1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Isn't he their second best defensive player? If not him, who? A team's second best defensive player, on a 7th overall by DVOA ranked defense, is pretty important, right?

Agree on burning the offices at NRG Park to ashes and starting over.

ReturnOfTheMac and Silent_Bob like this.
  2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney wants to be here and the dolphins don’t want to give up Tunsil.

It’s called forcing something that isn’t there.

Franchise Clowney.

Trade for Williams if you can

And try to win.

3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

And then some. Are the Dolphins actually stupid enough to trade a good LT on a rookie deal----"Leader of our offensive line", I've read Miami people describe him as----for a good edge rusher/DE, and elite run stopper, that they're going to have to back the Brinks truck up for next year? Yay Texans if so.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

From what I understand, the #Texans like Dolphins RB Kenyan Drake but believe he, like OT Laremy Tunsil, is not available.

It’ll be interesting to see what package of players and picks Bill O’Brien might include in a Clowney trade to try and get Tunsil in a deal

— Aaron Reiss (@aaronjreiss) August 28, 2019

Texans trading Clowney AFTER July 15th deadline would be latest major mistake by their "front office".

-Leapfrogged by Eagles for A. Dillard after telegraphing taking an OT in Draft
    -Caserio GM pursuit fiasco
    -Overpay for Duke Johnson

And now pennies on the Clowney $.

— Ross Tucker (@RossTuckerNFL) August 28, 2019

5. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Situations like this you’d wish for a GM similar to Morey at the helm. We somehow have BOB unfortunately.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just wonder if Bill ever even liked Clowney. I don't get why they didn't lock him in before preseason. I mean, he was one of our best players, and one of the best in the league. They could have signed him early and not been so dang stubborn.

This whole mess was avoidable, and now it just makes me nervous, especially with them committing to Scarlett now. Lord help us if JJ has a breakdown this year. If we didn't have JJ they probably would have signed Clowney already. I just feel we will get screwed in any kind of trade. It just seems like we usually do.

#866 deb4rockets, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In Clowney's rookie year there were constant reports that he wasn't working hard enough. But he had a knee injury and needed microfacture

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney needs to sign on with Watson’s agent to create a better situation with himself and the Texans.

Watson is about to become the highest paid QB in the league(his agent below on Dak)

9. conquistador#11

He's a wrecking ball. Baldinger had him as his best "chaos maker" just last season.
    Since he's been healthy, 3 seasons.. He has 10 more TFLs than Mack and 7 less QB hits than Mack. To get anything less than a pro bowler in return or less than a 1st round pick would be shameful, especially since Clowney isn't one of these malcontents like Brown.

The only thing I can think of that would bother B.O.B is that when Clowney was asked back in 2016 if he could play with his hand down, Clowney scoffed at the idea. We all know how B.O.B gets when people scoff at the idea of playing special teams. Yet Clowney and Agent want that DE money and not linebacker tender.
    There is also the incident of releasing medical info. Also, getting penalties from the sidelines but some coaches need their punter to ask for challenges. A lot of boneheaded moves happen on our sidelines.

It's now been 48 hours past the 48 hours deadline.
    the Raiders traded Mack on Sept 1? That's 4 days from now.

UTSA2step and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Right people freaking out and understandably why. But remember both Mack and Donald were sitting at home this time last year.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Does Clowney want to go to WSH? We know the Skins don’t want to give up Trent Williams. Sounds like it’s the same situation really.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

What he might objectively be worth - and what we think he should be worth - are mostly irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what teams interested in him think he's worth and are willing to pay.

If the Texans floated Clowney near the draft & weren't offered a deal close to what Seattle got for Clark, that tells you his value around the league might not be what we think it should be.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How many offsides penalties?

14. htownbball

htownbball Member

About as many mistakes as BoB has made this offseason. Call it even. Give him his money.

UTSA2step, Silent_Bob and deb4rockets like this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

At this point I think it's best to wait till after roster cuts this weekend before doing anything.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I wonder if either sides have heard of something called a smartphone - lots of ways to communicate with other parties on those things.

There are also things called face to face meetings and conference rooms.

Nah... feelings are better.

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

I like your thinking!!! I WISH I COULD GET THIS TO CLOWNEY......It will definitely throw a wrench in O'B's plans

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

we have an incompetent buffoon as our GM who also happens to be an incompetent coach. I have no confidence in any good outcome for the Texans in this latest saga. BoB is currently destroying the franchise and wasting away Watt, Watson, and Hopkins prime

Nook, mikol13, whag00 and 4 others like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member