1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I Need To Excel/Surpass the Other Me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. pimp kee

pimp kee Member

Its not like he's going to start next season with a fired up work ethic from an alleged interview...He's just going to be the same ole Tmac...'Unstable'...haha

2. Bigpetelikeiron

Probably Yao was just joking around when he said the jealous thing. The team seems to have a good sense of humor with each other. They always rag on each other like that starting with good ol' jon barry! He is the king of making that pretend jealous bc the stars get all the glory and i love it i love to see the guys mess around with each other like that, it shows how much they trust in each other bc they know its a joke if they read that somewhere.

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

um if anything, yao should get more fire. yao got bullied by boozer on defense and pushed around by okur on offense.

again, if anything, yao has a lot to prove also. all the pressure is on tmac so yao is getting a pass from the american public. in that sense, yao should feel he's being slighted.

if he said that about kobe, let's just say kobe would have a response already.

4. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Obviously, Yao isn't getting a pass from you! We all know that, one reason for Yao's problems in playoff is 'mismatch' because Rockets didn't have a good PF. Of course, Yao also had his own weakness, no one denys it, including Yao himself. Yao has already worked with Dream and CD to improve his skills this summer. I believe we can see a better Yao next season.

I am not a YOF or TOF. Same as most of rockets fans, I like them both. I hope both of them can be better players, and rockets can finally pass the first round. I also think, as superstars, they have responsibility to make each other to be a better player.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

why should yao get a pass from me? he's the best center in the league.

i want the rockets to win. i don't care if yao or tmac is jesus. les pays them millions to perform.

tmac didn't perform in 3 of the 7 games and that cost us. he had to play at his best EVERY game.

but i'm saying based on YOUR interpretation, if u think it's ONLY tmac that needs to have more fire, you're wrong. yao is actually the one that needs more fire. he often allows the other teams to dictate how he plays. hopefully adelman will change that.

6. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Good points, although I don't know if his instability was entirely his fault. He had just come back from what was basically a half-season hiatus of no basketball. He was rusty as **** for the longest time and only got his groove going during the 2nd half of the season.

Hopefully with a full season under his belt, he'll be more like the T-Mac of yore. Hopefully. God knows how much I want T-Mac to wreak havoc on the L again

7. mayurpatel

mayurpatel Contributing Member

You know, I've been around this board for ages but, as you can see from my post count, I don't say much. However, I would like to say, and respectfully request, that this freakin' thread needs to be closed... please. Nothing good can come of any of this continuing.

Dear god it's like everyone is trying to get in their $0.02 worth and making this thread 8+ pages. Yes, I realize this is, after all, a discussion board, but have some restraint people.

Thank you. I'll post another year from now. :cool:

8. Aemon

Aemon Contributing Member

Was that Yao sounding off or Confucius telling us about the pillars and spines and whatever?!

#168 Aemon, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  9. Arkansas rox

Arkansas rox Member

that was an exaggerated translation, yao cant speak english as well as the article showed, also yao is very humble so the comments he made about t-mac being unstable and his jealousy surprise me

10. tmac&Yao

tmac&Yao Member

:) I support you!!
    everybody may make a mistake.I will thank you a lot for translating chinese news about YAO into english.So we can konw about YAO's when he is in china.
    First,although some reports from internet websites of china is not correct,you translation is correct and you spend time and energy in doing it.thanks again!
    Second, i believe our clutch fans will not believe those false news about yao coz we alll konw what a person is.We have the ablity to distinguish what words are from yao's mouth. :D (except you are a kid fan who dont have the ablity)
    Third,some of the news is true about yao,so when we are reading chinese news about yao,we just sorb the correct and give up the false.Dont regard it all true if we dont hear it from yao's mouth with own ears :D

11. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I think you've got it WRONG altogether.

I don't know how well Yao Ming's English proficiency is.

But one thing is for sure. The interview was conducted in Chinese, and what you read here is my English translation from the Chinese transcript.

Maybe you're giving me compliment about my English ability....and for that I thank you. ;)

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the people critical of pryuen's translations should get that thumb out of their asses and start typing their own so they know how thankless volunteering for the task is.

With translations, it can be difficult to interpret the context, especially since it's not the original source's words, but the reporters. If the wording says Yao is jealous, that doesn't necessarily mean a negative connotation or that there's drama behind it. As for people getting bent up with unstable, insert unpredictable, erratic, or whatever floats your boat.

Even with English sourced interviews, it can be difficult to know what the intentions are, and only hindsight can reveal the truth out of them.

So quit bashing the messenger. Pryuen's hours and hours of work is helping all real Rockets fans cope with a unbelievably long off season.

13. bulk

bulk Member

Never read Yao say this kind of thing before. Although it may not mean anything unrespectful to TMac, but the smell is different.

Maybe it has something to do with SF3 coming back? Don't forget SF3 said it openly that Yao is one important reason for his decision to come back. Hm, jealous ... :p

I'm 70% joking, 30% worrying.

14. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

People tend to overread things. thats just human nature. sad but true. i dont think yao intented to belittle or degrade tracy. we have to understand that something that is said in chineese, can have a different meaning in english.

15. bulk

bulk Member

Hope you're right. Maybe those 3 guys are mature enough to get along well with each other. But my gut feeling tells me there's gonna be some ( hopefully small ) difficulty. We'll see.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yao is a kind and good enough humanbeing for me to understand that there was no malice was intented whatsoever in he's words.

17. yangjihui

yangjihui New Member

I am a rocket fan from China,i like both Yao and Tracy,and i think many people can't understand the word "jealous" in Chinese!It contain some mean like "admire",you can understand it as "if i can do it like him ,how nice that should be!" ,in Chinese,a word often have several different means!
    we all know Yao,then what do you think about this! :)

18. abundance

abundance Member

This is not a love triangle. They are NBA players. Yao ain't gonna have any problems because Steve is in Houston.

19. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

No if you read and followed the flow of that interview, you will know he was JEALOUS, and NOT admiring. There is a subtle difference between the two.

This is the transcript from that interview

What he was saying, he was into his top form and conditions and shouldered the team from the start; TMAC was invisible for 1H and only erupted in 2H, but got all the praises and glory afterwards. Yao Ming was jealous as he felt TMAC just picked the best cherry after all his hard work.....

But of course, he further added that he really won't mind cos he knew his position/role in the team. As long as the team wins, he is willing to play second fiddle to TMAC, be the foundation cornerstone rather than the spire.

In fact it is consistent with his personality/character. 2 years back, he once said as long as the team can win, he is willing to be the soil upon which the flower (TMAC) grows.

I really don't think I've made a mistake in my usage of the word Jealous here. It is definitely not admiring or envy. :rolleyes:

20. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

i agree that this does not sound like Yao....he said he is jealous of TMAC...either there is somethign lost inthe translation or somebody is adding words in there (not you pryeun)......
    like the earlier poster said, it seems like an evil twin of yao.... i dont like it when players say they are jealous of other teammates whether it is true or not....it shoulnd't be said....but I don't think he said it anyways...