1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Soup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

The best Sunday morning hangover soup.

I want your or you mom's recipe.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is as good a place to ask as any...

How can I make my own cream of chicken? The canned stuff is full of crap. I'd like to make my own - and I'd like it to be relatively simple.

I found something online that was basically heavy whipping cream + broth + spices but it wasn't any good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

He goes heavy on dill which I dont recommend.

4. Buck Turgidson

Learn how to make a proper chicken broth. Then learn how to make a roux. Then mix them together (slowly). Add dairy if you want to make a gravy.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

ROCKSS likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don’t want to mess with perfection. And if my wife cracked the code I would be fat then clutchfaps would cry

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Missed this around but great thread...

I am down for most soups - not a fan of vegetable soup or stew but I like these:

gumbo
    chilli (had some at McAlister's today - can have beans or not)
    new england clam chowder
    lobster bisque
    egg drop soup

As someone else said, I could eat soup every day if it is cold outside.

9. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It made me think of Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas as the base concept and then adjusted from there.

Description
    A creamy blend of poblano peppers with tender chicken, sour cream, Great Northern beans, onions and roasted corn. Pop it in the microwave and eat in less than 4 minutes!

#89 Mango, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  10. SuraGotMadHops

I am mainly about asian soups - pho, hot & sour, egg drop. But I also like a nice homemade chicken noodle (with some tomato in the broth to make it red, old school), chili (with beans, I acknowledge that makes it non-Texas chili but so what), and broccoli cheddar.

11. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

We spent thanksgiving in the PNW, and instead of the traditional turkey, we did prime rib and Dungeness crab. I had also bought about 50 oysters that I shucked myself. They were super (overly) briny, so I made an oyster chowder after having a few raw ones. Holy cow! My favorite dish of the meal. It was thanksgiving, so I didn’t make it healthy. Plenty of butter and heavy cream.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Seriously bro, just look at this, and think about how easy it would be to make simple and healthy

[​IMG]

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few days ago I used the leftover Turkey and made some stew. I first took the bones and simmered then for about an hour to get as much flavor out of them. Took the bones out and then added carrots and potatoes, more salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, sage, thyme and onions. Simmered for half an hour, then added the leftover Turkey meat, and celery. It tasted fatty and rich so put in some rice vinegar and cooked for another half hour. Ended up great.

comrade, gifford1967, Qan and 2 others like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where are the tortilla soup recipes? This thread is 6 years old!

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Just made some lentil soup/dal ... should've put more heat into it, but no worries - still tastes good. I just wish it would get and stay in the 30s and 40s around here. Of course now we're going to get icemageddon now that I wished that.

*scared of February*

17. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If I was working on a Copycat of the H‑E‑B Green Chili Chicken Soup, I would make a batch of Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas (without tortillas) that used mostly the same Main Ingredients (less Northern Beans) as the Soup and have a container or two of the HEB Soup to compare against.

Main Ingredients
    Water
    Light Cream
    Poblano Peppers
    Chicken
    Rice Starch
    Salt
    Sour Cream
    Great Northern Beans
    Onions

2% or Less
    Roasted Corn
    Corn Starch
    Pecorino Romano
    Chicken Base * (Several Components Listed)
    Butter
    White Wine
    Lime Juice
    Garlic
    Jalapeno Peppers
    Natural Hickory Smoke Concentrate
    Sodium Citrate
    Yeast Extract
    Smoked Paprika
    Nisin Preparation
    Spices

Strain both the HEB soup and the Homemade Chicken Enchiladas to remove the solids (Chicken, Poblano Peppers, Onions, Beans, Corn, Jalapeno Peppers, Pecorino Romano?) so the focus can be on duplicating the liquid part of the soup.

In the 2% or Less section, Sodium Citrate and Nisin Preparation are some type of food additives or food preservatives that I would try to skip since an extended shelf life wouldn't be a goal for home use.

Try skipping including roasted corn for now. I don't know if the Pecorino Romano is a solid in the HEB soup, so TBD on whether to include it.

That leaves

Corn Starch
    Pecorino Romano (Maybe)
    Chicken Base * (Several Components Listed)
    Butter
    White Wine
    Lime Juice
    Garlic
    Jalapeno Peppers
    Natural Hickory Smoke Concentrate
    Yeast Extract
    Smoked Paprika
    Spices

to include to achieve the goal of duplicating the HEB Soup. If they ordered the list in the 2% or Less section with the largest quantities listed first, then I would follow suit and follow a Top Down order on adding ingredients.

Rice Starch (Main Ingredients) and Corn Starch (2% or Less) might be used mainly for thickening, so it will be a judgement call on how much to include versus water added.

Jalapeno Peppers will have been separated when the HEB Soup was strained, so it should be easy to determine how much to include in the Copycat version.

Once the liquid part of the Copycat has been accomplished, decide on the amounts of Chicken, Poblano Peppers, Beans, Roasted Corn to add in to complete the Soup. Maybe use the same proportions that HEB used or roll your own version with the proportions that you prefer.

Good Luck.

arkoe likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Neither of us felt like cooking last night, so I tried something new with what I had.

1 jar Rao's tomato sauce (I used the Arrabiata)
    Some half & half (not much, just enough to get the color and texture right)
    a few leaves of fresh basil

Toasted some bread cubes in the oven. Grilled cheese would be killer with this.

Heat up, blend until smooth = spicy tomato basil soup

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Xerobull likes this.
  20. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Xerobull likes this.