1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump's coronavirus response

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020.

1. foh

foh Member

Not even one token independent expert or medical person? Well at least this "council" is going to make a quick decision then...

edit: this is too ridiculous to be true..

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

The campaigning has started and Fauci is now the fall guy for Trump's decision making. How predictable... MAGA supporters doubling down. Biden was the wrong choice.

Nook likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL I came here to post this. This looks like it is straight out of "The Onion".

[​IMG]

Nook, RayRay10 and foh like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I was just going to note this. On facebook its insane how quickly they are ramping up this media campaign.

The issue is this tactic just isn't going to work. At some point Trump has to have credible medical and scientific health professionals working with the administration if they want to get out of this. People are going to realize if Trump cuts them out, and puts himself and his dumbass son in complete ownership of the response that every death from that point on will be owned by Trump.

Can cannot bully the American people into believing that 20, 30, 40, 50,000 (or whatever it ends up being) deaths did not occur. And they aren't dumb enough to not see that other countries will have hundreds of deaths instead of 50,000 and say "Gee.... what was different here than in South Korea, etc."

edwardc and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Just for the sake of Devils Advocacy, and because the other side's rebuttal has mostly been nonsense since it seems the only thing they're good at is to "follow orders" from him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...impeachment-hurt-trumps-response-coronavirus/
    https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/4/1...s-pandemic-coverage-cdc-should-you-wear-masks

The second article does not use the first one's point as a cause. I think mindshare and adequate attention was sucked away from the virus. Westerners also likely brushed it off as another sars.

Sars 1.0 wasn't able to hide this well, so all of it's cross border containment strategies have been mostly rewritten.

I dunno. This seems like a better appeal to the undecideds than to blame an economy destroyed by isolation on the "Climate Change establishment". Debate away.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Full Weekend TODAY interview with Dr. Fauci on Feb 29:

https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauc...s-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

Worth watching the full thing. It starts with a reference to a speech Trump gave where he was saying fears over the coronavirus was another Democrat hoax, and asks for Fauci to respond. Fauci wisely declines to directly comment on that. Why aren't Republicans playing that part?

Fauci understood the risks, the signs of community spread and the challenges that would pose, but there was also pressure not to directly contradict the messaging from the President at the same time, who wanted to downplay the risks because he was looking at it purely from a political angle. Hence, the somewhat somewhat mixed answers from Fauci in that interview (me paraphrasing): "This is something to be concerned about that we are closely monitoring; no, you don't have to change day-to-day activities right now, but at the same time pay attention as things develop."

It is funny how some people with an agenda to erase blame from Trump and shift it to others are just picking out that middle part where he say people don't have to change their activities at that moment (in late February), and ignoring the rest. It's a shame when politics gets in the way of understanding what's actually going on.

Nook, vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

well this is a lie

what exactly is your proof Fauci was giving out advice to Americans that he didn't believe in? Haven't heard this conspiracy theory yet. Where does it come from?

#2247 tallanvor, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  8. foh

foh Member

Before firing the guy, you'd have to prove that this is not just him trotting the company line and that he had correct and complete information to go by when making decisions and then actually advised Trump or whoever else in the government to sit still and wait till community spread takes hold.

Then again, this is how it works in an accountable government where electorate and the media are asking the tough questions.

Polls are finally starting to reflect that Americans won't be so easily duped by Trump's apparent ineptitude.

#2248 foh, Apr 13, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

Nope, video has already been longed released.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. tallanvor

he called the Democrats criticism of his response a hoax not 'fears over coronavirus'. The statement was a lie which is probably why Fauci wouldn't answer it. Real shitty journalism.

"The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus. You know that, right? Coronavirus. They're politicizing it,” Trump said on Feb. 28. “We did one of the great jobs, you say, 'How's President Trump doing?' 'Oh, nothing, nothing. They have no clue, they don't have any clue.

One of my people came up to me and said, ‘Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia.’ That didn’t work out too well. They couldn’t do it,” he said. “They tried the impeachment hoax. That was on a perfect conversation. They tried anything, they tried it over and over … It’s all turning, they lost. It’s all turning, think of it, think of it. And this is their new hoax."

11. dobro1229

Tallv, & co. - Let's say Trump solves the problem of Dem plants in his taskforce and fires Fauci and co.

Then what comes next? Who are the medical professionals that will serve the country better, and are you okay with those results which will be Trump owning every single death that comes after since he will then own whatever the outcome? Firing and blaming Fauci is a solution to pass the blame sure, but the American people aren't all idiots. He'll own what comes after if he doesn't already.

On a list that includes stupidity like:

-Dismantling the pandemic response team
    -Gutting the CDC's budget
    -Ignoring reports going back to November
    -Intervening to keep early testing (removing the ability to contain)

....you can then add to the top "Firing one of the worlds leading health professionals".

So I don't really know where this serves your purpose of politically trying to protect Trump. I'm not usually in the business of trying to protect Trump politically, but my advice would be to hug Dr. Fauci and send word out to your media friends to cut the BS blame game strategy. Have Trump get out of the way during the briefings/campaign rallies, and present an administration that knows what the F it is doing.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. tallanvor

Fauci isn't a Dem plant. wtf.

edwardc likes this.
  13. dobro1229

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

Given the context of what Trump was saying, you can argue the semantics of the use of the word "Hoax" but the point is still the same... which was that Trump was purposefully downplaying Covid 19 to his supporters. So if he called THE VIRUS a hoax or not... doesn't really matter. He was communicating that very point in a few different ways in that speech, and had been doing so for weeks.

I just don't really know what you are trying to prove here.... That Trump has been responsibly in properly educating his supporters about the severity of the Virus???

Again... we aren't idiots.

14. dobro1229

Oh that is 100% what the right wing media has been campaigning for the past 48 hours. It's all over my facebook. It's 100% clear that this is a pro-Trump media strategy. Do they say that "Fauci is a Democrat...".... maybe not directly but indirectly yes, the Pro-Trump media is 100% aligning Fauci as a political enemy of Trump.

Do you really deny that?? That would be hilarious if you really didn't believe that at this point.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

let me guess which site you got that

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

Them brothers are sharp clothes wise but as for being on a council to reopen the country that's something different lol.

18. foh

foh Member

Interesting compile. Thanks.

There is also this response by the WH spokesperson in your axios article:

"While the media and Democrats refused to seriously acknowledge this virus in January and February, President Trump took bold action to protect Americans and unleash the full power of the federal government to curb the spread of the virus, expand testing capacities and expedite vaccine development even when we had no true idea the level of transmission or asymptomatic spread."

This is tacitly implying that president takes his cues from the media and public discourse (tweeter?) more than he does from his advisors or task forces. In which case, media should be cc'd to his various briefings! This way everything will work more smoothly, for sure! Trump is a smart guy - we just have to talk to him in language he understands: ratings & tv shows. Too bad we don't have "Fox & Friends from the Future" show on cable tv.. OR our intelligence community could make a reality show that would air to viewers based on their Top Secret clearance. (too much sarcasm.. i can't help it)

Does anyone know if knowledge of asymptomatic spread is relevant when R naught is already accurately estimated? 3 to 5 R-naught (mentioned by Navarro in his January 29th memo) for novel virus seems extremely hard to contain and US international airports weren't trying to contain it in February if in fact Trump decided to use a containment policy instead of a mitigation one (this is based on personal travel experience).

Pandemic is top 3 national threat (per media reports on administration transition) to the country. Intelligence community's top priority is to protect us from threats of that magnitude. It'd be shocking to me if no one in the government knew of likely virility of the new coronavirus and even about its asymptomatic spread. I guess there is always possibility of deep state sabotage...

I really don't want to skip summer because of this. Winters in Chicago are not fun. What a bummer.

#2258 foh, Apr 13, 2020
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. tallanvor

i just gave you the quote dipshit, but by all means use a snopes summary of another part of the speech........

tell me more about your facebook sounds official and important