1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Pirates @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Being pissed about a loss in June is fine. Worrying about Bogeymen from Arlington or that a game in June has special significance regarding playoffs is deserving of ridicule.

BigM likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The only plausible b****ing that carries some credence is the one where the Luhnow farm has yet to be able to develop starting pitching (or plus relief pitching).

Hopefully Whitley and JBB can change that. Valdez and James (and any of the other AAA pitching callups) have been disappointing this year.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

My name is Cy Sneed you better recognize.

#doggystyle

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. AstrosRockets1818

I'll be in Denver next week for the games. Who gonna pitch? BigCock and Sneed? Off Monday/Thursday so who knows how they will do it.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah not “plausible” for people to b**** a bit about a 7 game losing streak and then getting run at home 14-2 by the pirates. If you're not concerned about the way we are playing it must be because you’re so much smarter than other fans on a message board.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  8. SemisolidSnake

I think that's harsh and unnecessary. He was just asking what an industry term means. I admit I didn't understand what it meant either aside from that he's going back down to the minors. I usually get lost easily here or in the GARM when talk of moves and acquisitions starts taking place, because it can get very technical and convoluted very fast. Even looking up the specific definitions of something, it still might take a poster to explain it more simply.

And thank you for finding and posting the definition. It's way more detailed than I was expecting but also seems pretty clear as you read it. MLB seems to do a good job of that. I've learned something, and I appreciate it.

9. Major

Major Member

Well, you're the one that said it.

Buck Turgidson and Joe Joe like this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Plausible to b****, loosing sucks but I'm still confident they will get to 100 wins. I'm not too concerned. Last night's pitching is not what we're going to get in the playoffs. Valdez won't be making starts in the playoffs and Tyler White will not be our 9th inning guy (well...hopefully). They lost 7 in a row with their Round Rock boys and a returning Altuve. August 2017 was about as bad as their 100 loss seasons but they got that turned around. Get it right down the stretch, make a trade(s) for pitching, and then make it 2 championships in 3 years.

Tomstro and BigM like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

Oh dear lord sweet Pea. :(

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Well that sucked.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We should have kept Charlie.

CheezeyBoy22 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

I mean, I semi-watched most of last night, but I'm still pretty shocked at how depressing the box score is.

We GIDPed twice. Chirinos was involved in both, although the second one was the strikeout-caught stealing-rundown fiasco. Wished he'd bolted for home instead of jogging to his demise, though.

So, the Astros are indeed near the very top of the GIDP per team standings once again this year. For the whole league. 81 in 81 games, one fewer than LAA. A fact that I stumbled across while looking for this data is that Michael Brantley is second in the league for GIDP as a player with 14 so far. He's not even in in the top 50 for RBIs. Maaaaybe, we should stop having him batting in positions where runners are likely to be on base.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Astros haven't lost a home series this year.

Astros have lost at least 8 consecutive games in which they didn't score first. Most of those games were road -- they batted first.

CheezeyBoy22 and everyday eddie like this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

What a surprise.... Astros defense did NOT get the DP.

Pitcher must get every out singularly, thus throw more pitches and surrender more runs.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. texans1095

texans1095 Member

I repeat. We need starting pitching. Peacock/Miley/whoever else are not going to cut it.

CheezeyBoy22, J.R. and everyday eddie like this.
  19. AWIN

AWIN Member

Is White warming up in the bullpen?

CheezeyBoy22 and BigM like this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I don’t miss the NL Central.

Sheesh.

CheezeyBoy22 and SemisolidSnake like this.