1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anybody trying new recipes during this pandemic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by donkeypunch, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Bump:

Whipped this up last night, it is delicious and stupid fast and easy even for a non-cook to cook. Only alterations I made were I threw in a bay leaf with the onions, used Tony C's instead of salt, after serving added some extra Sriracha/cilantro/lime to taste, and served it with white rice (not necessary, would be fine as just a soup). Will make again, next time might throw in some lump crab to be extra fancy. Make this for your significant other, reap benefits.

#impressyerladytho (hat tip @B-Bob)

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/brazilian-shrimp-stew-moqueca-de/

#41 Buck Turgidson, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Blake and B-Bob like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

What's the problem? It's only one drink.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Looks good. I need a substitute for coconut milk though, that gives me the runs. I wonder if almond milk would work?

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've made that. Maybe even that exact same recipe. It's very, very good.

Buck Turgidson and Blake like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

To the internet!

Full question

Dear Team Nigella, I started making the recipes from Nigella Express and I want to make the Red Prawn and Mango Curry (page 15). However, I really don't like the taste of coconut milk. Is there maybe a replacement you can suggest? Thanks!

Our answer

If you don't like the taste of coconut milk (or some people also avoid coconut milk as it has a high fat content) then you could use either soy milk or almond milk as alternatives. However make sure that you use an unsweetened, unflavoured version of these milks.

One of the drawbacks of using soy or almond milk as a substitute is that they have a slightly thinner consistency than coconut milk. In the Red Prawn and Mango Curry it probably won't matter too much as the sauce in the curry is fairly thin anyway. However if you would like to thicken it slightly then whisk 1 teaspoon of cornflour (cornstarch) into the milk before you add it to the curry and stir the sauce as it comes up to the boil.

https://www.nigella.com/ask/replacement-for-coconut-milk-in-curry

In this recipe I wouldn't worry about it being too thin, it's a soup.

6. body slam

body slam Member

I've mastered grandma's sweet rice. Took several tries but I figured it out.

7. Buck Turgidson