1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Post the best ones.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i also vote panic attack. If you can get a couch, that would help relieve stress.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  3. Miracle

Miracle Member

The Italian healthcare system has already been overwhelmed. The situation in the Lombardy region is similar to and will be worse than the situation in the Huhei province in China. Italy's testing capability has reached the limit so the actual infected cases is more than the official confirmed number. Hospitals in Lombardy are already enacting "battlefield triage", where the doctors opt to save only the people that have higher chances to survive. That was why the numbers showed that over 80% of the deaths were over-70s and 99% of the deceased had preexisting medical conditions.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, sorry to hear that, the ****ing time needed for results is bullshit. Hope everything is okay!

BaselineFade likes this.
  5. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

This theory just collapsed in New York, New Rochelle , and then they needed this message from spiritual leader.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

my conspiracy theory:
    maybe the US doesn't want to test everyone quickly because they are afraid of the truth....truth being an insane number people already have it.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I hope you're right and I'd be interested to see that view of the data.

I'm not panicking but I'm concerned our government and citizens haven't been taking greater care with respect to this situation. I even worry some of my immediate family is being a bit careless with their health. I already work from home so those recent changes haven't phased me but we should have been a bit more urgent in shutting some things down and initiating social distancing.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I only go to HEB before 8 or after 10 because it's normally ridiculous anyway and I get really irritated by people playing on their phones in front of what I want / giant blue carts blocking what I want / really just people in general at the grocery store. If I can't go in that time frame I'm definitely not going now.

Didn't go in but went for a walk the other day and ended up walking over to Kroger's around 3 just to see if they were busy... parking lot was maybe a quarter full.

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I don't know. What gives you the sense we're testing at a higher rate? I'd be interested to hear more about that. Recent news seems to suggest we're not testing enough. Are we testing more than other countries?

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hope everything is going better, really sorry to hear this. Also... That Dr back from Spain Wtf..

11. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

This is so sad , when u can't protect generation who build the country, it is F****** unimaginable when doctors have to chose who LIVES and who DIES, but older people must receive the best health care , they already paid there dues . We must stay home in quarantine so these folks will receive the best care we can provide for them.

JeeberD, BaselineFade, Kim and 5 others like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Almost 99% of the Italian deaths are coming from the north
    The north is rich and has a much higher healthcare than the south and the centre.

Quarantine was enforced in the whole of Italy on 9-10 March and in MANY places it was not respected. Like Bari and Napoli.

The average incubation period is 5- 7 days

The average time of hospitalisation is 4 days after the first symptom. => 9 - 11 days.

The average time of death is 4 days after hospitalisation => 13-15 days after infection.

Today just became 21 March. 11 days after the "quarantine"

From now on the rest of Italy is going to be hit and overwhelmed with even higher death rate.

There is no point of asking for god's mercy now.

What we are doing now, everyone and everywhere is for 15 days in the future.

What happens today is the result of 15 days ago.

#3392 malakas, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    jcf, Hakeemtheking, Yung-T and 3 others like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why are people so damn stupid? The lack of common sense is nauseating. All those ignorant idiots need a beach beatdown. Stupidity on this level at a time like this should not be tolerated.

jcf, B-Bob, Yung-T and 4 others like this.
  14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

That would require more people on the beach. :confused:

B-Bob likes this.
  15. B-Bob

Thanks for sharing all that. And take good care. The lack of testing is going to be a big part when history tells this story in America.

16. B-Bob

Can some of you more medically-minded/trained people help me out with a question?

Here's what I don't get: if 30-60% of infected people are asymptomatic but also shedding virus, how does that work? I thought that viruses propagated by taking over cells and using them as little virus factories, eventually destroying or compromising those cells, making the host sick. So, how does a person become a virus factory with no symptoms??

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

well they need to be hit in the back of the head with a book on improving common sense followed by slaps of the face with informational pamphlets on Covid-19

U feel the need to go to the beach for what? Because you’re too dumb and selfish to stay at home? The little kids won’t know any better, but the adults? Smh...

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's possible. But, as the saying goes:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Sajan, AroundTheWorld and Kim like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Related: if I am confirmed to be an asymptomatic virus factory, how can I monetize that?

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It's a bit of a messy topic and still being studied but my personal thoughts and from reading is that the nasal cavities/throat area produce a response and/or carry it from upper respiratory response (virus is looking to reach lower lungs to get higher attachment etc but early on as soon as throat/nose/upper airway it's able to start shedding - hence like sore throat would be immune response, for some people the immune response is so low they don't show a lot - https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-most-contagious-before-during-first-week-symptoms

Like if it stays in nose/throat and doesn't become full on into deep lungs or you don't get a 2ndary infection ie some bacterial pneumonia/viral pneumonia from this etc and if you can keep it out of reaching deep into lungs and keep the virus impact low, because it's already shedding nose/throat/upper airway etc it might be possible to have a better chance etc and little/no symptoms - since the body is learning how immune system should respond.

The thought is that as you age you kind of aspirate on saliva that goes down throat while sleeping/even swallowing changes with age so this might allow an easier pathway for the virus to reach, which unfortunately is its ideal spot the virus wants - being the lower lungs for more attachment sites.

To add, the only other easy example I can think of that starts shedding with no symptoms is polio - obviously different virus but iirc like 3 days no symptoms but full on contagious

@B-Bob I edited to make it a bit clearer, but I think basically if a person can avoid it reaching lungs they might mistake this for cold/even allergies if you don't get to the heavy dry cough stage/trouble breathing/and light to no fever.

I am starting to think if you get lucky get a small immune response and manage to keep it in nose/throat so immune system is trying it might help get a lot better response in case it does reach lower lungs.

One other thing interesting was discussion that if you're exposed to a ton of the virus from new sources (so not 2 strain idea) but more people - so think Dr's working that get sick, it might impact immune response due to the immune system being fully tested and Dr's/caregivers being overwhelmed by too many patients - this was thought, like basically immune/body recovering and then gets overwhelmed from too much.

The link attached though was interesting with how much of the virus can possibly be produced in early stages.

#3400 CCity Zero, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020