1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Something I've been thinking about is if culture will play a role in the damage done. Specifically as it relates to Collectivism vs. Individualism.

If you know anything about the Rosewood community. They were a group of immigrant miners who Malcolm Gladwell writes about in Outliers I think.

Anyway, what made the Roseto community unique was that they never got sick. Studies were done, it wasn't nature and it wasn't lifestyle. The only thing it could be attributed to was the close physical and emotional proximity that the entire community lived in. Their social capital protected them.

This checks out with regards to our nervous systems. Those who have closer reciprocal emotional bonds with others tend to heal faster and suffer fewer autoimmune problems. This get's talked about a little in "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" by Robert Sapolsky.

My point is I wonder if the communities with higher social capital will suffer less than those with lower social capital. Something to watch.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. Hoping the best for your family. Keep us posted if you feel comfortable in doing so.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

112 cases in the Houston area now.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yikes! I haven't been to the grocery store in 8 days so I assume I'm just kinda boned. I just got a chest freezer (today!) and was hoping to put some frozen food in there ASAP!

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This will probably be NYC in about 2 weeks at the rate we're going. There are already doctors in NYC saying the ICUs and ERs are getting packed, and of course, they're running out of equipment.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Uh nah bro, not for this one.

Italy and Spain are great examples of countries that have socialization and community embedded to the core of its people, more then anywhere else in the world, they are getting HAMMERED, this virus doesn't care.

backwardhead and Jontro like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That is pretty terrifying and an awful shame. Only China was worst at this point.

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

11. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

BaselineFade, Nook and Rodman23 like this.
  12. omgTHEpotential

Instead of comparing USA to separate European countries, it should be compared to the whole Europe, and every US state to a country in Europe. I think that would be more fair.

13. dc rock

I've always hated shopping with large crowds of pushy people, pandemic or not. I'm trying HEB curbside now but I worry they're going to screw it up. We'll see!

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure our testing is happening at a much higher pace and is skewed by population differences.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Have you scheduled it? Sugar Land location is 5 days out apparently.

16. dc rock

Yes, I have it scheduled for Tuesday.

gucci888 likes this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If that's the case, then perhaps everyone in public should be wearing a mask. Not a N95, but a mask that can block their cough and sneeze.

CCity Zero likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not that conclusive. The population here is larger and we also haven't had as many tests done per capita, so there's no telling how bad we're facing it yet other than NYC is starting to get bad in the hospitals.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

Belgium needs to stop all flights to and from Spain, Italy and probably the UK and Netherlands.
    Try to bring more attention to this in your social media so the press picks it up and puts pressure on your government.
    Otherwise there is no point.

There are even now as we speak CRUISE SHIPS full of corona patients off loading them in Marseilles.
    People are crazy and stupid to go in a cruise at this point..

We have closed every airbnb and hotel so if any european pandemic refugee want to come here there is only a hotel per city and if he breaks the mandatory 14 days quarantine the hotel itself will report him to the police.

Arrivals from the UK no matter the nationality, are treated as outright toxic, and they get swabbed as soon as they step a foot in the airport and then give their address where the police is going to keep checking up on them.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Well that's exactly what China and South Korea advocated.
    They made studies on this, but because masks are impossible to find the media and scientists in Europe are falsely telling people that masks offer no protection and it's pointless to wear them.
    It is not pointless, they offer 5 times more protection than wearing nothing.