1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: I Need To Excel/Surpass the Other Me

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

Pryuen is just stupid to translate all these stuff and the result is: you stir things up and make us think Yao is a sour grape. What a jealous Yao.

2. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

I guess this explains why you are a Rookie with >1000 posts for no reason...

3. tsunami

tsunami Member

LOL whom you think you are.

4. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

Someone who gives his/her insight rather than needlessly bashing other posters. Pryuen may be a bit overbearing at times, but there is no question that he contributes...a LOT.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but again, unless it's 100% accurate, do not post it at all. like the tmac blog. same w/ this.

again, one or two words can really change the way a person conveys their point of view. so unless he has the EXACT translation, don't bother posting it.

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

that's why you hear A LOT of celebrities say - "i was misquoted"

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't think that at all about pryuen. I made a "cryptic comment" late last night that those who don't watch HBO here in the States might not understand. John from Cincinnati is a HBO series that has the central character making all sorts of strange comments. Very trippy, and you'd really have to see it to understand my reference. I thought the "unstable" word didn't sound like Yao, because here it really refers to mentally unstable. Yao would never say that. (IMO!) I think it meant more that Yao thought you could never be sure which Tracy would show up... the one with an injured back, hurting and playing tentative, or the guy who's one of the very best wings in the NBA. Much different context.

What I find strange, really, is the need for a "cat fight" over these articles and their translations. With the appearence of windandsea, what seems like an age ago, now, I've come to enjoy the perspective of those Yao fans who make an effort to keep us apprised of things in the Chinese media. Not just about Yao, although he's obviously #1 in the interest part, but also articles and columns about the Rockets in general, and the other players. Those who make the effort to translate these things deserve a lot of credit. It'd be nice if the cat fights, however, could stop getting in the way of the info and understanding what it means.

8. tsunami

tsunami Member

I don't underrate Pryuen's effort. But sometimes his translation confuses the others. Like jealous vs admiring as some Chinese fans posted. So if you really want to mean "admiring", please use that word, because in English jealous means jealous, and it does not have any meaning related to "admiring". You use the wrong word, and you express totally different idea.

9. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

You turn everything into a Yao vs Tmac, just as long as someones says something that props up Yao (Tmac's name wasn't even mentioned by the poster that offended you) that may devalue Tmac's position on this team in any way, shape, or form. Your like the Tmac version of that MingDynasty dude

Don't know whether this interview is reliable or not, but TMac is unstable, both his game (jumpshot, attacking the rim, effort), health, and emotionally(sensitvity to minor things). Although he is 20xs better than Francis, I've always like the Franchise more. Mac just seems kind of fake. Wasn't really a big fan of him, pre-Rockets . But he's alright now, we're going to need him because he is a very good playmaker. We need another playmaker though, in case Mac misses more games. The only reason he was so vital for us was last year is because he was the only play maker on that team. I don't know if Francis or James are reliable enough, and Brooks is probably too green.

10. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one has replied to this.

This is the key nugget of the interview. Yao Ming wants to play until he's 34. That's huge! My memory could be foggy, but I think I remember, maybe a couple of years ago, that Yao said some borderline-troubling things about maybe having a short career, not sure how long he could keep going, etc. Now, he sounds fired up to play through 2014 or so.

Excellent news.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

seems fake? if u ask ANY reporter, he's the most honest player to interview.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but i have a BAD feeling if ESPN gets a hold of this. u know how they hype EVERYTHING.

13. Rover16

Rover16 Member

Sounds like Yao on red kryptonite. But you can't blame yao for being a little jealous if true, cause you remember how he heard all those media folk say the rockets were better off without Yao? And with regards to the unstable bit, someone else most likely had it right. He meant that tmac could explode anytime scoring wise which he's been known to do. Quite easily to figure out, cause after yao says that he talks about how tmac scored 1 point in the first half and then exploded in the 2nd half. He doesn't mean unstable mentally or physically, but meaning that tmac can just explode and go on a scoring run at any time.

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I am really glad Pryuen posts these articles, and translates them for us. It's a lot of work, and most here truly appreciate it, Pryuen.

The Chinese press can't always be trusted to be accurate though, as we've seen, and one has to consider the source. Of course, the American press can't always be trusted either. It can be very biased, unfortunately.

We all have to glean, and not take anyone's quote as the full truth. We have to listen to things in context, not just immediate, but over time.

When I read "unstable," I winced. That is not something I would ever expect to come from Yao's mouth, unless it somehow referred to his injuries, or was Yao's sense of humor in that context, which wasn't reported. That immediately sounded to me like a reporter's opinion, not an exact quote. So, I figured there had to be opinion, carelessness of reporting, context not in the piece, difference of meaning in translation from Chinese to English, or something, but in the context of what I know of Yao, I knew there had to be some innacuracy, since he has always shown the highest respect for TMac. I didn't assume the innacuracy was Pryuen's, but even if it was, I appreciated him taking hours to try to translate the article, and figured that others would come forward and help understand what was meant. I looked at the quotes of TMac in the same way.

But, to attack Pryuen in the way some have, without respect, is not something that is appreciated by most of the posters in this Board. When any of us post something, all opinions have value, not only to be considered but also challenged, resulting in everyone learning more. Personal attacks kill freedom and opinions, therefore they are considered without class and unwanted here. Those who have been on this board from the beginning have always condemned this behavior, and usually the person get's kicked off. When someone makes personal attacks, it usually is because they cannot use intelligent reason to express their opinions, and everyone here can see for themselves that they aren't worth listening to.

Keep up the good work Pryuen.

#94 Sherlock, Jul 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here here ! Sherlock........

Personal attacks do not help this board.

DD

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

While I don't doubt that many of the non-native Chinese-speaking viewers here would feel a lot more comfortable with your version of the translation concerning the interpretation of the original Chinese expression 更像不稳定因素, I think it's far from literal translation which IMO should be pryuen's "job."

This is not to say, however, pryuen did a particularly good job in this case. A literal translation would be something along the line of "... compared to Tracy McGrady which is more of an unsteady factor, I think I can be a sturdy cornerstone, I can sustain 45 minutes for you, but the last 3 minutes needs Tracy McGrady to [take over and] finish off ..."

Everyone is free to speculate on the meaning of Yao's words, be it his original thought or free-lance rendition of Yao's interviewer, if so desired. Without verification, nobody here can say for sure one way or another. We are at the mercy of ethical practices of the journalists around Yao. If anyone has issues with a part of or whole article, take it up to its author. Pryuen makes mistakes here and there, just like the rest of us. As long as he does not alter the meaning of original text, we should all be tolerant of the occasional imperfections. Keep in mind he does all these searching and translations as a labor of love. Nobody, I mean nobody, comes even close to the amount of effort he spends in this regard.

17. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

so many chinese articles are not to be trusted....yao does not talk like that...from the suppossed player revolt vs jvg, to being jealous of tmac...this board should give these articles less than zero credibility

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

thank you for your inut. However, I think people here can decide for themselves what they want to believe or not to believe.

19. Rover16

Rover16 Member

That is actually one of the most credible and believable things reported considering francis's character.

20. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

its not....trust me on this...no revolt...hated him yes, but francis is not a strong enough leader to lead a horse to water let alone lead a penny hardaway type revolt....