1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. CinematicFusion

I get the feeling this year is potentially the last big run as a 100 win team.

Astros I don’t think can afford Cole (33-35 million over 5-6 years) next year and McCullers is questionable with his injury. Nothing is guaranteed after Tommy John surgery.... that includes rookie hopeful Martin.

HUGE question mark with Forest Whitney, have to assume right now he isn’t a type 1-3 starter.... if we are assuming... certainly can’t assume he is an amazing #1 starter next year.
    He has to prove himself... he hasn’t come close to doing that yet at a higher level.

So Astros have Verlander next year as a starter and that’s its.
    Our offense is solid but man we could be terrible next year with pitching.

Am I off base on the future of next year?

Astros organization I’m sure sees this and it’s why we are doing everything possible to get Thor. Have a 1-2 combo will extend our window.

3. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The Stros won't be the prohibitive favorite next year but they're almost certainly going to be a top 4 team. Seems to way too difficult to project everything that could happen over the trade deadline, off-season and next trade deadline.

It wouldn't be a stretch to see them scrounge together as much pitching as the 2017 championship team.

5. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

For me, i just try to think about this year 2019. There will be a lot of questions marks for 2020 but I'm sure the FO has a plan. You don't sign JV, Bregman, Altuve, and give a two year deal to Brantley without trying to contend for a couple of years. Pitching looks bleak at the moment but that can change very quickly

6. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

7. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, too much.

8. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I think come Monday, we are going to see a ton of moves. It seems that non contending teams are trying to use this deadline to prepare for 2020

9. Nook

Nook Member

That is where scouting and track record comes into play. Iglesias is someone I would certainly feel comfortable with if the cost was reasonable. Going to Harris/Iglesias/Pressly/Osuna would LIKELY be dominant in the playoffs.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh maybe but not willing to go there yet. The Astros have Verlander and McCullers bad... Whitley is still to the point of no return... Martin will be dealt or be back at some point. The Astros also do well in free agency and can always move Tucker for a pitcher and sign a cheaper stop gap in the outfield or stay within the system.

What IS clear is the lack of pitching development in the minors to the majors is starting to really impact the big league team. Luhnow has to figure out if it has been bad luck, if it is development or lack of attention. Some of it has been bad luck... Martin getting hurt and Appel being a p***y..., as with Martes and Whitley a lot of their issues have been personality and mechanical.

mikol13, Joshfast and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  11. StroBro17

StroBro17 Member

I’m not so sure I’m so pessimistic. They are very likely to make a trade for someone who has multiple years of control that can be a #2 or #3 on most teams, Miley is a good candidate to return as well at a reasonable cost, Peacock is still around, we still have a long list of kids that could factor in until Lance is ready, and the guys that will fill out the bullpen will be cheaper than the current crew which gives us room to add another good arm that Strom will likely make better. Plus, we will still have one of the best offenses in all of baseball. On top of all of that, the Mariners are in full rebuild, we are clearly better than that other Texas team, the A’s will probably have to cut some payroll as usual and the Angels lay eggs fatter than a 100 lb chicken.

Last thing I’ll say is that the payroll actually cleans up a good bit in 2021 with Yuli, Reddick, Brantley and George (who I hope we resign) coming of the books and younger cheaper options likely taking their place.

12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

13. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

******* IT DO SOMETHING MURRAY!!!

desihooper, EugeneK and jim1961 like this.
  15. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Yankees are about to lose three straight to Boston. I expect them to press hard for an upgrade at pitching

16. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros are discussing Archie Bradley

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Stats look terrible

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

He better be almost free. He has been terrible this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.