1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hope your fam gets the care they need. More of us will be in your boat, sooner or later.

Sorry if posted already, but here's an interesting overview of some research into how many people are probably asymptomatic carriers, shedding virus unknowingly.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41...fRbPB-b-xciFJ8oUhM2hZxO7_8fjjZUpLk0qBvqJDqcw4

Looks like it may be anywhere from 30-50%, with one study suggesting it's as high as 60%.

On the one hand, that's great news in that 1/3 of people will barely get even a sniffle, but the terrible news is that it's really hard to stop an epidemic when that many people (1 in 3 or more) don't even have a clue they might be sick, but are still very contagious. :(

2. omgTHEpotential

I hate exaggerations, so believe me when I say this, you're Thomas Edison of our time.

rimrocker, arkoe, CCity Zero and 3 others like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah the only reason he got the test was because he had been to someones house on 3/14 that has tested positive and he passed out and they called an ambulance for him. The kicker is no one else around him has been tested and not only that but have to wait 3 days to even know if positive.

Definitely sounds like fiasco thankfully he is ok so far and has been released waiting results. We shall see

If you are listening superman save us[​IMG]

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Healthcare workers and firefighters are putting out the call for protective gear like masks and eye protection. In some places they are making their own. I’m texted a friend who works at a hardware store if they have any of that stuff left and she hasn’t gotten back. I’m guessing they don’t and she’s either tired of being asked or feels bad telling me they dont have any

Mazulis and malakas like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I try using a napkin to bust thru all the door,and before my shift I wipe everything down. People are really disgusting and inconsiderate. They will try to get you sick because they are sick.

So this stuff is active in the air for 3 hours and then lives 3-4 days on floor or on objects. A n95 mask is necessary and to keep it clean cover your mask with another protective thin layer perhaps a cheaper surgical mask or just add something that you can dispose.

Another thing, leave your shoes outside. Don't step inside your house with them especially if you have kids.

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and Jontro like this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nook likes this.
  8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Felt awful in the morning. I woke up initially feeling fine, then 30 min later, suddenly had trouble breathing and I had a high heart rate (150bpm)

Soon as I went to hospital, they did the EKG and other chest scans, put some medicine in via IV, heart rate ending up at 90 before they let me go. Still felt hella tired/inability to rouse

They said my blood work and tests were good and had nothing to worry about. Checked my blood pressure and it was far lower than normal. Mine is usually 133/85 range. Before I left, it was around 111/75. Felt really tired after leaving (not sure if it was meds/lower blood pressure), ate some nice food when I arrived and I'm starting to feel better again/more normal.

Anyways, I asked them if they can test me for the corona and they stated I don't have enough symptoms (no couch, no fever, ect) to indicate that there is for a test to be considered.

Should I be concerned here? Was it really a anxiety/panic attack they have been trying to mention? I've only had this once before and it was due to dealing with a bad injury that couldn't let me sleep at all. Maybe it was another panic/anxiety attack, but I wish I could really take a test to rule out anything else especially the virus.

malakas and IBTL like this.
  9. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

I’m glad I was doing some drywall work before this began and I have a pack of masks in my garage. I have a big 3m respirator too, but it might be overkill.

10. shorerider

shorerider Member

Sounds like a panic attack to me. They come out of the blue and can hit like a sledgehammer. Had my share of them. They tend to surface when you are trying to suppress stress. And given the current climate, it's understandable that stress is present in no small amounts.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wanna see somebody walking through the grocery store with a scuba setup with oxygen tank.

Mazulis and backwardhead like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

You should get the test im surprised they wouldnt give you one. This lack of testing is a joke

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I'm thinking so too. I'm sure the low blood pressure when they released me at the end was causing the tired/slightly dizzy symptoms after along with any other medications they put in me to calm myself/heart rate down. Feeling much better now thankfully.

It was awful though, in the ER my heart was beating so fast and I was trying my best to breathe properly and my hands felt like they were frozen/shakey barely able to move. Scary stuff, I'm 25 years old, I'm in good health pretty much all around the board, and was one of the worst things I've ever experienced in a hospital bed for my lifetime.

malakas and Jontro like this.
  14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Gotta hit up the hood and dollar stores.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Gotta hit up the hood and dollar stores.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

monitor yourself at12h after you were treated,then 24h, just curious did you eat fish, salty food yesterday?

17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Ate oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast. Ate salmon for lunch. And had a salty pasta bowl that I ate for dinner too

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What a day.

My whole family has had a head cold for a week.

As I've posted before, an imbicile of a doctor that works with my wife just got back from Spain and is still doing surgery and seeing patients as far as I know. She last worked with him Sunday.

We're still getting over these colds, but as of Tuesday, my son has developed a decent limp. It's gotten worse. Last night, he woke up several times, which he doesn't do. This morning when he woke up, he had a 101 fever. He's had a cough for two days, albeit, slightly wet. He's had chills today.

So my wife takes him to his PCP and tells them the story. They do a flu swab. We won't know until tomorrow for that. Not sure where we're going if that's negative. I'm waiting for tamiflu at the pharmacy now.

She also sent him to the ER for his hip. Septic hip vs. synovitis or myositis. All labs point to myositis, but we're going to keep a close eye on him and call Ortho tomorrow. They may want to do a needle aspiration on his hip to be sure.

If his flu is negative, I'm going to raise holy hell. I may demand either my son is tested or I want the doctor tested and I want his results. I will also start calling newspapers and national departments.

If my son has this, I want that guys license. Highly unlikely that he does, but we only have one positive case in my immediate area, so it'd be pretty trackable. My wife and I both work with immunocompromised patients, to boot. My chest has been a little tight from anxiety for a lot of the day, and I'm one of the more easy going people you will meet.

What a day. Never thought I'd be rooting for my 2 year old to have the flu.

Stay safe all.

JeeberD, ArtV, pahiyas and 7 others like this.
  19. Exiled

Exiled Member

ask for a blood test from a walk in clinic for thyroid function, use regular non iodine salt ,avoid fish, and multivitamin for the time being

CCity Zero, OmegaSupreme and Jontro like this.
  20. shorerider

shorerider Member

Yup - they are not fun. But rest assured they are not harmful. The rapid heartbeat you speak of is tachycardia and can take a life of its own. 150 is nothing. I developed a condition called atrial fibrillation and my heart rate would bounce to 230+ for hours. Talk about shortness of breath. Other develop a severe form of rapid heartbeat that goes so high (250+) they go unconscious. Relax - yours was nowhere near that. You might feel exhausted for the next day or so - sustained high heart rate can be like running a marathon from your heart's perspective. Just chill out and binge on some Netflix.