1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Francis has to go for this team to win consistently

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Put me down for trade the Scarecrow. I said 2+ years ago to trade Griffin. Now this past year, I've been for unloading Steve before his value drops lower - and it may be too late.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Francis's Stats tonite
    3-17 shooting
    5 rebounds
    13 asst
    2 Steals
    4 turnovers
    7 points

Take away his shooting Woes - WOULD YOU LIKE THAT STAT LINE?

We wanted a PASS 1st Guard
    Well . . . .looks like he is getting the pass down

we cannot be patient about the shooting? Which he had b4???

Rocket River

3. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Bad, bad logic ....
    We did not lose because Steve dished out assists!!
    We were in the game because Steve dished out assists.

Ask yourself this question: Everything being equal, if Francis did NOT dish out assist, what happens?
    The fact is that Steve needs to make a few shots.... but in a night when he could not hit the side of a barn, pass the ball to JJ or MoT for christsake!
    Bibby 11-18 FG, 28 pts.
    The only right statement.
    You have no credibility whatsoever for saying something like that.
    Steve played 44 mins. 4 minutes of bad play by the Rockets when he was out was more of a coincidence than anything else. Yao got 2 TOs, JJ missed a shot, MJ lost a ball and missed a shot. If you think Steve can reorganize the team or correct those errors in those 4 minutes than u r delusional.

4. farhan007

farhan007 Member

it wa 13 assists. so 13X2 =26. Plus thats the minimum, becasue i didnt include threes.

5. farhan007

farhan007 Member

He doest force shots!!! Ya he took 17 shots, but most were considered good shots. You saw at the last 5 minutes he never took an atempt. HE always looked for the pass . HE knew he was shooting horribly

6. ragingFire

Had Steve gone 3-50 FG with 13 assists to get the 33 pts, would you still say he was better than Bibby?

The formula u want to use is the Efficiency rating.
    Efficiency Formula: ((PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK) - ((FGA - FGM) + (FTA - FTM) + TO)) / G

Steve (7+5+13+2+1)-((17-3)+(2-1)+4) = 9

Bibby (28+5+2+3+0)-((18-11)+(4-3)+2) = 28

Cat (19+5+0+2+0)-((18-7)+(2-2)+4) = 11

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Difference is, Cat CAN SHOOT. If SF have the shooting ability that Cat has, he will be unstoppable.

I'm so frustrated that even with one of the all time best jump shooter work for Rockets organization, SF still can't learn a damn thing about stop and pop.

And he is one of the stupidest player I ever seen to play in NBA, when he drive to the basket for first 2 shots and gets no call, he should known how refs is calling the game, but he still tried to jump over 7 footers and create contact, why can't you just learn stop and shoot the damn rocks?!!!

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Is DaDakota really a woman?

9. Cesar^Geronimo

Francis doesn't fit with Van Gundy's scheme.

He would still be putting up superstar numbers somewhere like Dallas or Sacramento. A wide open running offense where he can create.

It would be the best thing for Francis and the Rockets if they traded him --- if the Rockets don't do well the rest of the year Francis will be gone. Yao is too important to the franchise to let him go.

10. javilo

javilo Member

SF Is the same player he was when he was at Maryland........Relied on his athletic ability but in the NBA....you need more than that. You need NBA SMARTS. I have yet to see him actually Sprint with the ball down the court instead of doing that stupid skip down the court dribble. If you watch BIBBY....he gets the ball and takes off and makes you foul him. SF lets you set up on defense so he can try and cross you over....Trying to make a highlight real......The ROCKETS have never been about highlight reels unless its HAKEEM Blocking a shot. I would have Rather given the Millions we gave steve to someone like Gilbert Arenas or nick van exel...I think thats how you spell his name. Anyway. I agree with some other guys in this forum when they state that its time to REBUILD around YAO and get rid of the rest....Who dont want to play team ball!!!!!! Thank you for reading.:D

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Can anyone remember the last time Francis actually drove down the lane and put up an easy layup? Francis's insistance on trying to draw a foul by hanging in the air and putting up some circus shot has got to stop. It's become so rediculous that even Bill & Calvin are cracking on him about it. I actually think the only reason he does it is so he can yell, "And One!" to everybody. Come on Steve, you got to play smarter than that.

12. jeff from vandy

jeff from vandy Contributing Member

I TOTALY saw this and was like, "WTF?" Steve is getting torched and shoots worse then the girls at half-time and has the balls to b**** at Boki? Steve made me want to puke, he is the most over-rated player I have ever seen, yet he wants to act as a star. If he starts the All-Star game, it will be a disgrace.

13. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Cant believe people are so tied up w/ bashing Francis that no one noticed the CRAPPY effort Yao put up in the fourth. The dude got himself benched w/ 3 minutes to go w/ the game still on the line.
    I was at the game and noticed quite a few things about Yao and his aggressiveness. He wasnt tonite. Plain and simple. When u r at the game, u can actually see the double teams coming, and wether players are sagging or zoning on him. The Kings werent doing that. They let him get the ball. They were slow to double. And the help came from behind Yao, the baseline. He usually had the space to work with. But all he did was hold the freaking ball and wait for the double to come! Seriously. I noted it to a couple my friends and believe or not, on consecutive possesions in the fourth, we counted 'one thousand one......one thousand four, and dude still hadnt made a move. Instead, he waited for the double to come and just passed the ball away. And usually not good passes either. Five turnovers. Just watch the tape.

Hey DaDa, u want the leader of your team to only take 10 shots a game? When he is not being fronted, he should destroy Divac. No excuse for this game. :mad: And dont say he didnt have the ball, cause he DID. At least Francis had the balls to take the ball repeatedly at the basket, since his shots werent falling. I guarantee you, if u watch the tape, Francis had more shots in the paint than Yao. Now tell me, is that excusable for a 7'6 monster? I am just pissed that after reading all the 'next couple games, more doors will open for me....i'm gonna attack first....' stuff, and after destroying the Magic, he can come back and put forth such a passive effort. Dude, where is your passion?

I can say this. Both Francis and Yao might have had bad games, but at least Francis was aggressive. I still think if his shot comes back, Francis can fit just fine. :cool:

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think he threw the ball out of frustration from putting up another brick on the other end of the court. I don't think that anger was directed at Boki.

15. jacago

jacago Member

The 'pure point-production' comparison you made is too simple, even naive.
    Take the NBA efficiency fomula, SF is 9, BBis 23. Enough said.
    If SF takes 6 shots instead of 17, hits 3 of them, his efficiency would be 20.

16. ragingFire

I looked at the tape.

After Steve threw the ball into the back support, it looked like he chewed out Boki, he looked mad and Boki tried to explain.

It probably came out of frustration. A 1 time aberation is no big deal. Let's hope it does not happen regularly.

17. brocktoon

brocktoon Contributing Member

I was at the game and I think I saw JVG talking to Steve about just that during a time out. It looked like he was motioning for him to go straight up strong. Hopefully he'll start listening to his advice.

Francis definitely had a REALLY bad shooting night, but I don't think he had a bad all-around game. Even though Bibby scored a lot, it wasn't one-on-one defense. It was open shots where his defender had to rotate for a double-team or some really tough shots with a guy in his face. Also, I think Francis ran the offense pretty well, as exhibited by his 13 assists. He just needs to flat out shoot better. His off-season regimen should consist of a thousand mid-range jumpshots a day (minimum).

One thing I'm sick of is being at the game, and fans bashing Francis on every play...whether Francis had anything to do with the play or not. Its f-ing ridiculous. I really can't understand "fans" who boo or heckle their own team. These kind of "fans" are more annoying to me than the obnoxious fans for other teams.

18. ragingFire

Yao shot 5-10 FG, 11 reb, 5 TOs. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible.
    The efficiency rating for Yao was:
    (12+ 11+ 2 + 0 +1) - ((10-5) + (3-2) +5) = 15.

JJ 37, MoT 25, Cat 11, Steve 9, Cato 3.

Look at the tape. Yao passed out of double team when he saw it, like you want a team player should do. He shot when guarded 1-1. He got the ball stripped with the double team from the blind side.

You rather him play more aggressive, go against double team so he can lose the ball more or to shoot over 2, 3 people and put up air ball like your idol?

Noone used any excuse for Yao. You are the one who made all the acusation with selective memory.

19. buddry

buddry Member

Even with Steve's poor shooting, they still should have one. It came down to all the stupid turnovers that they had. 24 is way too many. If they hit thier season average of 17 or so, they win this easily.

20. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Francis needs to be moved to the two plain and simple! In Rudy's offense he could play the point, but in JVG's offense he is asked to be a more traditional point guard and he's just not! I know he can't guard 1's let alone 2's but JVG teaches a real good team defense and I think one bad defender can be covered up with hustle. IMO Mobley will be gone in the offseason - has to be! It may take a while for Steve to get use to playing the 2 but in the end it the best option for the team.

We don't need an all-star point who get 10 dimes a game. Just a solid defenender who plays very smart and makes good decisions.