1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitlock going full Fox News.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, Jul 6, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://outkick.com/what-to-the-intelligent-is-colin-kaepernick-a-fraud/

He had the nerve to equate this to Kap and it's a apt description of his entire career.

It’s a divisive hot take packaged as righteous indignation.

Here are some more outatkes.

The United States of America, because of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, was actually a global leader in abolishing slavery. As writer and historian Thomas Sowell has repeatedly pointed out, long after the U.S. Emancipation Proclamation, blacks in Northern Africa still bought, sold and utilized white slaves.

Slavery was a global phenemenon. Economies were reliant on it. You couldn’t just snap your fingers and make that kind of global tradition go away. The world still hasn’t rid itself of slavery.

But we have and did. And we did it before most of the rest of the civilized world because our imperfect Founding Fathers had foresight.

Looks like somebody needs a new gig.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I was wondering where Whitlock would end up. Didn't know he found a new gig. Wish him well. To me, his old show, Speak for Yourself, was the best show of its kind and it ain't bad with Marcellus Wiley leading it now.

mario_v and RayRay10 like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looks like he is not doing well.

This is his gig.

He has certainly fallen a lot from almost running the black Grantland.

Stupid.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015/07/jason-whitlock-and-the-saga-of-black-grantland.html

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn, I do kinda wish everyone in my town had "rejected" 4th of July. It was just way too loud and lit, and that included people of color shooting off tons of fireworks too, FWIW - not just white folks, all damned night long. I mean, please let's all reject that holiday moving forward. Or let Jason White-locked, DJT, and Arnold Schwarzenegger own the holiday and have some sedate BBQ together or something.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Clay Travis is a Bigot. He is just spews Faux News talking points (his radio show is on Faux Sports radio). Whitlock ending up there is no surprise. No one else will hire him now.

DVauthrin and jiggyfly like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  7. JumpMan

At least he tried to start a Black something. He seems to understand the value in Black ownership and leadership. That is commendable. Speak for Yourself is still the only sports show of its kind led by Black men.

In my opinion, after reading the article, his failure to get Black Grantland running is in part a reflection of the lack of confidence Black people have in Black men as leaders and the lack of respect people have in Blacks as conservatives and Christians.

I can say that I am a little disappointed in the direction he is taking, but we'll see what transpires from here. Just from a quick glance at the Outkick website, it seems that he's the central figure besides Clay Travis. I don't look at it as a fall, though. I think this type of website as a counter to the woke ESPN will be successful. I will follow it to see if he gets his own podcast that is like Speak for Yourself.

RayRay10 and Astrodome like this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly don't see how a Black person could be Christian given it was the religion used to justify their enslavement.

Conservatism is diametrically opposed to solving urban Black poverty at its root cause. They'd rather just lecture Black communties with normative statements like "Black people ought to care about their education more" and be "tough on crime". That is the conservative solution to solving the poverty generated by 400 years of systemic racism.

Nook, mdrowe00 and CometsWin like this.
  9. JumpMan

Like I said, no respect.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

I understand but respect is earned, not inherently deserved. I don't know why the Black community has to respect people who are diametrically opposed to the interests that benefit their communities.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

It seems like a looooong time ago since Whitlock was interesting or relevant.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I see you are a Whitlock fan and that's ok, I just thinkhe is a huge blowhard whose ego and imcompetance got in the way of black grantland.

Whitlock was not the person who thought of the idea, he was just given chance to run it and you know what the site still happened its'[ just called The Undeafeated.

So how does that jibe with your black men as leaders take?

Maybe they just did not have respect for Whitlock?

I used to be like you and liked that Whitlock had some nuanced takes and was not so quick to tow the line but he started to just become a hot take machine and now he has just sold out.

Here is another article about his time there.

https://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

He comes off like a hater and wannabee Skip Bayless.

RayRay10, JumpMan, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Just because something is used in the wrong way does not mean everything else about it is bad.

How do you explain why Christianity is the major religion of hispanic people.

Conservatism is not diametrically opposed to solving urban black poverty it's the current interpretation of Conservatism.

malakas, davidio840, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  14. JumpMan

Respect, like love, is not something you discriminately choose who deserves it or not. Those two things cannot become conditional. You are free to disagree with people and correct them when you think they are wrong.

Try to disagree respectfully and you might get people to listen more even when your message is something as ridiculous as Black people shouldn't be Christian. That shows that you have no respect or love for Black people, believe it or not, because it shows you don't even respect their freedom to choose to be Christians. That's wild.

Be honest, when was he ever interesting or relevant to you?

15. KingCheetah

A looooong time ago.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  16. fchowd0311

You can disagree respectfully without having respect for someone.

Also not having respect for someone isn't the same as not seeing humanity in them.

I'm sure Whitlock came to his opinions from how he was raised to the events he's experienced. Like all humans he's complex. I don't respect him at least in terms of politics and I think his rhetoric is harmful.

Understanding why someone is something isn't the same as understanding they have the right to do so.

I have these same views with my own family. The only reason my mom wears a hijab is most likely multiple centuries ago our ancestors' village or community was invaded by Muslims and they were force concerted.

To me I can't understand why someone would practice a religion that was used to justify their ancestors' enslavement for multiple centuries. But I also understand that it's easy for me to say this as I don't have the "faith" gene.

#16 fchowd0311, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    JumpMan, Nook, mdrowe00 and 1 other person like this.
  17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. likestohypeguy

Now that whitlock's no longer host, Chris multisausse BROUssard's boycott of FS1's speak for yourself is over.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

In 2 years Clay went from a balanced opinion from both sides, like applauding Beto's campaign and how it will be the future of politics to full shapiro and candance mode.
    It's an easy grift. If Candace gets profiled by the police, guess who she's going to call? NACCP. And she is going to want to get paid.

I listened to the first show Whitlock did last month and I knew what Clay was going to do before Clay did it. Clay, in chupacabra fashion(JohnLOpez) asked Whitlock a question, wording it in a way that only one answer was possible, the answer Clay wanted to hear. I was like.. he just brought him along to have a minority validate his opinions. The radio show was getting some back lash for going too political for a sports talk show.
    Listened to it the following day and it was the same thing. I thought he was excellent when he wasn't so obnoxious. I still might cheer for him if he gets in a twitter war with Nick wright again.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly I am surprised there are so many people committed to both Christianity and Islam.... both essentially just raped and plundered their way across the world and now some of the most faithful are those that were oppressed.

I will say that there are a lot of young and well educated black and Arab (no not all Muslims are Arab) Americans that have decided they are atheist.