:

9. Rockets711

Rockets711 Member

man we gotta keep Steve at point guard and worry about some other players we need to trade and Rudy's coaching. I know Steve needs to improve but I think it takes a coach to tell Steve his roll is to get the team involved and worry a lil less about scoring big numbers. I think we can win with him at point as long as Yao turns into a great passing center.

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Let's see, there was the "Rockets won't win championship with Cuttino Mobley starting at SG"...

There was also "Rockets won't win championship with Rudy T as coach"...

And let's not forget, "Rockets won't win championship with Yao Ming"...

And my favorite, "Rockets won't win championship in our lifetime."

And now this. You know, I'm thinking maybe we won't win a championship here...

:rolleyes:

11. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

1. looks have absolutely nothing to do with basketball or being smart, not even at point PG or any other position. This may be one of the most rediculous associations i have ever come across.

2. If we follow your logic, you must be the dumbest person ever. I had to read this post several times just to make sense of your terrible grammar/logic/syntax. ("A smart person is not usually look ugly." ???? "If a PG has a small front head, it is not a smart sign." ???)

3. MJ, Kobe, and AI all DO NOT play the PG position.

I am sorry. I think that everyone should be able to express their opinions no matter how rediculous or redundant they may be. However, this post crosses a line.

I apologize if you are under the age of 10 (I honestly would feel like a jerk and would be very sorry:) ) But, if not, I hope that you learn that we atleast try to keep our posts within a certain boundary of logic.

12. hama lama

hama lama Member

Mr. Dunk, my thread was intended for posters to make suggestions on a point guard position. It was entirely different from those "Steve hating" or whatever you phrase it.

13. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

We don't need much of a point guard if we play like Houston did with Hakeem in his prime or LA does with Shaq during their championships. Matt Maloney would have sufficed 93-95.
    OTOH Moochie might have been killed by Hakeem for dribbling too long and not passing the ball quickly enough. But we do need to pass the ball to the big guy in the middle.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

lama,

"Rockets won't win a championship with Steve as a PG" is the title of this thread. You're asking for "posters to make suggestions on a point guard..." That is why your thread was closed and I directed future responses to this thread.

So who is your suggestion to take Steve's place at PG, lama? And please consider salary cap rules.

15. spaldingtattos

I'd be happy with someone like Gilbert Arenas. He's young and relatively inexpensive plays unselfish team ball and looks to pass first. Gilbert Arenas for Mobes and move steve to 2. How does that sound?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That trade sounds great. I'm sure having Mobley in the backcourt with Jason Richardson would be an awesome 2 shooting guard attack. The likes of which the league has never seen. Great trade. Or did you mean they would ask Mobley to come off the bench while Earl Boykins ran the show? Yeah, I like that, too because I honestly think they'll trade their very good point guard (Arenas) for a backup shooting guard (Mobley) or maybe move their 1st round pick (Jason Richardson) to the bench.

17. spaldingtattos

Hey, that's just a thought. Do you have other ideas without criticizing? :)

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What? All I did was agree with you. :)

19. spaldingtattos

No one really stood out as a clear candidate. Man, a good PG is hard to come by these days.

20. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

We need someone with good looks and a giant head at PG guys! Hmm... how about bert (or was it ernie) from Sesame street?