1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I’d love to keep Clowney...but if we can trade him and a pick and get Williams, I think we need to do it. I’d rather give up a little bit more and get a stud than get pennies on the dollar (read: mid round pick that we’ll more likely than not botch)

conquistador#11 likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not sure if I've typed this here or not, but O'Brien has effectively created a Leveon Bell situation out of nothing, essentially. We should have paid the guy or traded him at draft time.

This front office is now about to reap what it's sown.

Hopefully, Cal is more reasonable than his father and this is Obrien's last year here.

I kind of think the writing is on the wall, after this sh!tshow.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From @NFLTotalAccess: There’s no guarantee Jadeveon Clowney will be back with the #Texans or some other team by Week 1. He’s told several people he‘s not afraid to miss games as he sorts out his future and makes sure he holds the leverage in the meantime by not signing the tag. pic.twitter.com/nbAfOE4H44

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) August 28, 2019

Silent_Bob likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Obviously take with a major grain of salt.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, keep him the year and franchise him again.

Maybe the horse will learn to sing and we'll hire a real GM to not **** everything up again.

As someone who is somewhat in favor of trading Clowney, I can't imagine being less excited about trading Clowney.

#886 Ottomaton, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. Whenitsover

Whenitsover Member

The worst part of all of this? The team and head honchos on Kirby have absolutely no idea what they are doing wrong. I've mentioned before how inept they are as a leadership group and it runs from the top to the bottom.

It is no secret is circles around town that their arrogance is one of the main culprits of their failure. The problem is that they are clueless and arrogant at the same time and always will be until the team is out of the hands of the McNair family.

That family has passed their welcome. They brought us a franchise and have done everything in their power to hold it back. Its to the point where they literally brought in someone to be the spiritual leader of the team in an effort to get more of "God's will on our side". This is a real quote from someone in the McNair family.

Be forewarned, stop investing in this product. There will not be changed unless they are forced to do so or are forced out of town, which will take a lot for multi billionaires.

Nook and BigShasta like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Idk if BoBs ego will allow clowney to ever play with the Texans ever again. Probably is willing to trade our former numero uno pick for cheap rather than let him play for us.

#888 DatRocketFan, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    UTSA2step and Gray_Jay like this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

This is insane. The teams that need a 4-3 DE don't have starting tackles to give, and the teams that have starting tackles to give---cough, Washington, cough---don't need an edge rusher. Or can't afford him in 2020-21. So break the deal up into two parts.

Or mend fences with JD, give the LT keys to Rod Johnson, and revisit this mess next year.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

So Clowney will likely save the Texans from themselves. Makes sense is this ridiculous situation. Hope he doesn’t realize he’s further depressing his market and limiting his overall earnings potential.

Pancakes also needs to realize that there’s no LT behind that door no matter how many times Billy tells him there is.

12. studogg

I hope everyone’s ready. Billy says it’s football time in Houston

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This time last year, the two best defensive players, bar none, were sitting at home. One waiting on a new contract, the other waiting to be dealt as it was clear he wasn’t going to play for his current team. This year, the best RB in the league is in Cabo with another top 5 RB at home. Oh and there’s a top 5 LT who has vowed to never play for his team again.

Don’t get me wrong, the Texans could’ve and should’ve handled this better. But the sky isn’t falling (not yet at least), this happens every single year.

14. studogg

Isolated events happen to anyone, any team, any coach, any gm. A successive pattern of negative events goes well beyond circumstance.

Nook, IBTL and macho GRANDE like this.
  15. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

God I hate that song

Nook likes this.
  16. htownbball

htownbball Member

So why didn't we trade him when it was clear we weren't going to sign him long term? Why didn't we have several standing deals in place that we could have moved forward with when we couldn't sign him? I just don't understand what the Texans are trying to accomplish here. Did they really think Clowney was going to be happy on a franchise deal?

UTSA2step and macho GRANDE like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. studogg

Oh it’s hot garbage on a steaming plate for fans to dig into

Nook and macho GRANDE like this.