1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMac or Bust (NYPost/Berman)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jan 31, 2010.

1. LifeisButaDream

It has to be a 3-way.there not giving us Jordan Hill or Toney Douglas.

2. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

If he turned that deal down then he really is an idiot. I love Lowry but Lou Williams is more than adequate as a Lowry replacement. I would have to believe that rumor is false and they were asking for more (Landry in particular).

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you must not understand my analogy.

if we want iggy we'll have to take dalembert correct?

that means losing Scola and Lowry.

you now have no backup pg or starting/backup pf.

do you expect yao to be the same player? he wont play close to the same minutes.

iggy isnt worth the cap hell for 2+ years.

4. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

You tank and this board is going to self-destruct :grin:

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If we get David Lee...then we have to give up either Scola or Landry...we don't need 3 players playing PF. We can trade Scola for Iggy.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, It does not...

Battier can be moved, Yao could negotiate a new deal, and Les could just pay the damn thing LA Laker style...

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't understand. He said "What if we draft Sam Bowie" and instead of coming back with "but what if we draft Michael Jordan", which would have made sense in this analogy. You throw out Brook Lopez and Dirk Nowitzki. Now, if you're going to go with random guys completely unrelated to the Sam Bowie draft, you could have picked any two players that have ever been drafted. You picked Brook Lopez and Dirk Nowitski. And the strangest part, we don't even need Brook Lopez next season. We'll have Yao back. And as for Nowitski, obviously he'd be an upgrade, but power forward is one of our strongest positions. I am really baffled by your response. here.

8. Williamson

You think so? When the Lakers championship foundation is Kobe, Pau, Artest, Odom and Bynum?

9. herro

herro Member

the Knicks just don't have anybody

toney douglas my ass

they don't have a shot

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the only thing i see happenoing is Yao Maybe taking less money.

thae cap is going lower next year and Stern wants to gring a Hard Cap sooo, yeah it does.

11. parmesh

parmesh Member

Errr...how do I put this?

DO NOT WANT

12. Possum

Possum Member

The most amazing part of this is that there is someone outside of this board that still thinks TMac has enough game to take a team to the playoffs. :eek: What a joke! :grin:

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think Iggy as an elite ball handler nor do I think of him as a great shooter.
    He is a solid defender,athletic and can run in the open court.
    Defense and length will help but it's not going to be enough. Offensively,Iggy will help but not well enough with Yao.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This.

I don't think knote32 has fully thought this through, beyond Iguodala being a great addition.

On the subject of McGrady trades involving the Knicks and Sixers (I didn't know exactly where to put this post and didn't want to start a separate thread), I wonder if Morey would be willing to make the following three-team trade:

New York receives: Tracy McGrady
    Houston receives: Andre Iguodala and Jared Jeffries
    Philadelphia receives: Larry Hughes, cash and future second round picks

Why New York does it: First of all, they get rid of Jeffries's contract and open up $6.8M in additional cap room. Second, they add McGrady for a playoff run this season, something that the team desperately wants to achieve (but not at the cost of cap room this summer). It would only cost them the expiring contract of a player on the fringe of their rotation (Hughes), some cash (probably the full $3M) and some future picks. Most likely, it would cost the Knicks both of their 2010 second rounders (their own and the Clippers' pick). Still, to dump Jeffries AND get a piece like McGrady, that's a small price to pay for the cash-heavy Knicks.

Why Philadelphia does it: Well, it's looking more and more like the Sixers are fearing having to pay the remaining 4 years and $56M on Iguodala's deal AFTER this season, especially if they're not going to be good anytime soon. With this trade, they don't get to also dump Dalembert or Brand (neither of whom any other team is interested in), but they do get payroll relief and some high second round picks to play with. The cash (which could be as much as $6M from the Knicks and Rockets combined) would also be welcomed with open arms by Philly ownership. Sure, it's not a "pretty" deal for Philly, but they need to dump SOME payroll. And Iguodala's gargantuan deal is the most tradeable.

Why Houston does it: Sure, taking on Jeffries's deal won't be palatable. But to add a player like Iguodala, it might be a price worth paying. It may also cost the Rockets some cash (maybe as high as $3M) and possibly their 2011 second rounder (the higher of theirs or the Clippers' pick), but to get a talent like Iguodala, that is probably not a deal-breaker.

IF the Rockets view Iguodala as a missing piece to a championship puzzle, perhaps Les Alexander follows through with his promise to pay the luxury tax in order to acquire a "special" player. Now, an Iguodala/Dalembert package would likely put the Rockets in luxury tax hell next year, with Les having to pay a ludicrous amount of money in payroll and tax. However, an Iguodala/Jeffries package, while still resulting in the team venturing into luxury tax territory, would involve far less financial outlay from Les Alexander.

Let's do the math, shall we?

The Rockets would reduce payroll by about $4.1M with this trade. This would also mean that Les doesn't have to pay another team to take Brian Cook's contract. So, when you add up the reduced payroll, tax savings, added shared tax revenues and relief from having to throw cash into a Cook trade, even if the Rockets throw the full $3M into this trade, they come out ahead by a total of about $10-11M this season.

So, flash forward to next season. If the Rockets re-sign Scola and Lowry to reasonable deals and use the full MLE on a third-tier free agent, Les would be looking at a luxury tax bill of around, say, $5M or so. That's a MUCH better situation than the $15-20M tax bill that taking on Dalembert's contract would entail. Plus, Jeffries is not totally useless as a player. His length makes him a good defender, capable of defending almost every position. The salary hurts, but it's not unbearable.

If the Rockets are willing to forego their cap room this summer in favor of the MLE and being able to re-sign Scola and Lowry, all without too hefty a luxury tax bill, then this trade may actually make some sense for the Rockets.

2010-11 lineup:

Brooks/Lowry
    Iguodala/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Jeffries
    Yao/Hayes/Andersen

Plus, an MLE free agent and a #12-18 first rounder. Not bad.

The Rockets can then either use their expiring contracts next season (Battier, Jeffries, Hayes, and Andersen [whose 2011-12 salary is only partially guaranteed for $135k]) in trades or just let them expire. With Yao likely re-signing (hopefully for less than the max . . . we'll see about that) and Brooks and Landry getting their money as well in 2011, you'll probably just see those contracts expire. Then, you're looking at your long-term core.

Just a thought.

15. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Well, If you want to include Artest, Odom and Bynum than I will include Ariza, Landry, Lowry, Scola, Budinger, and Chuck Hayes...

Artest, Odom and Bynum do not scare anyone.

Think what you will Bima...:rolleyes:

16. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

I want the knicks to do good because, i can't stand the fact that if knick suck this season, jazz might get a high first round pick. :mad:

17. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As Clutch said on 1560. I am afraid Iggy can become another Trevor Ariza on this team, especially behind the arc.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

New York fans would crush TMac's fragile ego.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Let's not underestimate how good of a passer Andre Iguodala is either. His defense and floor vision makes him a perfect candidate for a Princeton offense. He is extremely unselfish.

Last year he shot 47% from the field in 82 games as the number 1 option, 46% the year before that.

With Yao and Aaron Brooks, he would be the number 3 option... Find a way to keep most of our core(Deal Battier for the extra 7-8 million), and I say we have a far better team than we could possibly hope to get through free agency or the draft...

20. Williamson

I don't know about that. I feel like you've got your homer glasses on. Artest and Odom both have all-star talent. If Bynum remains healthy he could be an all-star as well. Regardless, Odom is always a mismatch as he's 6'10 and can basically play all five positions. Sure, he's under-achieved. But I think you're wrong to say those guys don't scare anyone.

Landry is the only guy you listed that compares.