1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMac or Bust (NYPost/Berman)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 31, 2010.

1. herro

herro Member

I would feel much better about parting with assets if we're dealing with Phila. simply because they have youngsters that can be thrown in to balance things.

Thad Young
    Holiday
    Speights
    1st Rounder

those are sweeteners enough to soften the blow of losing a Battier, Scola, Ariza, Lowry, etc.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good post Bima. NY could easily be used as a 3rd team in a Tmac trade. The trade you outlined with the Rockets getting Iggy and Jeffries sounds like a good one to me.

3. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well I was referring to drafting big's in the Top 10(Lopez(10th pick) & Nowitzki(9th)),and i specifically picked those two b/c their are two prospects (Cousins & Motiejunas) that might be available at our current Mock draft position(12th pick) that have potential ceilings similar to Dirk & Brook's IMO...but looking back at it, I guess i really didn't think that response through...my bad :grin:

PS. However I do disagree on the need for another PF/C, I would draft a big of that caliber as insurance to Yao. Developing a young back up that can eventually take the starting spot (In case Yao gets hurt again or comes back semi-healthy, not to mention both Cousins(6'11), Motiejunas(7'0) are 10 yrs younger than Yao)...and adding height & length to the PF position wouldn't hurt either (Scola 6'9 & Landry 6'8)

--RB

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kobe-Pau-Bynum-Odom-Artest-Fisher------------------Trash
    Iggy-Yao-Brooks-Landry-Scola-Ariza-Lowry-Budinger-Dalembert?

Talent wise we would matchup with anyone...

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

FIXED, I agree talent wise, but I would remove fisher, b/c if we were in a series his inability to stay in front of brooks, will cause him to lose minutes, so he would get replaced with Farmar or/and Brown

--RB

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fixed again because Scola and Lowry would be gone...no way we trade Battier before signing them.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Really? No way? Why in the hell not? A lot of guess work there...

My guess is that Morey would find a way to keep Lowry and Scola both... Maybe moving Battier, maybe restructuring Yao's contract... etc... I think Les would consider just paying it for 1 year If it meant a legit shot at a ring(which it would)...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

yeah, it may be a lot of guess work but my "guessing" is more likely while yours is "les" likely to happen.

1 person likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Agree to disagree.

In DM we trust. If we could get Iguodala by himself and find somewhere to spin Sammy, that would make it even easier...

11. REEKO_HTOWN

absolutely, I would LOVE Iggy but the Sammy situation is really ****ty.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Yup, I agree. The question is (I imagine) do you take Sammy and another young asset like Young/Speights, Or do you try to get third team involved and just take Iggy?

I think the Rockets might take Dalembert if the Sixers threw Young or Speights at them...

13. REEKO_HTOWN

yep. We have to get a young player or a draft pick. There will be posters that say that's greedy but we are helping them more than they are helping us.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I cant reasonably see Philly doing this without getting back more. I think NY gets too much and Philly too little.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You're right on both counts (it IS greedy, and we ARE helping them more, sans the extra young talent), but Philly will NOT be giving up Thaddeus Young in any deal. Highly unlikely that they give up Speights, either. Those are the two most valuable pieces to their entire franchise. It would take a team willing to team both Dalembert and Brand to get Philly to even THINK about giving up Young.

I actually think they're regretting the size of the deal they gave Lou Williams. Hence, the Iguodala/Dalembert/Williams packaged rumored to have been offered to Houston. I would say that Philly's top franchise assets are as follows (in the following order):

Thaddeus Young
    Their 2010 first round pick
    Mareese Speights
    Andre Iguodala
    Jrue Holiday
    Their 2011 first round pick

Putting it into that context, I don't think you'll see the Sixers giving up any of their top 3 franchise assets in any deal.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You're probably right.

Like I said, Philly would need to get pretty desperate and abandon hope of using Iguodala to dump Dalembert's salary. That said, Philly isn't going to be good anytime soon, is clearly rebuilding around its younger players, and while Andre isn't really old, that $56M remaining on his deal is pretty hard to swallow.

True, though. An expiring contract, $6M in cash and three early to mid-second rounders probably isn't enough for Iguodala, even with the payroll relief.

I wonder, though, if the Knicks' 2012 first rounder and the Rockets 2011 first rounder (each with some limited protection) would be enough.

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Maybe I'm strange, but I could swallow Jeffries's contract if we could get our hands on Gallinari and Lee. Lee is an adequate player and a good tall guy, and I think people slightly underestimate Jeffires- yes, he's definitely overpaid, but he's nowhere near as bad as Curry, and can defend fairly well.
    And I am extremely high on Gallinari. That kid is damn good.
    I think something like T-Mac +fillers (Dorsey, Taylor, Cook) for Gallinari, Jeffries, Lee, and at least one draft future pick (and more likely two) would be acceptable. Of course, maybe I'm crazy.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

You're not crazy. But you ARE way off in thinking that there is any way that David Lee gets traded this season.

I'll say this one more time, and I'll use all caps to make sure that people notice this:

DAVID LEE WILL NOT AGREE TO ANY TRADE OUT OF NEW YORK THIS SEASON.

He has veto rights on any trade, since he is a "1-Year Bird" free agent this summer. That means that, if he is traded from New York, he will lose his Bird rights that the Knicks would have this summer if they kept him. That could cost Lee tens of millions of dollars in free agency. He is holding out hope that either (a) the Knicks re-sign him to a big money deal if/once they strike out on Lebron, Wade or Bosh, or (b) the Knicks sign-and-trade him to another team. There is NO FREAKING WAY he waives his ability to get PAID this summer by agreeing to a trade during the season.

It's not going to happen. No chance. Zero. Zip. Nada.

(Also, it is highly doubtful that New York will agree to trade Gallinari under any circumstances. MAYBE if a team was willing to take back both Curry and Jeffries. Otherwise, I just don't see it.)

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Simmons summed that part up best frankly by pointing that if you're going to risk losing a chance for Lebron James because of Gallinari, then you are an idiot.
    I could do then Jeffries, Gallinari, and fillers (if not Lee, maybe Darko? I know he sucks, but a big would be nice). We're not taking back Curry and Jeffries under any circumstances really, and especially not just for Gallinari. If Morey's going to balk at getting Iggy because of Sam's contract, I doubt he's going to have interest in taking back Curry's and Jeffries's contracts for anything the Knicks offer.

So yeah, something like:
    McGrady, Cook, Conroy (of course this trade would be made after Lowry returns), maaayyybeee a second rounder for Gallinari, Jeffries, and Hughes? That works, and I don't think I'd really mind that.

20. LifeisButaDream