1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey to interview disgraced ex-college coach Kelvin Sampson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 25, 2011.

?

Should the Rockets interview disgraced ex-college coach Kelvin Sampson?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. AggieRocketsFan

2. ribbit

ribbit Member

Daryl Morey is looking for a coach with more upside. Adelman has reached his peak. LOL! :grin:

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

I doubt this happens but smh

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

As I've said on the bbs before, I'm from Indiana and am a monster Hoosier fan. If the Rockets hire Sampson, I will lose it. I can't really see it happening, dude just isn't a good person, not the kind of guy you want representing your orginization.

5. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

There are a bunch of smilies for this site but not one that shows an animated face throwing up. I would put like a million of those to show my discontent towards hiring this guy. haha

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Whoops, I was wrong. It was Jeff Capel who just got fired. You know, come to think of it, Sampson and Capel share a bit of a resemblance. But mostly it was the fact that they both coached at OU and got fired in the last decade.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I get the feeling Les and Morey already know who they want ....Big smokescreen with lots of obligatory/strategic interviews.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

LOL wonder if I can walk in for a interview.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

That's funny, I get the exact opposite feeling.

Who are they trying to throw off with their Big smokescreen anyways?

Somewhere in a dark room Cuban throws his hands up and shouts, "MOREY!" when he finds out about their latest coaching snag.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Ditto from an OU grad. Also, while he's decent defensively, this guy can NOT coach an offense for sh-t. I mean, absolutely terrible on that end of the floor. He makes JVG look like, well, Rick Adelman.

1 person likes this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Several things come to mind.

The "PLAN" continues to be put forward .....very much a method to the madness IMO.

The way we quickly ushered Adelman out. (I know we're rebuilding and Rick wasn't brought here for that, but...)

Some of our "candidates" don't have a prayer in Hell of becoming the next Rockets head coach. Don't forget the PR angle plus perception around the League.
    Then there is the leverage`against the "real" target with regard to $$$$$$$ during the negotiation phase. Perhaps said coach is on the fence but I doubt it.

The shield against possible tampering due to the guy still being tied up in the playoffs? lots of possible angles here.
    Also, look at Les's hires .......The man gets who he wants...top notch talent.
    Either way, call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think they already have a somebody in mind.

I'm not sure who it is...Brad Stevens is the coach du jour at the moment and there are plenty of qualified assistants (Bud and Casey) and former head coaches.
    Even though we're "rebuilding I wouldn't rule out one of the older cats. Sloan/Brown

Anyway Spacemoth, I like the idea of Cuban sweating his a$$ off in a dark room picking up the phone and hearing DM's voice on the other line saying .....Be berry berry qwiet, we are hunting bun - E Wabbits......

....window dressing with a purpose.

#32 Plowman, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

I agree with your post. I imagine that there's probably a short list of candidates that are their real target(s), and that they already know good and well exactly what they want.

I'd be surprised if any non-NBA experienced college coach got the job, myself, unless it was someone with a love of all things stat-related...and even then I'd be surprised.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Are you people questioning Mr. Alexander's proven process for selecting a coach?

15. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

The problem with casting a wide net is that you also got a chance to catch garbage.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Obvious typo - I saw OJ Simpson headed towards the T-Center in a white Bronco - Les thinks he will make them play "more Phoenix-like" and put butts in seats.

17. Vivaelsueno

Vivaelsueno Member

We're not questioning Mr. Alexander...we're questioning Morey's.

Unless Morey is a Yesman to Les, this is all Morey's plan.
    If Morey is a Yesman, then he is even more hopeless than we thought.

18. wadero

wadero Member

Looking at just his college record he is 515-285. The only thing I could find was the guy called other recruits trying to get them to come to OK and Indiana after they verbal with other schools? What is wrong with trying to get the best players for your squad. Some of there rules are just plain stupid, If a kid gets swayed because you call him he did not want to go to that school he verbal with. I think it smart to interveiw him he has good record in college and he is a Assistant Coach in the NBA and he coached on the Olympics. I say why not. Get him the right players and we may have a Winner.

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

One thing is for sure, the next coach won't be nicely paid like his predecessor.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member