1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Nov 20, 2017.

1. AkeemTheDreem86

Dangmang, that sounds like something I could actually handle in the kitchen! When you say "blend", do you mean the half&half?

2. comrade

comrade Member

I used the leftover turkey carcass to make a stock and then a turkey gumbo. I did something a little non-traditional though and added leeks to the gumbo this year, they were from a friend's garden and it was honestly delicious.

Using the leftover holiday ham bone and ham scraps I made a large pot of split pea soup.

I live for soup season.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Poured whole jar of Rao's into the pot
    Turned on heat
    Added a bit of dairy (could be cream, half/half, creme fraiche, whole milk, soy, whatever) At this point if you want you can add some shredded italain-type cheese, let it melt in the soup, and then blend the **** out of it in a minute
    Heated it up a bit
    Added some fresh basil leaves (not necessary, but I like basil)

I used a immersion blender (look it up) in the pot it was heating it in, you could pour it into a blender-blender (I assume you have a blender) and then pour it back into the pot

Blend the **** out of it until it's the consistency you like. Then pour it back in the sauce pan you just used to warm it up again for a bit.

Garnish with shredded parm, basil, red pepper flakes, crunchy bread croutons (I did these in the oven while everything else was happening, good toasted bread serves the same purpose), whatever.

Profit.

This literally takes about 20 minutes and zero effort.

4. Buck Turgidson

Leeks are totally underrated as a soup additive or roasted veggie additive to a meat dish

5. Buck Turgidson

Also I will say: the Rao's brand of jarred sauce is the only one you should buy

heypartner likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Can you explain this popping up in my email today???

upload_2023-12-3_11-4-44.png

ROCKSS and Mango like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Your algorithms ain't wrong.

ROCKSS and Mango like this.
  8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

As I had expected about Rao's being roughly 2 X the price of other brands.

If you want to run with
    Buck Turgidson, bring a Fat Wallet or else stay on the Porch.

ROCKSS, Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Please give proper attribution to the source/sauce of your post.

10. Buck Turgidson

Lol, yall can stay in the yard.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I always get it from Sam's when I'm in a spaghetti kind of mood. You can get a 2-pack of their 22 oz. marinara there for $10. If you're cost-conscious, note theirs is a 22 oz bottle where most grocery stores offer a 24 oz. (or larger) by comparison, but Sam's is still usually cheaper.

12. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, it's cheaper to make your own but I always keep a jar of that around for impromptu stuff like pizzas, chicken/eggplant parm, lasagna, etc

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Had some bockwurst and sauerkraut sitting in the fridge so tried an experiment.

Cut up the sausage and browned it and took it out of the pan. Fried up some onions in the fat from the sausage with butter and garlic. Put those along with the fat and butter into a pot with water and got it to a boil. Added new potatoes and carrots along with salt, pepper, rosemary and parsley and cooked them for about half an hour. Then added back the sausage and some celery and simmered it for 15 minutes. Then added in sauerkraut and simmered for another 15 minutes.

It’s ok but the sauerkraut flavor really dominates. Was hoping to balance it out with the fattyness of the sausage and butter but the sausage might be too lean and not enough butter. Might work better with a fatty cut of pork and maybe just a little added sweetness like apple.

ROCKSS likes this.
  14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Pasta e Fagioli

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!