1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Real Sad Story of Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Poor parts of most American cities and towns are terrible. Rich parts are great. Baltimore is no exception.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

No. It is an exception. I have family in poor rural areas through out the south. None of the towns my relatives live in are anything like Baltimore.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think Europeans have a problem with poor single mothers.

But Europe is like Soviet Russia lite (w/o the foreign hacking), so obviously they got a tight grip on state media while dishing out the welfares.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem isn't fixable the way you think it is. It's not fixable because people like you declare that the problem lies with the person and their culture - and it's up to them to fix it. But if you are born into darkness and are never exposed to light how are you supposed to know what light even is???

The problem started with slavery. There isn't anything to discuss. And if you want to break that cycle, and save this country a ton of money - you have to invest in the children to break that chain.

For every child whose life is shifted away from crime and into being a productive member of society, millions of dollars are potentially added in value. Both in safed tax dollars, increased tax revenue, and in preventing damage to others.

Yet folks like yourself rail against things that actually have impact and benefit our country in so many way. You feel these children should stop whining and pick themselves up by the bootstraps.

5. adoo

adoo Member

u obviously haven't been to Baltimore, in particular the neighborhoods around

• Camden Yard, where the Orioles play
    • Johns Hopkins U

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. adoo

adoo Member

this Branco cartoon is ignorant, ignorant that
    • Trump’s HUD secretary, Ben Carson, not born nor raised in Baltimore, has lived in Baltimore's upscale Johns Hopkins U neighborhood, also in Cummings district, or over 30 years, still lives there
    • An African American can be a World-nenowned neurourgeon, which was what Ben Carson had been for over 30 years
    • Baltimore's income per household is ~ $51K, w~ 45% home ownership, the 2nd highest among all the black-dominated cities in the US, as per the Baltimore Sun
    Mojo is parroting this ignorant cartoon

#126 adoo, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't disagree with how thre problem started. Again for the umpteenth freakin time.

The victim has to take steps to move forward. It maybe unfair but it has to happen.

The government can't fix the problem. So in that sense it doesn't matter how it started

8. adoo

adoo Member

can you say burying head in sand

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You cant go back in time and change the past. Do you understand that. The post i responded to says the problem started with slavery. I agree.

Do you have a magic box to make slavery not have happened?

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How the hell did this thread go 7 pages? Ah **** it I'm heading to work.

justtxyank likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1)So we can all agree the problem started with slavery.
    2)Then the black middle class started emerging and peaking when there were good jobs available that provided a road to the middle class. This was a challenge of course because of redlining and other issues, but it was still the best advantage they ever had.
    3)Then suddenly drugs and crimes started going haywire, fire and trash started leaving black communities to themselves, police crackdowns began, etc.

What I am suggesting is that we skipped a step. Between 2/3 was job loss in the black communities as they were the first to start getting pinched beginning with the early 1970s recession that impacted black communities disproportionately. This was when the snowball started rolling. By 1978 the US was seeing manufacturing jobs disappear, but again, impacting black communities more than whites at first. As we rolled into the 80s the black community had take the brunt of the 70s and it did real damage to the progress being made that was moving blacks into the middle class.

We are seeing things like this happen now with whites in rural America. Factories shutting down leading to poverty leading to crime and drugs. This cycle isn't new or surprising. It was worse for blacks faster because of built in legacy issues that exacerbated the problems, but decades of data tells us the same thing. Job loss/unemployment over sustained periods destroys communities.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tell me what steps a 6 year old must take?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When i talk about broken homes do you think i expect 6 year olds to fix them?

Its not about pulling up by bootstraps. Its about addressing problems from all angles.

People talk about racism as if the country doesn't address racism. The government leads the way on racism. It integrates first, ot passed civil rights legislation, we have federal laws against hate crimes etc etc etc etc

All we focus on is external factors. Internal issues have to be addressed also and liberals act like black people can't do that and can only be dependent upon the government.

#133 pgabriel, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    BruceAndre likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We have to break the mentality of dependence which is a separate issue but in terms of broken homes people respond like its ludicrous to ask black people to help ourselves.

The government and even money can't fix broken homes. Im not even talking about single mothers. There are plenty of single mothers who do well raising kids. One parent can teach kids about education and the value of work.

Its about mentality

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

[​IMG]

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes -- You could not be more correct.

I've often thought: "the revolution that is needed is between everyone's ears."

I'd do an applause gif, but then I just did that. :cool:

pgabriel likes this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

well a idiot could see that.

I agree.

JumpMan likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm sorry, what? Restore the patriarchy in what way?

We have tons of studies that show that when you give women power, finance, independence that society gets better, not worse. Stop blaming women for society's ills when no other country has these problems and blame the system itself. How is a country like Denmark or Sweden more patriarchal than America? They're not. Their poor does well because of their policies, not because women are able to compete in the workforce.

The reason people aren't starting families anymore is because they can't afford to. Not even with two jobs, and when people can't pay bills (Even with this magical welfare that people think exists in this country) people get desperate.

19. adoo

adoo Member

the antidote to the ignorant Branco cartoon parroted by Mojo

[​IMG]

20. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Definitely. Or choose better parents.