1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitlock going full Fox News.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jul 6, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So, do you feel judged? You said it didn't bother you, but I'm still not sure if you actually feel judged.

2. JumpMan

This is important.

I never said BAD. I said right or wrong.

This goes back to people feeling judged when they're told something they did is wrong.

Are you talking about there being right and wrong in general or the specific act we've been discussing?

I answered this question that was not specific to the act:

What you just quoted is not what I answered.

This is what I answered to that question:

That was my answer to what leads me to conclude something is right or wrong. My mistake if you wanted me to answer what led me to believe the specific act is wrong.

I believe in God. I am not sure if that makes me religious. The verification for me comes from within. I don't know how else to explain it.

It is legal to cheat on your spouse. Now, is it right or wrong to cheat on your spouse?

In both the act we've been talking about and the act of cheating on a spouse there are people making choices. I don't feel a need to take those choices away, but I'm not going to agree with either of them. To me, neither of them are right.

3. bongman

bongman Member

If you don't have an explanation, then the logical or reasonable answer is I DONT KNOW instead of hanging on to that belief. You can later change your mind if you found justification to believe it.

Cheating is wrong because the other person is negatively affected. That is how I measure moral actions. Does my action affect other people negatively. and if it does, it probably is not the right thing to do.

Nook likes this.
  4. JumpMan

I did have an explanation. It comes from within.

Would you vote for a law that makes cheating illegal since you agree that it is wrong because it could hurt someone?

Did you know that some, heck, maybe even most, cheaters would never admit that what they did was wrong? They'd blame the other... She was boring or wasn't respecting me... He didn't make me feel loved or wasn't paying attention to me... They'd tell you that you're wrong for judging them. Ain't that a b****?

I think the act we have been talking about could also hurt those involved. Do you?

5. bongman

bongman Member

This is where the disconnect is. You have an explanation that only YOU can understand.

You already mentioned that you regreted the Steve Francis issue when you got to the point of wishing the team would lose to prove yourself right and would it be a big leap to presume that you felt he was the best because it came from within?

FEELINGS can get you either the correct or wrong answer. Why would you use that as a measuring stick?

If the only reason you have to believe this is... JUST BECAUSE, then we will have to agree to disagree as reason and logic does not seem to be important to you.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. JumpMan

Just because I can't explain it, doesn't mean an explanation isn't out there. Maybe when my kids are grown and I'm retired and just sitting by the pool, I'll think one up and get back to you.

No. I would say that my feelings were influenced greatly by others. The more criticism I read of Francis, the more I defended him, the more I defended him, the bigger he grew. To the point that he grew bigger than the team. It was a learning experience that I certainly don't regret.

I realized later that had I remained independent in my assessment of Francis I would have seen and appreciated him for what he was. This is why I suggested to pgabriel not to get too involved and to become aware when you do. That was my point in relating that story to him because he occasionally loses his cool around here.

I wouldn't call them feelings.

Besides me not forming the intellectual explanation that you seem to need to explain what guides me, I have presented logical and reasonable arguments and questions. Appreciate the time.

7. bongman

bongman Member

No need to get back at me as I have a good feeling you wont be able to get there as you have no intention of using logic and reason to find out whether your opinion is true or not. You don't seem to care as all your saying is "because I said so".

If you don't call it feelings, then I salute you as you are using a sense of perception that is alien to the rest of mankind and only you have that ability.

JumpMan likes this.