1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Can we upgrade from Stassi please?

2. awc713

awc713 Member

This is shaping up to be a brutal market to acquire pitching. Everything is going to cost a ton.

Part of me wants to just let our AAAA arms continue to duke out the back of the rotation starts. I don't think we need to acquire an innings eater solely for that reason. It's just too expensive. I think we can skate by on what we have until the playoffs. That said, although I like Miley, we could really use a legitimate SP3. Slotting Miley to SP4 would be insane, and hell, this is our window. If we could land someone like like Stroman, MadBum, or I hate to say it, Boyd, I think we have to pull the trigger. Will cost us a pretty penny for sure. Probably starts with Tucker, but this is our window.

desihooper likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's only if the buyers are willing to bid against each other.

The sellers HAVE to sell.

The Beard, Nook and No Worries like this.
  4. derp

derp Member

I'd be ok trading Tucker for Stroman or Thor, but definitely not Boyd under any circumstances. Will Smith would have to also be in the Madbum deal for me to consider Tucker.

5. derp

derp Member

The Phillies are probably being agressive to find deals, but they'd be idiots to actually pull off a major deal. They aren't contending this year. Their fall and the Nats raise killed them.

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not gonna happen but,

Astros get:
    SP Zack Greinke
    SP Robbie Ray
    $40M

Snakes get:
    OF Kyle Tucker
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    RHP Jose Urquidy
    IF Abraham Toro

Who says no?

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm waiting for Astros to grab someone like DeSclafani. Guy who flirts with greatness, but isn't consistent.

Nook, awc713 and raining threes like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I could see it that way in a vacuum. But we have to also consider the years to come and we need insurance vs losing Cole next season. I dont want to go into winter HAVING to HAVE a #1/#2. Ever manager in the league will up his price knowing we cant not replace Cole and in addition have no clear #4/#5 for that matter either.

Go ahead and get a solid #2 or better NOW and for next season. We have to do it anyway. Why not have that guy for this years playoffs as well?

BTW, prepare to part with a lot more than Tucker.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I really hope smart GM's fleece the teams that base their post-season chances on just one weekend's worth of results...

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Angels, Rangers, Mets, Reds, Pirates, Padres, and Rockies would all be stupid not to sell. Their seasons are over. And of course the Giants would be dumb not to trade Bumgarner even though they’re not totally out of it yet.

Unfortunately the Diamondbacks are only 2 games out of the Wild Card, so hopefully their FO takes a long term view at their fans’ expense.

Nook likes this.
  12. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

This is the problem with the new trade deadline rules. Too many teams think they are in it. The Giants for example are fools if they think they are going to win a WS this season. They are 50-50 but only 2.5 games out of a WC birth due to a weak ass NL.

They should have actually expanded the August 31 trade deadline to a full trade deadline, with only waiver trades allowed from August 1 to say August 30.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I like the single deadline and I’m fine with it being July 31. Increased parity might be bad for the 2019 Astros but it’s better for the game overall. But I do think teams (and fans) will get smart and be able to sell despite still being close in the standings.

astros123 and Joe Joe like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Looking at the NL standings and the wild card specifically, there are11 teams with wins between 44 and 51. With two months to play, I can not rule out any of the 11 teams. The only NL team completely out of the playoffs is the Marlins.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think you are probably right but I don’t know for sure that you are. If it was me I’d start there and just gauge interest in how much they’d like to just be off that contract. I think reddick is a neutral value so my guess is they could move that pretty easily and get off of about 85 million of that.
    Obviously if they want prospects they have to pay up on the contract, but I’d start with just the idea of clearing up their books for them and see what they say.

16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I do, we would be paying greinke 64 million when he is 36 and 37 which would mean we would we would be paying 128 million for 2 pitchers who are 36 and 37 for the next two years. That is a very dangerous roll of the dice.

we also only need 1 starting pitcher, with peacock coming back and there not being a need for more than 4 starters in the playoffs. no point in getting those 2 starters and basically skimming the top of our minor league talent almost completely

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Kyle Tucker is not being traded.

AznH-TownFan and The Beard like this.
  18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Although Luhnow said he expects Peacock back by mid August, I wouldn't count on anything at this point. He could have setbacks. I hope he comes back though.

eliefor3 and Snake Diggit like this.
  19. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

The Diamondbacks

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If the NL is, as you say, "weak ass" - why would be the Giants be fools for thinking they could possibly make some noise in it?...

Fans are championship or bust. Teams, generally, are not. They're far more practical - they love the extra revenue and understand (far greater than fans) that *anything* can happen in the postseason, which is why they think making the playoffs is better than not making the playoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.