1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Registering to vote is silly

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jump Ship, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

You fit the stereotype of old people not caring about the environment.

2. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

You may fill out a voter registration application online, print it, sign it, and mail it to the voter registrar in your county of residence. You are not registered until you have filled out the online application, printed it, signed it, and mailed it to your local County Voter Registrar. Your County’s Voter Registrar will then process your application, and your registration becomes effective 30 days after it is submitted (and accepted) by the County Voter Registrar. The County Voter Registrar’s address can be found at the top of the online outputted voter registration application once you have submitted your information from the fill-in-the blanks screen.

Then buy envelopes

Buy Stamps
    https://store.usps.com/store/product/buy-stamps/john-fitzgerald-kennedy-S_474604

Mail Here (assuming you live in Harris County)

Ann Harris Bennett
    Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar
    P.O. Box 3527
    Houston, TX 77253-3527
    \\\

If you don't live in Harris County here is the list of Voter Registrars
    https://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/votregduties.shtml

And finally, this is how you address a letter.

Hope this gets you out and voting.

This can also be done in person at your local county court house, but this way you do not have to go outside. Alas, when the day does come to vote you will have to show up and do it, no online polls yet..

#22 CourtOfDreams, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Maybe they should teach y'all stuff like etiquette and doing stuff like mailing letters and thank you notes and invitations.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I can reassure you that piece of paper and stamp is much more environment friendly than those tide pod you ingest.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

6. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

Yeah man, those YouTubers should’ve got banned for pretending to eat jello filled tide pods and influencing dumbass gen z kids to do the same. Darwinism i guess.

Also, i have a lot more practice than you think. My recent super sweet 16 has given me a lot of real life experience, especially in mailing envelopes.

Thank you.

7. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

It doesnt take much effort to register. Pick up a form at the library, you dont even need a stamp.

But, it is ridiculous that you can't register online in Texas. Other states have it, why not Texas?

Jump Ship likes this.
  8. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

See, i knew something was up.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Agreed. It should be available online to register. Texas is currently a republican state and republicans try to deter more voters as evidence by the bills that Democrats just to pass to making voting easier but McConnell blocked it in the senate.

Jump Ship likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

When I got my license they asked me if I would like to register to vote, I said yes, that was it. Is the process different now?

Even if I didn't do it then, it's a simple process. I don't understand how so many drivers aren't registered to vote. I understand the Republicans are definitely trying to suppress voter turnout, that isn't even arguable, but it's so damn simple to get your license I have no sympathy for people too lazy to do it.

I bet people that complain about this are the same people that throw their trash on the roof of their car because walking 100 feet to the dumpster is too much trouble.

Rashmon likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Older people won't understand, but you are right and it is partially intended to make you not want to vote. Also partially, most of those who want you to vote are clueless about how most Americans actually live in terms of quality and lifestyle. Even those who grew up "regular" quickly become disconnected, after maybe a few years.

Generally speaking those who lean right (i.e. half the democratic party and most of the Republican party) want to discourage voter turnout because they know suppression of the vote results in an older and therefore likely more conservative vote. New voters want new things and they do not carry the artificial narrative associated with old problems. It's a lot of work to turn those kids, and it's cheaper/easier to keep them out.

It's a problem that's been known for decades and can be fixed for eternity with just a few months of work. But the right doesn't want to, and the left is busy dramatizing the narrative rather than actually doing work. They help each other while b****ing at each other, like a family.

DreamShook and Jump Ship like this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Seriously, filling out a form and mailing it in is voter suppression?

Also, I suspect most school districts in Texas do this:

Pursuant to Texas state law, all HISD high school principals are designated high school deputy voter registrars and are required to register eligible students by distributing voter registration forms at least twice during the school year.

Voter registration cards are always available on all HISD high school campuses to encourage eligible students to register to vote.

BruceAndre and King1 like this.
  13. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

If you had to do it online, some people would complain about that too.

I've never actually mailed in a form to register to vote. I always see register to vote drives, and so when I saw one, I would just sign up there. Took 2 minutes of my time.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is about gamesmanship
    Once you realize that our government is not about the people
    but about a small group of people gaining and maintaining power

They REALLY don't want everyone to have a voice
    Just their people

There comes a point where making it difficult to vote and preventing voting
    is more important and beneficial . . . .
    Look at that happened in Florida and Georgia where they blatantly stole the elections
    Florida started . .. or rather started being blatant in 2000 when they swayed the and manipulated the vote for W

Rocket River

DreamShook and Jump Ship like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Step 1: If you get a SSN or Green Card etc - All of those ask for Date of Birth, correct? So as soon as your 18th Birthday happens you automatically registered.
    Step 2: Make Elections a national Holiday. In fact make it Monday and Tuesday . . .so those that MUST WORK on Monday can vote on Tuesday. (Half could work monday and the other half tuesday)

Rocket River
    but that is if you REALLY want people to vote

Rashmon likes this.
  16. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you do that makes you think that you are environmentally friendly?

I am curious when people bring this up. I actually work in an industry that deals extensively with conservation and environmental matters. I've learned over the years that a lot of people who trumpet environmental causes are not always walking the walk while talking the talk.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

I drive an eco friendly car with good mileage. I refuse to buy a big car or truck unless it is for work, and believe everyone should follow suit or go electric/solar. I never litter and clean up after myself everywhere. I use a bidet because it cuts down on the usage of toilet paper. I try to minimize energy consumption by using a space heater in the winters and washing dishes daily to avoid using the dish washer. I recycle whenever i see the option made available. I always greet everyone with a smile because I subscribe to the belief that being friendly makes people more environmentally friendly. I try to cut down on gas usage by spending time in areas if I have another appointment in the area.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL at the ads at the bottom of this page. Walking canes.....

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Os Trigonum likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

In 2019, absolutely filling out a form by hand and mailing it in is directly and indirectly creating a absurd and minor barrier

It's psychology. Today, if there's an app that asks you to fill 3 more boxes in an online form, you are not using that app ever and you will never give it another try. That's the generation that has to fill in a form and mail it in. Most of them already feel disenfranchised. Most of them already cannot understand the jargon these politicians throw around. They can't relate to most of them.

Some, like Bernie, are just ignoring about this and others are acting like they don't know this is a problem because it suits them. No one mails dude. Young people don't know how to mail, they don't need it for anything, and they will never need for anything in the future. Why make them do this irritating menial thing A MONTH BEFORE. It's really so absurd.

You can and should be able to have a week off prior to voting (for stress and research purposes) and at worst you should be able to walk somewhere close by and do it instantly with a government id card of some sort, eye scan and/or fingerprint.

DreamShook likes this.