1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Major

Major Member

Unless there's details not being reported, this is terrible in structure. Even living-wage people would make substantially more being unemployed than employed - there's really no incentive for service workers to go back to work in a month or two if things reopen.

Take a $15/hr full-time worker. Under this system, they'd get $7.5/hr from regular UI (in Texas) + $600/wk? So they'd now be making $22.50/hr for being unemployed? What does the average restaurant or movie theater or whatever do when they are ready to open? Why would staff come back to work?

The Real Shady likes this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Pelosi is not what held up the bill the House didn't have the power to stop the Senate. Senate Democrats did that by voting against it. And the version on Tuesday had the things I mentioned, whereas the one on Sunday didn't. You do the math.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Democrats handled the bill well, they were able to get the additional protections they wanted. They should have originally gotten out in front of the bill and controlled the message from the beginning but the additional protections off set a lot of it. They do need to stop the green initiative crap and anything that can be attached to it. The American people don’t want that crap during a crisis.

mikol13, Pringles, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is trying to simplify a large bill into a few tweets. I'm guessing it would max at 100% of your normal income. Between this bill and the one last week, it is a pretty massive amount of assistance being granted.

Nook likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

I've read the same as the tweets in longer articles, and no one mentions a max, but it does seem that would be the logical way to do it. Add on the stimulus checks and most low income people will be better off than they were when working. So it takes out the immediate concern at the low end. Middle-income people that were laid off might not be made whole, but could still get quite a bit. Will be interesting to see what the assistance to small businesses ultimately looks like. Loans are not particularly helpful big-picture - it just sends businesses into huge amounts of debt. Grants could be abused and are far more expensive for the government. So I'm not sure what they landed on there. Small business owners that are shut down are also a loophole in this - they can't get UI but also have no income.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I think we will soon see which party is holding up the recovery bill...

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The tweeter fact-checked herself, in fairness to senators and to avoid "fake news"...

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I would of thought they would of been smart enough to tie this directly to their paychecks or W-2s? Basically, submit 3 paychecks plus your W-2s and we will determine your benefit based on this. Of course, this would screw waiters and bartenders that don't report their cash tips (just thinking immediate example of the top of my head).

When I saw it this morning, I figured specifics like this would be hammered out to avoid people from quitting their jobs. Wouldn't this be tied directly to layoffs and furloughs?

9. Major

Major Member

Without knowing the text of the bill, I suspect the Senators are correct and holding it up a day is the right thing to do. Employees can't lay themselves off, but many are going to be laid off regardess, and there will be no incentive to return to work. And many small businesses are trying to find ways to help out their employees when they have no revenues. If my employees can make more if I lay them off, why wouldn't I since I can't afford to pay them? But then why would my people have reason to come back in a month when I actually need them?

ElPigto likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I'm married and filed jointly in 2018. Combined household income was greater than $99k but less than $150k.

Am I getting a check? If so, how much? In EOY 2018 our house was 2 adults and 2 kids.

If y'all need more info like socials and bank accounts, pls advise.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The virus is coming back in the fall? Lindsey Graham what do you know that we don't?

12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

From what I've seen, they'll offer loans that will be forgiven if the company meets certain provisions, like keeping their workers. It does seem to create a tension between wanting to lay off your workers so they can get unemployment benefits and wanting to keep them so you can get a forgiven loan.

Aside from needing to hire people anew (which is a major pain) when you open, you also need to pay the unemployment tax for those people you laid off.

I assume he still thinks it's basically a flu and has seasonality.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Weird idea, but what if the Government printed "Coronacash" that more or less matched everybody's 2019 AGI to freeze everythin in place? It would have some sort of expiration date based on COVID19 duration but otherwise woud be redeemable for a US dollar at that point.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So GM is not employing anybody?

Or Trump?

Both have claimed Bankruptcy.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's generally accepted, I think, that this is so widespread now that it will be endemic in humans. So yeah, if it calms down in the summer, a lot of scientists expect it to roar back in the fall. Maybe I'm missing something about what was said.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Look like 3,400

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Where are you getting the specifics of McConnells bill?

And Pelosi's as well?

Not doubting you I just can't find specifics besides what some are tweeting out.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those sources are let's say not above reproach.

They are Fox news who is getting the info from republican sources and the other is an opinion piece.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

From what I understand in your scenario you would get $1200 per adult and $500 per child. If you make $150000 in combined income, you get the full amount so $3400 in total.

Hakeemtheking likes this.