1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheGreat, Dec 22, 2009.

1. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He doesn't really live in the gym anymore. Don't get me wrong, he trains very hard for his fights. He's just no longer a gym rat. It's understandable because he has so many other things going on. He would make a great trainer as he is an outstanding boxing mind. The rumors on him actually existed before the ones on Manny.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WHAT?!??!!? :(

Who's been leaving my daughters money under their pillow? :confused:

3. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/boxing/article6966313.ece

So if Pacquiao is hiding something, wouldn't whatever he's hiding be still be in his blood after the fight. Boxing is not just a physical, but also a mental sport. In one of his fights in which he lost, he attributed that lost to having his blood drawn a few days before the fight. Maybe it's superstition in his mind, every athlete has it and this is his.

4. Yak

Yak Member

Breaking News on ESPN: fight is off.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

Again what is the difference between Blood and Urine testing?? And why can't they just do this after the fight???

If he's hiding something wouldn't it show the day during the fight rather than 2 days before it started??

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Sure that can happen, but Floyd would rather avoid any loss, even a tainted one. Let's say Manny magically beats up Floyd and later we find out he is juicing. Floyd is redeemed on paper, but millions still watched Floyd lose in the ring. That is one punch his ego cannot take. Not even a shoulder roll would help.
    I don't think he wants to take his chances fighting an allegedly roided Pac.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Whatever ... Pacqiao's argument is much better and actually effects the fight. If it wasn't this issue, Mayweather would find another issue to pick at to keep the fight from happening.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You cycle off of Roids. Manny could be juicing during training and then cycle off before the fight, therefore testing clean for PED's

Athletes do it all the time. That doesn't even factor in masking agents

Sorry, but getting a vile or two of blood taken for testing will not affect your performance.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry, but there's no way the spinners can make this into a "Floyd is scared!" argument.

Manny should take the test if he has nothing to hide.

1 person likes this.
  10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Why can't they blood test after the fight?

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Manny never said he didn't want to take the test. Just doesn't want to take it so close to the fight which can happen with random testing. He agreed to take one after the fight. Floyd isn't scared but it seems as if they're looking for any advantage they can get. Starting from the 154 pound and 10oz glove request. Just more mind games to throw Pac off. If you aren't there mentally, you have no chance against a Floyd Mayweather.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

thank you.

the amount of spin on this for manny...i'm guessing mostly out of hatred for floyd...is just amazing to me.

you want the fight?? take the flipping test. if you're clean, it doesn't matter. and if you're so fricking mentally unstable as to think taking a vial of blood is going to keep you from winning, you ain't much of a fighter to begin with...and manny's a fighter. it LOOKS to me like he has something to hide. i don't know if he really does...but it certainly looks that way.

13. Blake

You cycle when you take steroids. Meaning there are times when you are not taking the drug but have the benefits of the effects...you cannot just take steroids all year round...you cycle on and off them. Manny can juice all through training, then 30 days before the fight stop taking them (cycling) and he would come up clean, even though he isn't.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

First off, this all started from Floyd Sr. running his mouth because Hatton got demolished. So just because some old trainer starts a rumor based on nothing but opinion, Manny has to bend over backwards for the fight? We're talking Floyd Sr. here. If Manny has something to hide, why would he agree to take the test AFTER the fight? Do roids disappear after 12 rounds? Team $$$ does not run boxing. If the boxing commission requested this, fine. Let me state again, that Manny is willing to take the test. People reporting it like Manny denied any type testing at all.

15. Blake

see my post above. you obviously don't know how steroid cycling works...

it is entirely possible to use PED's and get away with it when you know your test date

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I actually always presumed that lots of boxing (save maybe in the heavyweights) probably had a smaller problem with steroid use than other sports, since most of the time fighters are trying lose weight rather than gain it, and because becoming a big musclebound behemoth would be harder to transfer to results and probably mess you up as it makes you less flexible/slower to react which is the secret to hand speed/weight transfer and all the stuff that makes you good at punching. Recall Mike Tyson added lots of muscle in prison but it didn't help much, also I once read an interview with Lennox Lewis where he said he never lifted anything heavier than maybe a 20 lb dumbell.

In Pacquaio's case though, to have moved up in class so quickly and experience so few effects does seem a bit suspicious. Ricky Hatton moving up from 140 to 147 took a huge toll on his ability to take a punch, but Pacquaio can go from feather to welter and actually improve his chin the higher he goes? He was even better at taking Cotto's punches than he was againt Morales in their first match, where Morales was physically a bit too much for him. Part of that obviously just could be confidence but you do have to wonder.

17. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

Hey King, you seem to be an insider....I'm a HUGE boxing guy and me and some of my college buddies were planning a trip to Vegas around this fight and were going to book our flight tickets soon. I mean I guess Vegas is a good time with or without the fight but we've always been fight guys and this fight was going to be our centerpiece for the week...I know nobody really knows anything right now but do you think this fight will still happen?

I can't help feeling that this is a lot of posturing, hypemaking and material for their '24/7' show, but I would be lying if I didn't admit I was a little worried this fight is going to really not happen. I am PISSED.

18. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

By no means am I an expert, but aren't there steroids designed to produce leaner physiques, yet provide the same benefits of increased strength and endurance and faster recovery times?

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Exactly

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's certainly unusual for that kind of weight to be gained... but is there a chin-improving steroid?