1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

You're my boy, Bags, but what are you so grouchy about? You can bet that this very discussion is taking place right now... by that I mean the Astros are surely discussing internally what Cole will potentially get on the open market and if our payroll can stretch to fit that. Does anyone know exactly what is going to play out? Of course not, but the trade deadline is approaching and with it the opportunity to acquire a cost-controlled starter.

This is what we're all saying, including Nook. Picking apart his exact wording about it feels petty. Jeff Bagwell is in the hall-of-fame. It's all good, homie.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The way Nook phrased it... I just read it wrong. It sounded very authoritative. My bad; no big deal. I stand by the rest, though - Cole and Morton are not equivalent and the Astros losing out on CFM, however it happened, has no bearing on what they might be planning with Cole.

raining threes and eric.81 like this.
  3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I don't disagree with that!

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Based on Luhnow's conversation with the media today, I fully expect him to go hard for a starter. He talked about winning with three pitchers in a 7 game series but I don't get the sense he trust having Wade Miley as that 3rd starter. I could be wrong and i might be seeing something that isn't there. Either way, they need another starter and I think internally they will bring Peacock back to the bullpen based on his comments.

Nook likes this.
  7. CrazyJoeDavola

I had secretly hoped that catcher was near the top of Lunhow's shopping list. Since his hot June start Chirinos has been in a sustained nosedive and Stassi.........well.........

#3 starter, catcher and another reliever please.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

This 3-game series vs. OAK is going to be huge for trade deadline purposes. Granted, we still have (8) games against OAK the rest of the way. We're 6.5 games up on OAK and we'll be in a much better position if we can win 2 of 3. And a much more precarious position if we struggle.

Counter argument is that, with only one true trade deadline, we'll have to ascertain moves regardless how we do this weekend. I think a strong series result will do away with the "need" for trading for an innings eater, though.

9. CrazyJoeDavola

I like a bullpen of Osuna, Pressly, Harris, Peacock, McHugh and PTBNL. If James isn't hurt and stops walking people, even better.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

I love James, I just don't know which James is gonna show up from game to game.

I've been out at the lake with no internet for 5 days and just watched the condensed games...who would you like me to talk **** about next?

11. CrazyJoeDavola

I wonder what Narvaez or McCann (not that one) would cost?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I recommend doubling down on Urquidy.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

James McCann would cost almost nothing, but he might not be better than Stassi. Narvaez would probably cost a 2nd tier prospect and I’d be ok with adding him. For the moment I’m hoping they get Arizona to throw in Avila when they add Greinke or Ray. Avila is lefthanded and would have experience catching both Verlander and Greinke/Ray.

CheezeyBoy22, raining threes and Nook like this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A 2020 controllable catcher with an .830+ OPS would cost almost nothing?

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, a 29 year old catcher with 28% k rate and an 830 ops propped up by a .384 BABIP who was collectively below replacement level over the previous 5 seasons (including -0.5 in 2018) would cost almost nothing.

Nook likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Stros need someone who can go 60/40 with Chirinos, don't need a true starter, just need a vet backup.

JMcann would be awesome. Is he worth a **** behind the plate?

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Take it up with my auto correct. If you really want to criticize me for not correcting the spelling from autocorrect while I am using my I-Phone in a taxi... then we don’t really have anything to discuss.

Morton discussed the situation with the Astros and negotiations at the all star game and his disappointment at the final offer. Further the Astros didn’t even offer him the qualifying offer. Go back and listen to what Morton said... and how rough a day it was for him when he received the Astros final offer.... and how he then turned his attention to the Rays.

Cole and Morton aren’t the same? Really? What gave it away? Why do you think the Astros didn’t offer Charlie Morton 2/30? You don’t think that was because of budgetary reasons?

Yet the Astros magically will out bid the rest of baseball and cough up $200,000,000 to Cole but we’re not comfortable offering the QO to Morton?

I would love to be wrong but it doesn’t seem very likely.... the reality is the Astros, like most teams, have budgetary restraints. The Astros prioritized signing a bat over keeping Morton (and that is fine) but Morton’s money (30) went to Brantley (32).

Crane has said the ownership group will not be paying the tax. That limits the amount available. Maybe he changes his mind and gets the investors to agree... but I wouldn’t count on it.

Either way I think this has been beaten to death.

18. raining threes

This is a basic MLB economic lesson.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  19. Jeremy Williams

With a 4 man rotation in the playoffs, we need 7-8 relievers. That means we need 2-3 PTBNL.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm hoping if they win the World Series, this might change some. I don't think payroll will ever be $200 million but maybe $185 mil to $190 mil. I know that's wishful thinking but who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.