1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheGreat, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why doesn't Pac get the benefit of the doubt? He's passed all the standard state testings. He isn't denying a blood test. Should we just throw all those testings he passed out the window? If so, every boxing fight from now on should have Olympic Style testing if the current standard ones don't count for anything or are not sufficient enough.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

So you are telling me that if he gets tested 31 days before the fight and 1 day after the fight that he is going to be able to cycle on and off steroids in that 30 days and have it make any real effect ... whatever

The testing for this fight should be whatever the boxing standard is and since Manny has never had a problem with this before, this is just Mayweather trying to impose his will as the freaking diva that he is

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

According to some, building up strong neck muscles will definitely help that.

4. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I think the fight happens. There's too much money involved. These guys actually need each other too. They can't even make half of what there purses are going to be if they fight other people. The only thing out their for either that's a payday is Hatton (unfortunately) and the winner of Mosely/Berto. Shane can't draw and Berto would be a disaster. HBO already pays him way too much.

The real problem is that Manny's camp made a huge issue over the weight penalty. Almost 10 million per pound. That's just insane. Manny just needs to take the tests. He has everything to lose by refusing them.

1 person likes this.
  5. SamFisher

Maybe they should have it for all boxing fights, hard to do obviously since there is no unified governing body and it's kind of expensive. I don't see anything wrong though with Manny taking a real deal drug test; let's face it, this is probably one of the absolute signature fights of the first half of the century, with all the $$$ and attention, may as well ensure that it's clean.

6. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Well if you actually look at Pacquiao's previous fights since Morales he did not move up in weight that much. His weight during fight night is a more telling tale on what his actual weight is.

http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxingforum/57604-manny-pacquiao-not-steroids-peds-plain-very-simple.html

So basically, right now, Pacman is fighting at his natural weight. But, people will believe what they believe.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Right?? We have freaking Congressional investigations into baseball and steroids. League execs have to promise to Congress that they beef up testing.

Why are we all of a sudden thinking that, for what would be the biggest fight in quite some time, enhanced testing isn't a good idea?

By the way, Angkor...it isn't merely Floyd's dad who had those suspicions. I've seen fight fans speculating on that for a very long time. It's been a bit of a cloud over Manny for a little while now, given what he's done in moving up weight classes like that.

I'm all for benefit of the doubt...I'm not condeming him and saying he's doing steroids. But anytime I'm asked to throw money at an event like I know I will with this fight, I'm totally good with better testing. I can't imagine, as a fan, having a problem with that. And Manny's excuse is just flat-ass weak.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Floyd is still the stronger, faster and bigger man. What is he afraid of. Manny is willing to take the test after the fight.

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

taking blood test 24 hours before or after the fight will show te same result. what's the big deal.

10. SamFisher

First, Of course, prior to this list his natural weight was way lower, a point intentionally omitted. This isn't a guy moving up from LW to WW, it's super bantam/feather to WW. That's a pretty big difference.

Second if it's actually arguing that the difference between this:

[​IMG]

and this:

[​IMG]
    is merely a few pounds of water weight....bwahahahhaa, no. He's clearly added a lot of muscle relative to his weight. Not just "slightly stronger and defined"

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is beyond stupid.

"I think you're on PEDs, Manny, but I'll fight you anyways. If I lose, and you test positive for PEDs AFTER the fight, we'll act like the fight never happened even though millions of people around the world are still tuned in. I will have the loss on my record regardless and I probably won't get to fight you again so I won't have a chance to redeem myself but, hey, lets do the testing after the fight" :rolleyes:

taking blood test now will show the same results. what's the big deal. :rolleyes:

if Pacquaio wants to go down as one of (if not the) best boxer in history, he won't have any issues at getting some blood drawn now. I mean, he's clean after all right? What does he have to hide? Two test tubes of blood isn't going to affect his training.

12. tested911

tested911 Member

Are you not forgetting that the fighters are probably going to receive $50,000,000

That is 50 Million for this fight.. Are you telling me he doesn't want 50 million dollars just because Manny want's to do the testing after the fight instead of 2 days before? I think after 50 million frigin dollars Floyd doesn't care if he fights Manny again or not..

Worse case scenario for Floyd

1. Floyd loses
    2. Manny does testing after fight and they find nothing.
    3. Floyd walks away with $50,000,000 damn dollars

Best case scenario for Floyd

1. Floyd wins
    2. Manny does blood testing 2 days before fights and they don't find anything
    3. Floyd walks away with $50,000,000 damn frigin dollars

The iffy Scenario

1. Floyd loses
    2. Manny does testing after the fight and they do find something!
    3. Record books would indicate the fight was not legit and Floyd still has an unbeaten record.
    4. Floyd walks away with $50,000,000 more damn dollars than everyone on the board.

The WORST ULTIMATE SCENARIO FOR Floyd

1. Fight doesn't happen
    2. Floyd walks away with $0 That is a big fat NOTHING

And for folks bad with math

$50,000,000 dollars what is it?

Average man earns $50,000 / yr would take 1,000 YEARS to earn that much.
    Average man earns $100,000 / yr would take 500 YEARS to earn that much.
    Average man ears $200,000 / yr would take 250 Years to earn that much.

It is a ridiculous amount of money!!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

Mayweather came out of "retirement" to prove that he's one of the best and to make bank. He's getting the latter but what if Manny tests positive? Why wouldn't Mayweather want a fair fight? He already agreed to the $10 Mill/pound fine that Roach/Pacquaio wanted.

Mayweather may be all about the $$ but he know he has his record/ego/reputation to keep. Is this an act of fear? I see more as Mayweather insuring himself that external factors (e.g. PEDs) aren't going to sway the fight one way or another. I'm sure if Pacquaio's clean and mops the floor with Floyd, Floyd won't be butt hurt due to the bank he's going to take home after the fight.

14. lastmanstanding

It takes one hour for the body to regenerate one tablespoon of blood so I don't know how Manny will be drained... plus for all Mayweather's supposed demands, he's agreed to the weight, glove size, overweight penalty etc.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am no drug test expret, but exactly what would a 2 day window-- from press conference to right after the fight-- allow a guy to evade in terms of blood testing?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is what i'm saying. my understanding of these negotations has been that floyd has given pac everything he's asked for. is that not right?

17. tested911

tested911 Member

So with Manny it could be several things but these are more probable..

1. He really is hiding something (maybe taking some illegal training drugs)
    2. He really is chicken Sh#t of the needle. Maybe he has some mental phobia of it.. Really it's not unheard of a grown man / woman to not go to the doctor for years just because they are afraid of a poke.

Really I'm up in the air about this.. i want the fight to happen and I wish both sides can come to an agreement already.

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

There is no question that Floyd loves money and it's the main reason he came out of retirement. That said, the 0 on his record means more to him then anything he could possibly own. It's how he defines himself.

19. tested911

tested911 Member

Just info from ESPN:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4767828"/></object>

20. steddinotayto

I'm sorry but if you're a world-class boxer, who makes a living by avoiding other people's punches, being scared of a needle is beyond stupid. I can understand if he's scared of needles because he doesn't like to see blood but c'mon, the guy's a boxer. It might not be uncommon but if you're going to throw out beatings to other guys and see them lose blood, you need to grow a pair and get the testing done.

As for the superstitious angle, what, did he lose a fight years ago when he had blood randomly drawn from him? If not, then I don't see how he can claim that he has a superstition on getting blood drawn unless he thinks he somehow can't bleed, ever.