1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Testing issues could derail Mayweather-Pacquiao

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TheGreat, Dec 22, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who said they were convinced of anything? no one knows if manny is or isn't...same way it is for most athletes. we're saying he ought to be willing to give a vial of blood at virtually any point...particuarly since both fighters would be subjected to that...not just manny.

if this fight goes off, it will be HUGE. it will be amazing for boxing. asking for there to be olympic style drug testing seems fitting to me. if it sets the bar for all fights going forward, i'm great with that too.

if he walks away from this kinda purse because of superstition....that just smells funny.

#101 MadMax, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. MadMax

So we can be clear here...Pac's camp is saying, "we're fine with random testing, as long as it's done on our terms and on our schedule." Ummm...that's not random testing.

Also...interesting point..."I'm freaked out by needles...but look at my tattoos!!" :confused:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4768830

An impasse over the drug-testing protocol to be used in the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather welterweight title bout can be overcome if Mayweather agrees to allow the agencies used by the NBA, NFL and MLB to handle testing for boxing's biggest fight, Top Rank's Bob Arum, who promotes Pacquiao, said Wednesday.

"Our suggestion is to utilize any of the independent agencies that work with the National Football League, the National Basketball Association or Major League Baseball, since they administer drug testing for their professional athletes," Arum said.

The fight, which was tentatively scheduled for March 13 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, was knocked off track Tuesday over a significant disagreement on drug testing.

Mayweather continues to demand Olympic-style testing, which is conducted by the United States Anti Doping Agency. Its protocol calls for random urine and blood testing throughout the training camps, fight week -- even the day of the fight -- and immediately after the fight. According to Leonard Ellerbe, a Mayweather adviser, that means something like three to five blood tests and 10 to 12 urine tests over an approximately 10-week period.

Mayweather would be subject to the same testing as Pacquiao.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission and other state commissions conduct only postfight urine tests and, in some cases, prefight urine tests.

Floyd Mayweather Sr., the fighter's father, has repeatedly accused Pacquiao of taking illegal substances. Pacquiao, who has risen through seven weight divisions to win titles in a record seven divisions while maintaining his speed and power, denies it. He has also never failed a drug test.

"Manny says, 'I'm not going to let them take my blood whenever they want when I'm getting seriously ready for a fight. They can take all the urine they want,' " Arum said. "My fighter feels uncomfortable with that and feels that would weaken him. I know if I deal with an organization that deals with pro athletes we can agree to the protocol."

Arum said that USADA's testing procedures would not allow it to assure Pacquiao that he would at least not be blood tested during the week of the fight or even on the day of the fight.

"He'll give them blood but he wants to know it will stop at a particular point," Arum said. "He wants the fight. But he's a proud guy. He won't be pushed around by this guy [Mayweather]."

Ellerbe said that if Pacquiao won't submit to random testing, it must mean he has something to hide.

"The reason why they don't want to do that is because obviously there is something to hide," Ellerbe said. "You're not going to dictate to an organization like USADA, which has tested the elite athletes of the world, on how their testing is conducted. Arum is talking about the fighters like they're going to have a blood transfusion. We're talking about a tablespoon of blood. We're taking about a tablespoon. This is the same representation of Manny Pacquiao that says he's superstitious and doesn't like needles and then you look all over his body and he has tattoos. So which one is it? If there's nothing to hide then what is the problem?

"Boxing has an opportunity and a platform with the whole world watching to say we have a clean sport. What better opportunity that with the two top guys in the sport stepping up to make this happen?"

Arum said Pacquiao would submit to three blood tests, even though he would prefer not to have his blood drawn at all.

"Let's be very clear on the real issues we differ on. It's not about being tested," Arum said. "Manny is on board with that since it's such a major concern of Floyd Mayweather Jr. It's about who does the testing and the scheduling of the procedures.

"Manny will submit to as many random urine tests requested," Arum said. "Regarding the blood tests, he will subject himself to three tests -- one given in January during the week the fight is formally announced, one 30 days from the fight, no later than Feb. 13, and the final one immediately following the fight, in Manny's locker room.

"The major issue related to the testing rests with which independent agency will administer these tests," he said. "The United States Anti Doping Agency cannot do it because they will not amend its procedures to accommodate the blood testing schedule we have outlined. USADA, under its guidelines, would have the right to administer random blood tests as many times as they want up to weigh-in day and that is ludicrous.

"If Mayweather Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions are sincere in creating 'a level playing field,' as they stated in their [Monday news] release, our recommendations should put their minds at ease. If not, one has to wonder if their motives are more about leveling the fight."

Arum said that if they use the agencies that administer testing to the American professional sports leagues they could write down a specific set of guidelines, while USADA will conduct testing only one way.

"You gotta understand," Arum said. "I'm dealing with a Filipino fighter who is superstitious and I have to tell him they [USADA] have the power to come into his dressing room before the fight and take his blood. Any time means any time. They would put nothing in writing as to any kind of schedule. That is ludicrous. Let's bring in the testers from the NBA or the NFL or baseball."

Ellerbe said Mayweather is not interested in anything other than the USADA way of doing things because its way is random.

"We're sticking to what we've been saying," Ellerbe said. "Manny Pacquiao or any of his representatives are not going to dictate random testing. That's the whole point of random testing, so you don't get a chance to study for the test. USADA is the premiere agency for doing this, the gold standard. They're not going to have Top Rank, Mayweather Promotions or Golden Boy Promotions dictate to them. It's pretty simple. Manny Pacquiao can put an end to this whole thing by stepping up to the plate and doing this."

3. omar23

omar23 Member

“He’ll take a blood test immediately after the fight, if that’s what they insist upon. But Manny believes very strongly that it would be harmful to him to draw blood that soon before the fight and he plain and simple isn’t going to do it.”

Manny isn't trying to hide anything. He is willing to submit to a blood test immediately after the fight. If he was on anything it would still show up. This is all Mayweather being difficult and trying to cast doubt in other peoples mind.

Shame on anyone falling for this crap.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I can see it both ways. He should take the test for obvious reasons. He shouldn't have to take the test because its an insult to his character. He's being accused without any hard evidence. But then again, that's how America works.

5. MadMax

It would be insulting if Floyd weren't subjected to the very same testing. He will be.

6. MadMax

I'd say shame on anyone falling for the "i'm frightened of needles" crap.

In a sport that's been marred by controversy and shady dealings...I can't imagine any fight fan having a problem with enhanced testing. I wish they did it for every fight.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Of course he has to, they're the ones that demand the testing. Floyd isn't the one that is being accused of juicing for demolishing his recent opponents.

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Where are you getting this frightened of needles stuff? ... Not saying you are lying, I just haven't seen it anywhere stated like that.

From the article you posted ...

... This to me makes a lot more sense especially to a fighter at the level they are at. These guys have all kinds of beliefs like this. I mean, its pretty similar to the fighter that doesn't have sex for weeks before the fight because he feels it weakens him. I think most people think its crazy, but if thats what a fighter believes then why should he cater to Floyd's demand.

Again, Manny gets tested 31 days before the fight, urine tests in the 30 days leading up to the fight, and another blood test the day after the fight. That proves he did not use drugs illegally and he doesn't have to do something that he feels will harm his performance. Sorry, but this is Floyd being a diva and nothing else.

9. omar23

omar23 Member

Manny is willing to submit to a blood test immediately AFTER the fight. Doesn't sound like he's that afraid does he? That should clear up ANY questions about any type of PEDs. In his mind he feels that it will harm him before the fight. He hasn't had to go through this type of testing before and he shouldn't now.

This is just Mayweather trying to be difficult.

10. Prince

Prince Member

and the good thing is, if Mayweeahter wins, there's no need to do the drug test after the fight, they all keep their millions and he keeps his legacy. If Manny wins, drug test right after the fight, then we'll get to see if he's clean. If not, Mayweather still wins, and they can still keep their millions.

The thing about this is this is not really a drama to sell their fight, this is causing the opposite. I know some people who are becoming disinterested to ssee if Pacman doesn't take the test...

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Manny's camp is going to have to take some extensive testing at this point. If you particiapte in any of the major boxing websites message boards, you will see that roughly 75% of the fans are saying that this should not only happen (Manny's testing), but this process was long overdue and needs to be implimented into boxing permanently. It's now a national news story. If he doesn't take the test, there will be major backlash. Honestly, it's not fair that Manny is being made the example when their are plenty of others who have either been caught or have the same suspicions hanging over them. It's certainly a reality for him now though. If everyone in his camp knows he's clean, taking the tests and passing with flying colors are huge for his marketing and legacy. Anyone who advises him otherwise shouldn't have a job. Even if Floyd beats him, the old accusations are put to rest and he still goes down as a top 20 fighter of all time. No shame in losing to Mayweather. If he wins, he is amongst the conversation of top five and his marketing value doubles. I can't even grasp how anyone would tell him otherwise unless he's not clean.

12. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

totally agree. right now, he's got a rocky image going for him... the good guy underdog. he should and if he fails it. i'm rooting for him, but if he fails it, my opinion's going to change.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I want him to take and pass every single test with flying colors. This fight will be action packed. I hate that the highest grossing fight in the history of the sport was pretty much a sparring session.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Take the Pac Man nuts out of your mouth long enough to read this.

Floyd has fought from a low of 130 to a high of 154 (though his last fight was 142.) He's currently fighting 2 weight classes and 17 lbs above where he was in 1996 - 13 years ago.

13 years ago, Manny Pacquiao (1 year younger than Floyd) was fighting around 108, at light flyweight. He has since packed on 34 lbs of pure muscle (33% of his bodyweight) and is now fighting at WW, 9 weight classes higher.

Get it?

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Get Floyd's sack out of your mouth long enough to read this:

Mayweather fought at 106 lbs in 1993 at the national Golden Gloves championships.

3 years later he packed on 19 lbs of pure muscle for the same event and weighed in at 125 lbs.

By 2005 he had packed on another 22 lbs of muscle for a welterweight fight.

16. lastmanstanding

HGH can take a few hours to a few days to get out of your system. IF Manny was on it and knew when he'd be tested he could just not take them prior to the test which is why random drug testing is required by both sides.

17. lastmanstanding

And floyd is willing to take the random tests isnt he?

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Seems to me like he's trying to get out of the fight.

19. MadMax

there are articles in this thread where they say he's superstitious with respect to needles. one of the comments from one of manny's guys that i read tried to somehow tie that into him being filipino...which i didn't understand.

EDIT:

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_y...?slug=ki-boximpasse122209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said the demand is “absolutely crazy,” done simply to harass Pacquiao, who is squeamish about needles, and is proof that Mayweather doesn’t really want the fight.

#119 MadMax, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  20. MadMax

It is absolutely asinine to call it random drug testing if it's scheduled.

The same testing for the Olympics should be implemented for pro boxing. This will end up being bigger than Manny v. Floyd.