1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis has to go for this team to win consistently

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Is Steve improving right now?

No. He's adjusting.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Now this is funny.

:)

DD

3. Howyalikemenow

*Yawn*

Fairweather post! These posts are so lame, and you know they're coming after we lose. Whoever plays badly that game gets blamed. Get a grip DaDakota and followers.

Surprised there's not a M. Jackson thread circling around for his bad play too, but the day just started.

4. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, he needs to go ... hang out with Calvin Murphy and learn to shoot the ball.

5. DaDakota

This is where the ignorance of the masses surprises me.

Francis has not just been playing bad for 1 game...but for 5 FRICKEN YEARS !!!!

He has NEVER figured out how to win in the NBA, he panics under pressure, and has made 5 years of bad decisions.

I loved getting Francis, now he is the most frustrating player I have ever seen.

I am telling you that once his athleticism goes.....he will have NOTHING to offer, so why not trade him now while his value is still high.

I have seen enough...Francis is willing, but is not able to do what it takes, be it mental, or physical, he is just not a good team player or leader.

DD

6. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

ragingfire, this is a real game, not a fantasy game. Trust me, i have Yao in my fantasy team, and he does wonders. so what? tell u what, since u r all in this efficiency stuff, count Yao's effeiciency in the fourth quarter, eh?
    And no, Steve is not my idol. where did u get that? just cause i said he was more aggressive, he is my idol? u blame me of selective memory :rolleyes:
    And yeah, i do want yao to shoot more. Duncan, Shaq etc. get doubled every time as well. They only take 6-10 shots a game? What they do is adjust. Of course u pass the ball when they are all over u, like Miami was. Sacramento wasnt. If u read my post, i said Yao waited for the double to come to pass the ball. why? make your move quick before they come and put up a shot! especially since u know Steve and Cat are not shooting good and they way the team is turning the ball over, u might not get the ball back on that possession. Be aggressive. Be hungry.

7. amed

amed Contributing Member

If Steve goes who in the hell is gonna be our pg? Mark freaking Jackson?

8. amed

amed Contributing Member

We have to keep Steve, he is just not playing his type of ball. Van Gundy's offense is not for steve's game.

9. Juugie

Juugie Member

I know a lot of people here hate Steve Francis. But like it or not, this team is never going anywhere without him scoring near 20ppg.

Yao doesn't have a scorer's mentality. He'll do a lot of the small things but he's not going to look to go of for 30 a night. He only averaged around 30 in the CBA so you can't expect him to do the same here.

For me, it comes down to coaching.

If you have a player that's not shooting well, a good coach will run a couple of plays to get him going. How many times has JVG run a play to get SF an easy layup or run him off some double screens to get him some open looks? None.

We spens so much time trying to help Yao be succesful - making sure he gets the ball where he likes it or moving him out to get him better shots or flashing him to the basket to get him some easy attempts. But for Steve, it's just go score on your own. Heck, half of the time he's trying to drive, their oare two of our own big men and three defenders in the paint.

Steve is pressing. You can see it. His response to his slump is to try harder which is leading to more turnovers and worse shooting.

He needs to relax. The team should help him get going because if we ever get his offensive game back to go with the improved defense, this team will be much tougher to beat.

Maybe we could run some high post with Yao and vacate the paint so that the SF, CM,a nd JJ can cut to the basket for layups ala Sacramento and Utah.

I don't know. But I do know it's the coaches job to help players be successful and I don't think JVG is doing that in regards to Steve. Not everything for him has to be one on one.

10. DaDakota

I do agree with this somewhat and was wondering why JVG does not let JJ bring the ball up in crucial times of the game, like the end of quarter etc.

Have your best decision maker put in place to make a good decision.....at least we can all agree that Steve is NOT that person.

DD

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've seen plenty of plays run for Steve. Only thing is when he receives the ball instead of shooting the quick open jumper he stands there like a deer in headlights and trys to take his man off the dribble. Also, there is no need to run plays for Francis when Bibby leaves him wide open on the perimeter because he knows he can't make a shot.

12. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

Steve has been playing the point guard well the past 4 seasons, just because he's having 1 bad season so far doesnt mean you should move in to the 2 guard. Someone needs to just start a rumor that he's going to be traded, and maybe he'll step up his game.

13. Howyalikemenow

Maybe it's the "ignorance" of the few?

PPG RB Assists
    18 6+ 5.3
    19.9 6+ 6.7
    21.6 6+ 7
    21.0 6+ 6.2
    16.4 6+ 5.6

"5 FRICKEN YEARS" really???

Look man, I know it sucks when we lose, and yeah Francis' numbers have dropped a few points in shooting, but 16.4 is still high for a point guard. Simply put, you're not going to find anyone that can post these numbers day in and day out for 5 years, well, maybe a few i.e. Oscar Robertson.

Just as he might do something unorthodox and turn it over, at the same time, he'll climb over centers and forwards to rebound offensively and slam it back in the rim. Can Bibby do that? Uh, no. If he shot for 27 points and 3 assists, he'd get yelled at for not passing. He can't win with some people.

Seriously, be content with the team we got, because there's 20 some-odd other teams out there that'd switch in a heartbeat. They're turning the corner even in loses, you can see it.

Go Rockets. :)

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Did anyone notice when exactly we lost our lead? The 3 minutes JVG takes SF out, we fall apart. I'm not saying Steve is the awsome and all the other stuff, but I am saying that he still makes this team run. How many leads have we lost when SF is out of the game? JVG has to give him rest sometime, it just sucks that JVG doesn't manage his minutes well and is forced to sit him in the 4th quarter.

We just lost to one of the best teams in the league, the world is not over. Memphis lost to a worst team, Wolves lost to a much worst team, the Mavs lost to a much, much worst team.

I want the Rockets to win every single game, but I know it's not going to happen. Every team has it's ups and downs, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Everyone needs to relax or we're all going to start looking like JVG. :(

15. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Forget the stats. Francis is the most talented player in the league. Just remember that goaltending call last night. How high did he jump. And yes he did have all those assists. But like the thread I started last week, he's got a 10 cent brain. Man he just doesn't make smart decisions, especially at the end of quarters and games. Let's trade him before everyone in the league realizes who he really is.

16. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Fair and Good.

17. solidrocketfan

solidrocketfan Contributing Member

Keep this team together and they will continue to improve to the point where they legitimate contenders for the Finals. Toss Steve out now or this summer and they will be taking a huge step back just like Phoenix did when they traded Starbury.

18. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I like Yao the most but I hate him not being aggressive last night.

I don't like SF because I think he is not a smart player and always makes stupid play again and again, however, I don't think the recent shooting slump is his true color either, he is way better than this.

He is obviously adjusting his game, trying to play smart and playing half court bball. He cut his run and gun game, which is his greatest strength, a lot to fit the team play. But he is not a open shooter, he shoots worse than Cat, which is a big reason I think he won't be successful playing at 2.

He need time to find his role in the new system, the system is exactly the opposite to his old game. He is experiencing the same thing Yao had under Larry Smith last season. He is confused, he is losing his confidence and he need support!!!

Give him time and don't give up him!!!

19. DaDakota

And the only one that matters ZERO playoff appearances.

His act is tired and old, and he has not grown....look at his numbers.....are they trending up or down?

If he has suddenly become a better PG, why are his assists DOWN this year when he has more talent around him?

The bottom line is I don't think Steve is a winner.

DD

20. Charvo

Charvo Member

Mark Jackson had a -1 on NBA.com's efficiency ratings. I believe guys like Mark and Yao play much better in a slowdown kind of game. These are the kinds of games in which the guards must go down the court to handle the fastbreak. Screw the offensive rebounding. Guards need to get down the court pronto to set up the defense.