1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can I ask you guys (Rox fans) an honest question?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SFbaybum, May 13, 2019.

1. AXG

AXG Member

I don't think iso ball is boring as long as the Rockets win. I also don't agree with the sentiment that Harden and Paul "flop." I'd say 90% of the calls are legit fouls. There are several of these breakdown videos which discuss.

Regarding the complaining about the officiating, I agree. Even though the Rockets are likely correct, there's nothing that can be done about it and the NBA doesn't seem to care. I thought the officiating was fair this playoffs. Game 7 of the 2018 WCF was a completely different story. Despite some of the calls, they had every opportunity to win and the Rockets didn't seal the deal. You can't blame the refs for that.

2. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

It’s annoying when it’s not working. The more annoying thing is when we’re so dogmatic about sticking to it that we become predictable, and we almost seem like we have no other play in our repertoire.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don’t get the bump. I get far more upset at the obvious, to me, bias by the refs towards Oakland, which we are seeing right now.

topfive likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

“flailing and flopping of arms, necks and legs everytime someone comes near CP3 or Harden..”

Biased statement. This is the public perception of harden but watch the game tapes closely and you’ll see that harden maneuvers himself in positions to get fouls and unfortunately a lot of the fouls weren’t called in the warriors series when multiple defenders were clearly In his landing space as a shooter. Harden rarely kicks his leg out to get contact unlike Steph curry. The issue is similar to Shaq where I believe harden gets fouled often due to opponents not being able to keep up with him. If you don’t believe me then watch past games video. That’s all I can say.

5. SemisolidSnake

Ok, sure. Let's do this.

Regarding complaining to the refs: I hate it when anybody does it in the game. It's dumb and does nothing and literally cannot do anything. I wish all the players would just shut up, ours and yours.

I also think that the way the NBA handles fouls calls and other calls is downright atrocious. At the very minimum, teams should have challenges they can use to revisit nearly any perceived bad call, and that includes fouls. The NBA already reviews fouls to see if they're flagrant; there's no argument that can made at that point that normal fouls shouldn't be reviewable. Along with a change to better review, I would want a change towards everybody shutting the **** up to the refs about bad calls during a game. Of course, this would require a highly-corrupt organization to try to straighten itself when it intentionally doesn't want to, so I don't expect anything like this. But STFU, anyway, Green and everyone else.

I also think Draymond Green plays very dirty and gets superstar non-foul treatment to at least the same level that you guys think Harden gets superstar foul treatment. And I think Green's a piece of **** person from everything I see about him. That said, he's extremely effective and probably the core to you guys winning. So very good job on that, Warriors, and also **** him.

I hate CP3's rip-throughs with the arms to draw fouls. I didn't like it when Durant perfected it, and I don't like it if it's our guy. I don't like when he flops to draw a charge or some crap either, even if it works.

I hate when any of our players plays to draw the foul. That means they're not really looking to make a shot, they're just looking to draw free throws. If you catch a guy jumping in mid-air at the arc, and you take the shot to draw some contact, that's the defender's fault. But blasting towards the basket just looking for contact and not the score, I don't like it. And, as Rockets' fan and member of these boards, I can tell that we are very well aware when Harden is trying to score and when he's just trying to draw a foul, and most of us dislike the latter. It doesn't typically work out well, either, and it's mainly seen in desperation or fits of laziness or whatever.

That said, Harden gets fouled A LOT more than fans in the rest of the league actually believe. He gets raked across the arms a lot. That's because he's the only guy strong enough and willing enough to take the risk to hold the ball out in front of him when he drives. And it's a real problem when you have no idea how he's going to be reffed game-to-game, even though he may play a very similar game. I don't think he looks any more flamboyant than a lot of players in the league when it comes to embellish contact, although it's still not enjoyable. But I can see that he's actually been fouled anyway on the replays. And, yes, because of his stepback three, he also has a lot of guys landing in his landing space, which is a foul.

I don't think any of us enjoys watching the shot clock be run down to nothing on isolation and then whatever happens happens. Is Harden able to effectively blow by just about anybody? Yeah. Might as well use that. But I vehemently hate the poor clock management and the stagnation of the offense that comes in using 20-23 seconds of the clock dribbling. I don't see that as quintessential ISOing; I see that as a bad mutation of a valid technique.

Oh, I also don't care about the written referreeing reports. The League is so untrustworthy and has such a bad referreeing system that I wish every team would do it as a matter of habit.

There are my honest answers to your questions.

tycoonchip and deb4rockets like this.
  6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That type of basketball was as bad as watching ISO I
    Yep to it all! I'll toast in agreement to those honest answers.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was like, is this football or basketball? I mean it was just like a Linebacker plowing his way to the QB. Shaq was just a big guy that was allowed to bully his way in, and that was his skill set. No Dream Shake moves, just bullying in. I didn't like Shaq, and thought his type playing ruined the skill of pure shooting basketball

I used to hate when James plowed his way in to the rim too, flailing his arms out, hooking other guys' arms and yanking up and just throwing the ball out. He wasn't even trying to shoot a lot of the time. I thought it was sickening to watch too. At least he actually tries to shoot more now instead of flailing so much. Now if only he would stop the constant dribble down the shot clock ISO we might be more fun to watch. Just let Chris do what he was brought here to do, and play point guard.

cheke64 likes this.
  8. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

This team definitely doesn't play smart, which is very frustrating, from the players to the head coach. Our GM is an MIT grad, yet our HC doesn't know how to call a timely TO nor make proper in game adjustments.

Movement is next to nill, we will ourselves to wins half the time just on talent alone. Then, let's talk about our shooting. Then, let's talk about our sulking when our shooting is off, as it is most nights, not all, but most. You'll find several players MIA or injured, and 2 very ball dominant players, fighting off their inner alpha just to make things click from time to time...

The blessing in this is our ultra aggressive GM who at least keeps the offseason and trade deadline very interesting. Jury is still out on our self-touted, aggressive new owner. A very soap opera of a team if I may...

jeevinesh likes this.
  9. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Man. Neutral fan here, and sure, I'm sick of some of the Rockets habits too. But did you REALLY think coming here and asking that a couple days after the Warriors eliminate the Rockets for the ninth time in the last five years* was a good, non-salt rubbing idea???

* Note: stats may be exaggerated or wholly made up

#109 PlayBall, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  10. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Yes. I love the Rockets and wish they'd stop hunting for calls and focus energy on getting back on defense.

Regarding style of play, I think the ball needs to move more so the rest of the team feel involved. I love some of Harden's finishes but it gets predictable especially at the end of the shot clock when he jacks up a three.

He should play off the ball more often