1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey to interview disgraced ex-college coach Kelvin Sampson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 25, 2011.

?

Should the Rockets interview disgraced ex-college coach Kelvin Sampson?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I don't believe he's not a good person. I've had several conversations with the man. I think he's a good guy. There's a lot of pressure on college coaches to bring in guys and I'm sure a lot more break the rules than get caught. I agree with AstroRocket that he's not much of an offensive mind, at least he never appeared to be so while coaching at OU. We always had very impressive defensive teams though. Maybe this team needs an influence like that.

2. MONON

MONON Member

My 1st reaction to interviewing Sampson was NNNOOOOO! However after reading the responses, I'm open to the idea of Sampson as our next coach. here's why.

Our next coach is probably going to be our Moses in that he takes us to the gates of the promised land and sees the promised land, but isn't there to lead us in the promised land. If, as Spacemoth mentioned, Sampson is part of a plan to get Blake Griffin to Houston; then he fits the bill and would be expendable afterward.

I'll be more interested in seeing who Sampson's assistants are in that case.

3. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Seriously repost, seriously.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Because it is unethical and against NCAA rules. Is that not enough? And don't say, "he just got caught." Because he got caught twice.

The *whole* purpose of a verbal commitment by star players like Eric Gordon (which are often done as Juniors in HS) is to STOP people from pestering the kids and families and basically stalking them. This is not the NBA free agent market. These are kids.

He made 550 illegal calls to 17 recruits. What if 50 coaches did that?

He was also charged with providing false information to the NCAA investigation committee and Indiana's compliance officers; although, he denies doing so.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I guess there wasn't a thread about this already

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And Yao being the center had no influence at all. JVG definitely would not have taken the job without Yao being here.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When is Blake Griffin a Free Agent exactly?

Hmmmmmmm?

DD

9. delta69er

delta69er Member

Morey should interview those fired football coaches from Morton Ranch High School

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Has Rick Adelman ever violated anything or anyone in order to win 900+ games?

Sampson might be a good coach and a "good person" but the last thing we need is to lose draft picks and scholarships due to NBA violations.

11. AnnaMegan

AnnaMegan Member

12. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

I thought that Alexander was the one that had to be talked out of firing Coach Adelman at least once, if not more. I think that Adelman wouldn't have been back no matter what Morey's plans were....and hey, the said that were casting a wide net. Who knows what they might catch? They've already caught some squid.....let's see what else turns up. :p

13. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

14. wadero

wadero Member

What does ethics have to do with Basketball? It is a professional sport where players get paid and so do coaches. Unlike in College where the only one the NCAA wants getting paid is themselves. Point is this you hire the best guy if Les wants Sampson he will hire him. I hate when people want to bring ethics in sportds it should be what you do on the court!!!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. You are disgusting and deserves to wake up in bed with Donald Sterling pumping you from behind.

2. "Ethics" may or may not have anything to do with pro basketball, but rules and violations have lots to do with pro basketball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Smith_(basketball)#Timberwolves_salary_cap_scandal

#55 Carl Herrera, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

My reaction to this is the same as Pete Carroll going to Seattle. There's no way he can coach with a salary cap.

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1k1i4Ddngg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Sooner423

He never coached Griffin.

If he would have stayed at OU, he would have had Scottie Reynolds, Damion James and the Griffins.

#58 Sooner423, Apr 26, 2011
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks, did he recruit him?

DD

20. Sooner423

Yeah, he was probably texting him from birth. ;)

He did coach his brother Taylor though.

#60 Sooner423, Apr 26, 2011